Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are people going?

Default Where are people going?

As in, what locations did you put on your application?

I picked:

1. Sapporo
    2. Kanagawa
    3. Nara

How much do these choices matter? Do they send you whereever they need you or what?

David

Asked for Kanto urban, with a bit of a waiver in the "why" written as to why I asked for that location. Told 'em anywhere in Kanto is fine. Too fond of traffic and constant busy-ness!

Unless you can give a really really good reason for being placed where you've chosen (like family or maybe some prior ties like having been there for studu/homestay) then it really seems to lottery as to where you get placed.

I chose Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe), Urban, Senior High School. In my interview I was sure that I had convinced them that I was right to go there...I had stated my reasons clearly and concisely, I had told them of my confirmed status as a City Girl after having grown up in small town hell and escaped age 17 vowing never to go back...

...and I ended up in inakaville, Toyama, population 21000.

I did at least get senior high school!

First of all it depends on how many people are leaving as to how many places there are to fill. Also as each year goes on they seem to be cutting out jobs or combining them as towns join together. Also, it depends on the popularity of where you've chosen. So if you choose rural and somewhere like northern Hokkaido, then you will probably get it.

They also seem to have requests from the specific towns/schools as to what they want. For example all the JETs at my school have been British, and predominantly female. I noticed that this year all the JETs going to the Osaka urban area seemed to be predominantly American and Male. I heard of one school in my prefecture that swore to never again have an american guy because the last one kept getting in trouble with the police for drunk driving...

There are rumours abound as to why you get placed where you do. One person told me at orientation that the people who go to cities are people who they think are more independent because a city can swallow you whole if you're not careful...but then someone else told me that they send the younger, less world-wise JETs to cities because they tend to have a better life-support structure there than they would do out in the countryside. Neither really makes sense to me...

It seems to me that the majority of people don't get what they picked, but it's those people who end up being happiest...

Whatever happens - good luck!
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

Chiara speaks wise words. It does seem awfully random, but here are some examples I know of that make a kinda sense:

A friend of mine who speaks excellent Japanese is in deepest inaka with lots of monkeys.

I'm a vegetarian and ended up getting placed in the Hiroshima suburbs, which has been really handy (it was my second choice placement.) Another vegetarian friend was also placed quite close-ish to the city.

Then again, Chiara, you're veggie, aren't you? And you're in inaka, so there goes my theory.

It's all random, then! Never mind!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chiara
    First of all it depends on how many people are leaving as to how many places there are to fill. Also as each year goes on they seem to be cutting out jobs or combining them as towns join together. Also, it depends on the popularity of where you've chosen. So if you choose rural and somewhere like northern Hokkaido, then you will probably get it.

They also seem to have requests from the specific towns/schools as to what they want. For example all the JETs at my school have been British, and predominantly female. I noticed that this year all the JETs going to the Osaka urban area seemed to be predominantly American and Male. I heard of one school in my prefecture that swore to never again have an american guy because the last one kept getting in trouble with the police for drunk driving...
    This was what we were told in the States too, at a meeting with some paperwork slaves. In the application it's written that where you ask to be placed won't affect your chances of being hired because even the most guaranteed spaces can blink closed - separate system, separate process. Being ideal for a place can't hurt, but if a position there doesn't open you're at the bottom of a new list. Chances are highest you'll end up where you want if you pick somewhere where traffic moves fast - but that could mean anything depending on rural or urban, and turnover statistics don't mean much if you end up being 10th in a stack of similar requests. Could be that 121 Saitama requests get filled ahead of you, or all the Saitama JETs recontract at once and lock out the 500+ who requested it because they thought they'd have a better chance getting in (Saitama population source: thin air). And like Chiara said, better, and I should stop writing now for just saying the same thing, JET hires and sets up handshakes but Town X might reject your app for any personal reason.

One person told me at orientation that the people who go to cities are people who they think are more independent because a city can swallow you whole if you're not careful...but then someone else told me that they send the younger, less world-wise JETs to cities because they tend to have a better life-support structure there than they would do out in the countryside.
    Agghhhhh the frustration! Want city so badly...

Aside: Oh my God! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Only mention because I didn't know.

I know a guy who lived in Osaka, has a g/f in osaka and requested Osaka and then was told he was going to inaka in Oita.

there seems to be no system and it is completely random. I was lucky with my placement, but I know many who weren't so. BUT it is what you make it. Don't worry about not being in tokyo or some other major city because you will have a wonderful time wherever you end up!!
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

I also know a guy who went to Osaka, has a girlfriend in Osaka and got placed in Osaka. But yeah, you should expect to be placed in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Pandilex

I also put Osaka for a ton of reasons... I really hope I get it, but it definately seems unlikely.

Yeah Dob...I am veggie but got stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Not too difficult though as I have a good supermarket in my town. I have eaten fish a few times though, when it's been the only alternative to something with a sausage stuck inside it!

I did realise yesterday though that the Knor Tomato cupasoups I've been buying have got some kind of 肉エキス in them. Don't know how I missed it as I scoured the ingredients list before buying. Boo. Maybe that explains why they tasted so nice! 

And reed, thanks for the compliment, but look at (or rather dont!) the next one in the series taken after a few hours nomihoudai with the makeup all over the place and the unflattering pose, and I'm sure you'd change your mind :P
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

Yeah Dob...I am veggie but got stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Not too difficult though as I have a good supermarket in my town.
    Yeah, it's weird that they'd send you there but you seem to be enjoying it, right?

If you're ever near Hiroshima I'll make you some beans on toast!

> I'll make you some beans on toast!

Heh. Is that the limit of your cooking expertise or can't you get any other western ingredients?

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY

Heh. Is that the limit of your cooking expertise or can't you get any other western ingredients?
    You'll understand when you get here. :wink:

I put down 3 southern Honshu choices and got none of them, but the cliche is true that you'll most likely end up loving wherever they put you as that place will become "Japan" for you.

I love Shimane and more specifically Taisha, my little slice of the Japanese pie, but I'd never heard of the place before I got my acceptance letter.

Basically I just made it clear in my interview that I wanted somewhere in the south as I really didn't want to live in too much snow. I grew up in California and Texas and have never lived in snow.

Have a reason for your choices and they'll pay attention, altho you still might not get the specific choice you asked for.

And like 70% of the placements are "rural" more or less, so be prepared for that. They tell you at orientation that many of you will not see Tokto again until you fly home and it's truer than you might expect.

Good Luck.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison

I want beans on toast, oh how I misss those juicy beans! AND real cheese (not plastic cheese)

Dob, I beg you, make me some beans on toast!!!

Hannah in a place with no beans! :cry:
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

It's in the post, Hannah.

Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah

I want beans on toast, oh how I misss those juicy beans! AND real cheese (not plastic cheese)

WTF? How can they NOT have BEANS!? I mean, c'mon... tofu is made from the stuff.
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgoofball
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah

WTF? How can they NOT have BEANS!? I mean, c'mon... tofu is made from the stuff.
    Contrary to popular belief, Heinz is not a type of Bean, and is not in the same family as Green Beans or Kidney Beans.

Also Beans do not naturally grow in vats of Tomato Sauce.

Oh they have beans alright, but red beans... in EVERYTHING!

You bite into a lovely cake, or bread that you think has chocolate in it, and OH! The disappointment!

Don't be fooled by anything with a cute round face either... That will be Anpanman. He is the god of all red bean products!

Beware the Anpanman...

Take care everybody

They do have baked beans in the big cities in some foreign food shops, but they're hard to find.