Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning Japanese

Default Re: Learning Japanese

enigmaneo: Hm that's true, but trouble is texting in Japanese in America. *laughs* My phone barely stays alive, it's a pain-in-the-butt Blackberry. -_- I wonder how much Kanji is appropriate to know..there seems to be some Kanji that would never be used in ordinary life..

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

Supposedly, you need to know 1,000 kanji or more to be able to read most of the newspaper.

I've stopped studying kanji as much and decided to focus more on vocabulary/speaking/listening, because communication is more important than reading for me.

Studying kanji is what actually helps with my vocab. One, so many words sound alike I use the meaning and readings to figure words out when I speak and listen. Also, studying Kanji you HAVE to study vocab. I mean, i can understand why you wouldn't want to study Kanji but I think not studying Kanji would make you less communicable. Would just result in you not being able to read which probably will help you be more communicable in the long run.

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaneo View Post
    I mean, i can understand why you wouldn't want to study Kanji but I think not studying Kanji would make you less communicable. Would just result in you not being able to read which probably will help you be more communicable in the long run.
    I don't know about that, I know a few people who chose to focus on speaking/listening over kanji, they're now fluent in spoken Japanese and get along fine. An electronic dictionary or asking someone nearby solves most of their kanji questions.

If your goal is to read a lot or do translation, obviously it's going to be pretty important, but if you just want to be able to talk with people... maybe not so much.

Well, I'm just curious you say you drop the kanji but and only study vocab. For me studying vocab is a must. Studying Kanji isn't a must, but since almost all vocab is in the form of Kanji why not study them together. It doesn't really slow down my retention or learning. When I attach the Kanji to the vocab I learn, and like I said if you decide to become very communicative in Japanese being able to read will definitely help. It was also help your verbal communication to. I just think that studyingg Kanji along with vocab doesn't slow you down but helps you in the long run. Of course you can go the route without it to. I never said that you couldn't.

well it's got to be a matter of what you're emphasizing, right? it'd be kind of stupid to avoid kanji altogether, but I could see someone focusing on communication and doing kanji just lightly enough to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixy_Teri View Post
    enigmaneo: Hm that's true, but trouble is texting in Japanese in America. *laughs* My phone barely stays alive, it's a pain-in-the-butt Blackberry. -_- I wonder how much Kanji is appropriate to know..there seems to be some Kanji that would never be used in ordinary life..
    Well if you live in America then I guess that would be a little bit hader to text with someone in Japan. How much kanji is appropriate is a little bit irrelevant. You could use as much or as little as you want. You're learning Japanese and you'll learn from texting what should be in Kanji and what shouldn't be. The battery issue, hmm...I can't help you. Perhaps new battery? I was just saying that texting helped not only my Kanji but to learn more natural sayings from people. Besides when texting people don't tned to use super hard kanji anyway.

I have one website from which you can find out your queries.I hope it will be useful to you.

Learning Japanese