Thread: Detective Game - Help!

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Detective Game - Help!

Hey all! I need to come up with a game to practice 'Who, What, Where, When' with my 7th years.

I want to do a detective game of some sort, but I'm having trouble figuring out the beats. Anyone have some advice? The game should take about 30 minutes...
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

FiercestCalm

Default Re: Detective Game - Help!

Maybe just an information gap game? Print out a few different sheets and have students try and come up with what was stolen, who did it, where they did it, and when they did it. They walk around and can ask one question, like "Who stole it?" When they get all the answers, they win points or a sticker or something.

For example... um. Who stole something from Mario?

There are four different sheets, with
    Peach stole it.
    She stole his hat.
    She stole it in the castle.
    She stole it last night.

i got my who killed hello kitty game from here JHS_Textbook_Game_DunDunDunDetectives

it was very enjoyable but it wont take up to 30mins, maybe 15?
    i started the game with my pictures of a dead hello kitty and the clues. i used this game from jhs 2-3rd years and it worked fairly well. the key is to get someone u know would be good at keeping the secret while paritcipating at the same time to be the murderer. boys and girls often dont want to ask each other so i stir them up a bit and tell the girls its a boy and vice versa to make them ask the other sex
    if u want to make it llast 30mins i guess u can expland on the game and include more details for the kids to ask!
    Last edited by kawyn; December 5th, 2009 at 18:45.

Burasuto from the pasuto. Wanderlust King's Avatar

Kawyn, that sounds good, but it seems to me like that game would be over super quick! I mean, the killer is gonna be discovered by the very first person that interviews him. That first kid now has 10-15 minutes to sit and do nothing, or blab to his friends who the killer is.

What about taking those Mission Cards and turning them into Information Cards about other students?

Card Example:
    Tanaka Shunsuke is a singer.

Erika Yamaguchi was at Hello Kitty’s house.

Marina Yamashita had apples for lunch.

This would require that the students HAVE to interview multiple people to piece together information. Takes more time and more thinking, and there wouldn't be students finishing in less than a minute.

You've inspired me, I think I might use this game next week!

thats why choosing the murderer is the key
    if the jte has a good relationship with the students i would often make the jte the murderer and the students wonder around asking other students and the jte and i would chat for a bit before i let him/her go for the kids to ask them.

if the murderer is a kid then i would lie to them there are more murderers so they keep asking and asking to look for the nonexsistant murderer.

the best part is when i see their bored zombie faces light up and go WTF when i show them a picture of a murdered hello kitty plus the clues! lying to them then go "oops i thought there was another murderer" is the second best bit!

its a good game to base on, doing ur own version to suit whatever you want to incorporate is even better!