Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quitting JET, how do I find a job?

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    1) job experience
    2) advanced degree
    3) 2-kyuu/1-kyuu

pick at least two.
    OK, well, I should mention that this job fair was aimed at study abroad students who wanted to stay in Japan after graduation. I was one of very few people there who actually had graduated from college almost two years ago.

The job I was looking at required neither experience nor an particular degree. It was a communication job. Basically, it was a coordinator between factories in different countries, making sure they have their supplies in order. It didn't look like a particularly difficult job, and it was much higher paying than JET. They were looking for native English speakers however. JLPT-2 level seemed fine. The only drawback was they were hiring for April starts.

A few jobs were looking for JLPT Level 1 explicitly, but then they also listed 中国人 as "strongly preferred."

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    OK, well, I should mention that this job fair was aimed at study abroad students who wanted to stay in Japan after graduation. I was one of very few people there who actually had graduated from college almost two years ago.

The job I was looking at required neither experience nor an particular degree. It was a communication job. Basically, it was a coordinator between factories in different countries, making sure they have their supplies in order. It didn't look like a particularly difficult job, and it was much higher paying than JET. They were looking for native English speakers however. JLPT-2 level seemed fine. The only drawback was they were hiring for April starts.

A few jobs were looking for JLPT Level 1 explicitly, but then they also listed 中国人 as "strongly preferred."
    That sounds exactly what my girlfriend does at her company; but man, I'd break contract in a heartbeat to do that.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Quitting JET, how do I find a job?

i mean breaking contract is not something i would ever recommend. but do you lot know that starting next year they are upping the amount of april hires from Australia and new zeleand in order to combate the amount of "april quitters"
    it works out best for those two countries, as their university graduation dates fit on an april hire schedule better than those of 英 米 加...
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

you forgot 波
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; December 18th, 2009 at 11:21.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

its was one of the .'s in ...

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80 View Post
    i mean breaking contract is not something i would ever recommend. but do you lot know that starting next year they are upping the amount of april hires from Australia and new zeleand in order to combate the amount of "april quitters"
    it works out best for those two countries, as their university graduation dates fit on an april hire schedule better than those of 英 米 加...
    You mean JET is hiring in April from Aust and NZ, or other companies?

JET

That's fab in theory. In practice your graduation from an Australian university happens whenever they feel like it. Mine was scheduled for April then got moved to June. I'm glad that policy wasn't in place when I came over.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Just to clarify, there's no opportunities if you dont have *some* Japanese ability, correct?

I was thinking about trying to find a job after JET, and I've been informed by some folk in the industry that some IT jobs don't require J-go (or at least, very little), and yet I'm not so sure about that. I have plenty of IT industry experience and the associated pieces of paper, but my J-go sucks...
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

I know a few Brazilians who work in factories and don't have any J-go....
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby View Post
    Just to clarify, there's no opportunities if you dont have *some* Japanese ability, correct?

I was thinking about trying to find a job after JET, and I've been informed by some folk in the industry that some IT jobs don't require J-go (or at least, very little), and yet I'm not so sure about that. I have plenty of IT industry experience and the associated pieces of paper, but my J-go sucks...
    Depends on where you're trying to work. If you're an international company (think, for example, Microsoft or Coca-Cola), Japanese is probably not as important as it would be if you wanted to work at somewhere like NTT Docomo or Rakuten. I'd recommend looking for IT at places that cater to foreigners, like Kansai Scene magazine, or something similar that will have a large amount of English speaking staff.

Most listings I've seen though, need at least a speaking level Japanese. Of course, if you're working at some factory, then yeah, I don't think they care what language you speak, as long as you're cheap labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby View Post

I know a guy who works in IT for a small bank in Tokyo who had limited Japanese when he got the job about 7 years ago. It's passable now, but not great still.

Likewise, I had a friend in Kansai who edited adult videos despite his less-than-stellar Japanese.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.