Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Interview...

Pandilex

Default First Interview...

Today one of my friends told me he has an interview. I haven't heard anything yet, but I thought I'd let people know... This is in the UK, and he applied via London Embassy.

Pandilex

Apparently his interview is early January, so it gives other applicants some idea of when to expect theirs, I imagine.

I really wish I hadn't read this now .

Do they use your term time address or your permanent addy I wonder? Because I'm leaving Uni on Friday and won't be back until around the 4th of Jan.

I was told that I had an interview a year ago today, my interview was on the 19th of December. Luckily I wasn't at uni at the time so it only got in the way of work, but we could all live with that.

yabighoor

They`ll use your permenant address to send all documents, but I wouldn`t expect anything in the post until about a week before the interviews.

Pandelix`s mate was very lucky to hear so early (he must be a good `un!)

I think it's probably the order they are sorted, like I said, i was informed and interviewed super early, and I didn't recieve the secret letter that everyone always goes on about.

VIP

Last year, London interviewed in two batches: early and late. I think it was based on when you sent your app in. I sent mine in pretty early, and I had my interview on the 28th of November. I heard about it exactly 7 days before the date. But they interviewed again in Jan / Feb and i think there were a lot more interviews during that batch.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I had my interview in Edinburgh about 25th of Jan and I was told about 2 weeks before.

I was interviewed a year ago tomorrow and I had about 4-5 days notice.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Default More worry

There's going to be no-one at my term time adress for the next 3 weeks so I severly hope that they mail to the permanent address. After that I'm going to have to tell my parents to inform me immidiately if anything arrives over there.

I need to get myself into a position where I can be at the embassy in a suit within 4 days notice. Perhaps I should get a new haircut...

I got my application in late so I may have to wait a while.

Default Re: More worry

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    ...I got my application in late so I may have to wait a while.
    Hopefully you meant late as in 'later than you wanted to mail it in by' instead of late as in 'you missed the deadline' in which case you won't have to wait for anything~

Pandilex

I got a letter today saying I have an interview 13th of Jan.

It says the interview is 20 minutes and will assess your suitability for a position and your motivation in applying. It says you have to attend 30 minutes early to take an English grammar test, and also watch a video about the JET Programme. You're not allowed to ask any questions in the interview (?!?!?) but you can talk to Ex-JETs on the interview day about life in Japan.

Basically now I'm curious to know

- What is the grammar test
    - When it says "You're not allowed to ask questions" I assume it doesn't mean relevant ones? If they say blah blah, you could say "Why do you think that?" or something, so your interview conversation isn't 1 sided.

Hey all,

I got my interview notification on the 14th, informing me that my big day will be the 11th Jan. I sent my application off on the 12th Nov, which I thought could be classed on the later side as I would have prefered a later interivew.

I totally get what you mean Pandilex. I thought it was a little strange when I first read it!

Anyway, well done to those who have received notification and best of luck to those who are still waiting.

Mizu

Oh yeah, my notification was sent to my uni (term time) address.

Pandilex

Mine too, but the embassy are very friendly, you could e-mail them and ask to check because you're worried, or ask them if it's possible to send out another copy to your parents address. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Thanks, I'll do that.

When I said late I meant a week before the deadline. The UK deadline then moved back by a week or two anyway, so I'm definitely going to have my application read.
    A friend of mine had their interview date given, my other friends and I are still waiting.

enaywhocantbearsedtologin

Default b

Hmm, Still nowt for me.

Nothing for me, I might get in touch with JET and make sure they send anything to my permanent address because I'm off home on Saturday until around the 4th of Jan.

I have a horrific week from the 10th to the 17th so if I get an interview and it is at that time I am in serious trouble!

When it says you cant ask questions in the interview, it means all the general Jet type questions, you ask the Ex-Jets before the interview these questions, its just so they can actually get a good assesment of you in the interview and the interviewers dont have to answer the same question a million times over.

The "grammer test" is nothing to get worried about, its really basic. From what I can remember there was nearly no grammer questions, there were questions on how I would explain certain words and phrases, such as "fizzy" and "off the cuff", there was also some correct the mistake questions but they were pretty simple, stuff like no capital letter after a full stop and missing commas.

The video is quite entertaining, although I didnt get to see much as they were running a through everyone quicker than expected, the freaky thing is while you are doing the test, the person is watching the video behind you, so you can hear it but not see it, which is quite frustrating.

P.S. My brother is one of the ex-Jets and a really friendly guy, as they all were/are last year. If you want to know anything (even of you think it is a bit stupid) ask them.

Good luck everyone, hope it all goes well, I know I was crazy nervous before my interview.

The explaining of words and phrases is the grammar question. (My recollection is fuzzy - I think one of the underlying grammar points they were trying to assess was either the third or zero conditional - the use of if).

Don't get all sweaty and bothered if you aren't hot on English grammar - the punishment for us being fluent in the language is that we ourselves don't comprehend all the rules that we are using as we speak and as we write. They know that. The questions are there to show that you understand the difference and that you can articulate the difference.