Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Default Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

This is a long shot post.

My girlfriend would love to come back to America with me and study abroad next year. However, she needs funding to do so.

She has been researching high and low for funding sources in Japan. Unfortunately, the system is significantly different here.

--In Japan, once people leave university and start working it's extremely rare for anyone to go back to school. Resultant, nearly all or all scholarships are only for students who are going or who have been in school straight from university. And at that, those are scholarships for Japanese universities; those for studying abroad are few and far between, and for someone planning to go back to school, and overseas, nonexistent.

--Students can not take loans for their own education in Japan; the parents have to take the loan, which is not an option for her. Thus, loans from Japan are not an option either.

She's done extensive research since this is her dream and these are the realities.

So, I told her I would do everything I could to help her, because if I can't find anything then...

--Obviously FAFSA and the U.S. Department of Education is no help since she's not an American citizen.

--I am quite sure she could not get loans from a private American bank since she again is not a citizen, no credit history etc.

So, the only things I can think of are:

1) Loans from a third party but dedicated student loan corporation, like Sallie Mae

or

2) American-based scholarships for International students

Can anyone comment on the feasibility of #1 and #2 above, or could anyone point me in the direction of some resources to investigate?

TIA.

There is a Japanese girl on a MA course here who got a scholarship in Japan. I think it is an American organisation who actually funds her though but she applied and got it in Japan. I will try and find out who it is with an get back to you.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Default Re: Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

Thanks, please do. This is very important to both of us.

I wont see her for about a week so I have emailed her about it.

I will let you know when she replies.

I think she mentioned it being through the Rotary Organisation. I have had a quick search and found this:
    Rotary.org: Ambassadorial Scholarships

Don't know if it is this for sure. I will tell you later.

Good luck with it though.

Default Re: Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

You have to be an American citizen for FAFSA?

I did not know that.

Anyway, most schools have private loans that they offer, to cover expenses not covered by scholarships/out of pocket money. Those usually aren't hard to get approved for. A number of my student loans were taken out directly with the school, so I pay the school directly.

I have received a response so here you go:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    The scholarship organization which gives me funding is The Rotary International, which
    has a headquarter in the USA, a massive international charity organization sending
    hundreds of students all over the world every year.

Here is the website:
    http://www.rotary.org/en/studentsandyouth/pages/ridefault.aspx
    There are two scholarship: Ambassadorial Scholarship; Peace Fellows (specialized in Peace
    studies, IR, Conflict resolutions etc.)

The one I've got is one year Ambassadorial Sholarship (US 24,000 dollars).
    There are many more scholarships offered by government, organizations in Japan.

The one I'm planning to apply next in three years time is offered by JASSO ( it's
    written in Japanese):
    http://www.jasso.go.jp/scholarship/long_term_h.html

The scholarship they offer is much nicer than the one from Rotary International (JASSO
    offers maximum of JPY 3,000,000 for tuition fee PLUS JPY130,000 to JPY190,000 per month:
    depends on where you study) and surprisingly, it's not competitive at all (80 applicants
    and about 60 get the money). I haven't look at the detailed requirements yet, but I'll
    keep you updated if I get any new information. And deadline for this one is 14th
    January...too soon

I also have got a list of scholarships from one of the study abroad agencies ( in Japanese).
    http://www.beo.jp/guide/pdf/Scho_body.pdf

Rotary has a strong preference in types of people (I don't know how to explain this in
    English, but what I wanted to say was I know what kind of students they want).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I think some of them might be UK based but get your missus to take a look.
    It should get you some loving tonight no?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

i thought you were rich, cant you pay for her?
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Doesn't do O-ramas

?

i teach english ffs

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

It's a shame she doesn't say what kind of person they're after. I have a friend who studied with a rotary scholarship. I believe they donated a lot of money when I came to do homestays in Japan for the first time with my Japanese class.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

She said she is happy for Puma's girlfriend to email her about scholarships for some guidance if she wants to.

Puma - if your girlfriend wants to email her then send me a message and I will send you her email address.

Doesn't do O-ramas

wait nicklad are those scholarships to GO to america?

my gf wants to leave japan and study in america on scholarship

Last edited by Zara; March 25th, 2010 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    wait nicklad are those scholarships to GO to america?

my gf wants to leave japan and study in america on scholarship
    I haven't looked at the lists she past on but the one she is on is an American scholarship for people in Japan (among other countries) to study overseas. She said she had the option to study in the US but decided upon the UK. She also mentioned that they have areas of application in Japan (like JET I guess). The Tokyo one was supposed to be quite competetive but ones outside of Tokyo had few applicants.

I can probably help you some, but I need more information. What is she studying? Undergraduate or graduate work? If she wants to earn a graduate degree, she can probably get funding after a year. If she wants to do undergraduate work, she's SOL, most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Doesn't do O-ramas

She will be studying business (most likely) as an undergraduate transfer student

It might help for her to know which universities she'd like to go to because there might be different financial aid packages available at each one. So, she could get an idea of what it might cost if she could contact a university. My college, for example, offered a few different levels of scholarships. The international programs department funded full scholarships for a couple students each year and offered scholarships in lesser amounts too.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    It might help for her to know which universities she'd like to go to because there might be different financial aid packages available at each one. So, she could get an idea of what it might cost if she could contact a university. My college, for example, offered a few different levels of scholarships. The international programs department funded full scholarships for a couple students each year and offered scholarships in lesser amounts too.
    That's kind of what we are thinking; this weekend we are going to draft a list of places she may want to go that have good programs and then we are going to just email every school and ask what their best financial resources are, and see how much each costs etc. Meanwhile, she's going to keep looking for funding options in Japan. If financing proves viable then she will start hitting TOEFL hard. We looked at UCSD last night, and the estimated cost is $47,000/year for a non-resident, granted that also factored in an estimated $11,000 for rent, $1,500 for books, ~$1,500 for personal expenses, etc. etc. We figured the actual "loanable" portion was closer to $32,000/year, but still.
    Last edited by puma; January 12th, 2010 at 08:54.

If money is a concern why are you looking at colleges that cost $32,000 a year in tuition?
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Doesn't do O-ramas

It was just a convenient example.

We haven't yet drafted a list of schools to look into, but I'm guessing many schools will end up in that price range for non-residents. It was an extra $22k/year there just for being a non-resident.

Is she going just for the experience, because she wants to get a degree, or because it will apply towards a degree she is getting in Japan already?
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.