Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Default Re: Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

because she wants to transfer from her japanese university to get the degree from an american university

Default Re: Scholarships/Financial Aid for Japanese Students Studying in America?

An undergraduate degree or a masters? What field does she want to go into/is in already?
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Undergrad for business, as mentioned earlier.

The best way would be to establish citizenship and/or residency. I'm reasonably certain citizenship is a requirement of residency insofar as it's related to tuition costs, anyway. If you could do that, tuition rates under $5,000 a year (and as low as $2,500) are possible.

However since that sounds unlikely, after that there are a number of schools with either large student endowments or excellent levels of tuition assistance. One that came up pretty quickly with a google search was University of North Carolina. I have no idea how easily this applies to international transfer students. From what I saw many of these schools were in more remote locations than, say, San Diego.

I have a feeling you have some pretty set opinions about places you would be willing to live in the US, is that the case? I'm just basing that off the UCSD example, but if so you're going to find most of the nice schools in those areas charge very high rates. If price is a major concern and you cannot secure student loans or tuition assistance, every area has a 2 year technical school that will cost a fraction and usually result in a degree faster than a 4 year or transfer program.

And, assuming she returns to Japan with a degree, most companies aren't going to know the difference between the College of Southern Walhampton and Michigan State University anyway.
    Last edited by Waldroon; January 12th, 2010 at 15:58.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldroon View Post
    If price is a major concern and you cannot secure student loans or tuition assistance, every area has a 2 year technical school that will cost a fraction and usually result in a degree faster than a 4 year or transfer program.
    This is true. I don't know the specifics but I've seen many Japanese students get their foot in the door here through the community college route then go on to bigger universities from there.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

Not sure if this can help you or not, but the international programs advisor from my college sent me this email when I asked for info on what a Japanese student needs to enroll in an American university:

At this point in your student's search, she really just needs to be focusing on gathering information. She needs to think about what is important to her in a college, taking things like enrollment, class size, location, program offerings, extra-curricular opportunities, and cost into consideration. Once she has an idea of what she's looking for, a couple good places to start would be her local Education USA office, the CIS Higher Education Directory (Council of International Schools), local U.S. college fairs, or the internet. If she's planning to travel to the US in the next couple of years for vacation, she should think about working in some school visits, as campus visits are great ways to get a feel for whether or not a college is a good fit. International Admission Counselors are also good resources.

When it comes time to apply, she'll find that every college will have a slightly different admission process. All will require official transcripts, some indication of English proficiency and financial documentation (for visa purposes). Some will require essays, standardized test scores and/or teacher recommendations. She'll need to contact each school for their requirements. I've pasted below the application requirements for international students wishing to apply to North Central.

How to Apply:
    The international application process to North Central requires the following items:

·A completed application form, which can be downloaded at: http://noctrl.edu/x5530.xmlor submitted on-line at: North Central College - Online Applications: Login . No application fee is required.

·A short essay (1-2 pages in English) describing your degree and career plans.

·Two letters of recommendation from persons not related to you. At least one should be from a teacher or professor.

·Official secondary school transcripts/records and certification of graduation. These should be sent directly from the issuing institution to North Central.
    ·Applicants who have completed university-level course work must also submit official transcripts/mark sheets for all university-level course work (with course descriptions for any courses taken at an institution located outside the U.S.)

·Official TOEFL or IELTS scores. A minimum official TOEFL score of 520 (paper-based) or 68 (internet-based) for freshmen and 550 (paper-based) or 79 (internet-based) for transfer students with 60 or more credits. North Central also accepts official IELTS scores of 6.0 or higher with sub-scores of 6.0 or higher. These must be sent directly from the testing agency to North Central.
    ·Students who will graduate from an international high school at which the primary language of instruction is English may submit official ACT or SAT scores.
    ·Students applying to transfer from a U.S. college or university who complete two sequential English composition courses equivalent to North Central's Composition requirement with grades of C or better are considered to have met this requirement.

·Declaration of Finance and Affidavit of Support Form. This can be downloaded at: www.northcentralcollege.edu/Documents/admission/Dec_of_Fin_and_Aff_of_Sup_08-09.pdf .

·A bank letter no more than 6 months old certifying the amount of funding available for the first year of studies. This letter should be signed on bank letterhead and show the name of the account holder, the date the letter was issued, the current balance, the type of currency, the type of account, and the length of time the funds have been on deposit.

North Central also offers International Student Scholarships to academically-qualified undergraduate international students. These range from $10,000 to $15,000 per year and are renewable. Since only U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents are eligible for federal or state financial aid, she'll need to carefully consider how much her family will be able to spend for her education. In doing so, it's important that she not rule out private colleges and universities, since although tuition usually is higher they often can offer more scholarship aid than larger public institutions.

i asked at the embassy/consulate/whatever about scholarships for japanese students doing undergraduate study abroad and they sent me these links:

You might be aware of it, but JASSO (Japan Student Services Organization) provides scholarship information and counseling services to students who want to study abroad.
    wQ&A`wɊւ鏧w`-JASSO
    Guide to Information Center for International Education-JASSO

not sure if it will help or not

Sorry if this has been said, but has she taken the TOEFL exam? That at a minimum will be a requirement to get into many American universities.

Reviving this post from the depths of hell to ask if anyone knows if Japanese students are eligible to study abroad on the Rotary Club's dime. I MAY have told a few of my really eager students this today, but I don't want to crush their dreams.

I know rotary club does exist here and that rotary club sends students to Japan, so I would assume it's a two way street.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Reviving this post from the depths of hell to ask if anyone knows if Japanese students are eligible to study abroad on the Rotary Club's dime. I MAY have told a few of my really eager students this today, but I don't want to crush their dreams.
    Call up your Rotary back home and see if they'll sponsor an exchange. My city's Rotary sponsored a number of kids from other countries to come and study at various schools, even paying a huge chunk of private school tuition for a couple too.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Call up your Rotary back home and see if they'll sponsor an exchange. My city's Rotary sponsored a number of kids from other countries to come and study at various schools, even paying a huge chunk of private school tuition for a couple too.
    It may be a couple of years before these girls go, but I'm going to try and get them in contact with the local club around here. They were so excited when I told them about it.

Lion's club does quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Lion's club does quite a bit.
    Hadn't thought about Lion's club. A couple of these students might even recognize the Lion's club from the speech contests. I'll tell them about that as well.

Your prefecture might also have scholarships. Ask your prefecture BOE.

This is exactly how i ended up in japan for a year during highschool. The Rotary club does 'direct exchange' as i remember it being called. For every kid from america going to japan, there is a kid from japan going to america (etc for all the other countries). The process is pretty simialar to the JET application process, and takes a fucking lifetime to get done. I remember it took about a year to get all the paperwork processed and go to all the orientation things.

All it takes if for them to essentially go to some rotary meetings/meet the people in charge of the prefectures/cities rotary youth exchange program. One thing to keep in mind is that through the Rotary club, my family had to cover the costs of travel and some other set-up fees. It was costly. The winning argument for me was that even with the high ticket price of the program, it was cheaper than keeping me at home and feeding me/paying for my extra-curriculars, so something they may have to bring up with the family.

Also, my host sister in japan is part of Rotaract, which is essentially 'young and future leaders' blah blah blah club. This may be a really easy way to get them involved with the rotary club earlier to make sure the japanese Rotarians know who they are and will be willing to have them represent their club abroad. Just my bit of thoughts. If you have more questions about it, I can try to answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbity View Post
    This is exactly how i ended up in japan for a year during highschool. The Rotary club does 'direct exchange' as i remember it being called. For every kid from america going to japan, there is a kid from japan going to america (etc for all the other countries). The process is pretty simialar to the JET application process, and takes a fucking lifetime to get done. I remember it took about a year to get all the paperwork processed and go to all the orientation things.

All it takes if for them to essentially go to some rotary meetings/meet the people in charge of the prefectures/cities rotary youth exchange program. One thing to keep in mind is that through the Rotary club, my family had to cover the costs of travel and some other set-up fees. It was costly. The winning argument for me was that even with the high ticket price of the program, it was cheaper than keeping me at home and feeding me/paying for my extra-curriculars, so something they may have to bring up with the family.

Also, my host sister in japan is part of Rotaract, which is essentially 'young and future leaders' blah blah blah club. This may be a really easy way to get them involved with the rotary club earlier to make sure the japanese Rotarians know who they are and will be willing to have them represent their club abroad. Just my bit of thoughts. If you have more questions about it, I can try to answer them.
    Yeah, my aunts did the rotary exchange after they left high school. I was trying to do it, but I was a month too old for the cutoff. Damn November babies. They're only 2nenseis in middle school, so I told them they might want to wait until high school to start seriously looking at the application, but their English is improving very quickly, so I told them to keep at it and do volunteering and stuff. It's a bit way too early, but I'm already stoked for them.