Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pension refund 2010

Default Pension refund 2010

Any 2009 returning JETs received their pension refund yet?

I applied for it in the first week of August and haven't heard a word
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Pension refund 2010

you are still within the 4-6 month normal waiting period. i have had a few past ALTs call me/email me in the last few weeks -- money strain from the holidays i think -- asking if i can check on anything for them. but no I cant. it has to be "THE PERSON" involved that contacts the SIA. in your case i bet the wifey could help but they do accept snail mail letters in english and will reply in english if talking to them dont work. I will be in the same boat next year. i would love to have the money asap but am not banking on it.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Yea, I know it's still a bit earliy, but reading last year's refund topics over at BD, some people were getting them around the 15th Jan.

I'll leave it until end of Feb, but if anyone hears anything, post here.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

But you definitely will receive it correct? They won't stiff you, right?
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

Why would they do that?

Because the Japanese government is broke?
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Just got this from someone in my prefecture who I suggested write to the SIA if they had any questions. his reply

Well I just got a letter in the mail today confirming that my money, well the first 80% chunk, will be paid out on the 15th of next month!

Which is awesome news and also proves that writing to them does indeed get a response...so for my fellow people awaiting their pot of gold, if you submitted in August last year like I did, you should be getting it soon.

Doesn't do O-ramas

how much later do we get the remaining 20%, and why do they withhold it to begin with?

It takes about the same amount of time as it took to get the first chunk. The reason being is that the SIA only process payments twice a year.

The lump sum is taxed (~20%) but since we are special we dont have to pay that tax, so they reimburse us the rest after we show them that we are back home and have received the first part.

so yeah i guess that kinda leads into your situation. if you dont plan on giving up your registration card and leaving the country you cant apply for your pension refund. you have a limit of two years to claim it.

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    so yeah i guess that kinda leads into your situation. if you dont plan on giving up your registration card and leaving the country you cant apply for your pension refund. you have a limit of two years to claim it.
    Unless the SIA isn't consistent in their processing of refunds, this is false. I left last September on a reentry permit (I still have two years on my visa and didn't want to give it up) with a one year open round trip ticket and kept my ID card, and I am having no problems. An email and quick phone call last year made sure that my refund will be processed as long as I do not reenter the country before they send out payment.

Have people actually been denied their refund before or are you just guessing? Maybe it's working for me because I was thorough before and after leaving? Or maybe I'm just lucky.

I worked as a JET from August 2007 to August 2009; since then I've been working at a private company on the same visa, and in April I'll be switching to a student visa and starting grad school on the MEXT scholarship. As a student, I won't be making any pension payments.

Does anyone know if it's possible to file for the pension refund while still in Japan if you're no longer on a work visa? There's the option of heading back home to the States, applying, changing my visa and then flying back, but the window between the end of my current job contract and the beginning of the semester is pretty narrow, and I'd like to avoid the cost of airfare if I can.
    Oh, no! My cola!

No. You need to apply for it outside Japan because you need a copy of your exit stamp.

How much is the actual pension refund? Is there a breakdown somewhere for 1st 2nd and 3rd years?
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHakujin View Post
    How much is the actual pension refund? Is there a breakdown somewhere for 1st 2nd and 3rd years?
    Yeah, it's basically a set amount for each six months. Each year is almost a full paycheck's worth, I think. But I'm sure you can find the specifics online somewhere pretty easily.

oh, man, so after 3 years.. it's like $8000-9000... fuck yeah

Power, Patience, Speed.

O rly

exciting developments here
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Period of Coverage (VSL) Estimated amount refunded*
    6-11 months 130,000 yen
    12-17 months 260,000 yen
    18-23 months 390,000 yen
    24-29 months 510,000 yen
    30-35 months 640,000 yen over
    36 months 770,000 yen
    *Calculated on a monthly remuneration of 300,000 yen (before tax)
    Last edited by mteacher80; January 25th, 2010 at 11:51. Reason: crappy formatting

I know someone who left last summer and just got their refund now.

sounded like about 630,000yen after the tax had been taken off for a 3 year refund.

Nice!

Got the letter yesterday and it was slightly more than I expected.

It's due to be deposited in the account after the 15th Feb

(btw, moving this to the after jet forum)