Thread: A-Level Japanese [UK ppl]

Default A-Level Japanese (UK ppl)

This is my second and final year as a JET and I've aquired around JLPT3 level in my time here (fingers crossed). Most of the corporate jobs I want to apply for require really good a-level results, which I lack, and I'd like to bump this a bit by sitting a Japanese A-level and boost my chances.

Does anyone have an experience of this qualification or know anything about sitting it privately?

Cheers.

you can sit any exam privately that you want, check the examining bodies website.
    However I don't think that the A-Level is very hard, you'd be better off sticking with JLPT as that's the qualification that they are going to look for on paper.

If you have a degree why are companies looking at your A-Levels (unless they are subject/employment specific?)
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Default Re: A-Level Japanese (UK ppl)

The large consultancy firms all seem to look at ALevel grades, a few want AAA and its depressing to think that I'd be excluded from applying based on an A-level result. I know its not a useful qualification but it can't hurt.

yeah,
    well all you need to do is contact whoever does the exam regarding private entry.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

A Level Japanese is rather hard. I think AS is like 2kyuu level. GCSE is 3kyuu.
    Good luck.
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Nah its not quite so bad actually. I'm looking at the Edexcel specs at
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx
    The past papers are worth a read! <and the front covers should make you shudder a little>

The vocab and kanji level seems on par with 3kyuu, maybe a little higher, but things like writing and translation are also tested.

The British Council from Tokyo are able to organise things like this it seems. I'll keep this thread updated as I go on.

Update

The British Council in Tokyo can organize this to be sat in June. The application deadline is March for Edexcel. Get this - the cost is like 1man per paper (x2) and a 1man candidate fee. That + transport to tokyo from Kansai is like £400 in total.

Probably not worth it. The exams are still an interesting read though.