Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese speech contests

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Default Japanese speech contests

Has anyone entered a Japanese speech contest before? There's one on out pref JET website and I wasn't interested innitially but this other JET who's Japanese is about the same as mine got placed 3rd last year in the same thing, so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Anyone got any advice or stuff like that? I'm trying to think of a typically happy and gay Japanese-y theme, right now I'm thinking along the lines of "I want to be a good gaijin so that kids grow up to not be racist and Japan can become an awesome country".
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Japanese speech contests

A guy in my prefecture won a local speech contest last year with a speech that pretty much bashed the typical foreigner in Japan. Be original. You ever listen to ten students talk about how a textbook lesson on Mother Teresa inspired them? Everyone hates that shit, and if you step up and make the same mistake by making a carbon copy speech, I doubt people won't be bored.
    minor rant: abe vigoda

Hmm ok. Apparently the girl who won last year spoke about how her mum got kidnapped by North Koreans (she was Korean). I need something that is going to be like that.

Summarize and translate a James Bond into Japanese and replace James Bond with "I/me/my". Pick something Sean Connery, of course.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

Gahaha! In 7 minutes, that would be awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Hmm ok. Apparently the girl who won last year spoke about how her mum got kidnapped by North Koreans (she was Korean). I need something that is going to be like that.
    I'd be happy to kidnap your mum for you

Go for it. If you can put up with her wheezing, then she's all yours.

Has anyone entered a Japanese speech contest before? There's one on out pref JET website and I wasn't interested innitially but this other JET who's Japanese is about the same as mine got placed 3rd last year in the same thing, so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Anyone got any advice or stuff like that? I'm trying to think of a typically happy and gay Japanese-y theme, right now I'm thinking along the lines of "I want to be a good gaijin so that kids grow up to not be racist and Japan can become an awesome country".
    Maybe you could thank JET for giving you the opportunity to become a sex tourist, and then your methods?

Would certainly make a change to "I love Japan it's kakkoi"

Hmm... I'm thinking no?

Maybe instead of "I want to help the kids to be internationally aware blah blah". You could go with things you think the UK could learn from Japan, I say that with zippo experience of Japanese life of course but it might impress. They'll probably get a lot of 'being a model foreigner' speeches.

That's still...

I was thinking of (and this may sound crazy but in my head it works) doing like a narrative from a nature documentary but talking about the various groups of Japanese people and how the react; how they seem from the gaijin's POV.

But I'm thinking maybe all this is too much effort and maybe I should just go back to being lazy with my stuidying again...

That's still...

I was thinking of (and this may sound crazy but in my head it works) doing like a narrative from a nature documentary but talking about the various groups of Japanese people and how the react; how they seem from the gaijin's POV.

But I'm thinking maybe all this is too much effort and maybe I should just go back to being lazy with my stuidying again...
    This would certainly be funny to my mind but two things strike me. They may not get the joke and even if they do they may be insulted by the animal parallel. You'll know better than I how 'up for a laugh' your average Japanese person is.

Perhaps it'd be safer to do something comical in the style of a greek myth about foreigners. How they breathe fire, are 100 feet tall, that you should lock up your daughters and paint a red cross on the door to avoid them etc.

Ooh I like it.

Still not sure if I can be arsed to do all this though. I have a pre-made speech on international realtionships in Japan but I don't think that would be what they want either.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

When I did it my theme was basically "If you don't make mistakes you don't make anything" and the central story was the oft-told one of when I was in high school living as an exchange student in Kanazawa. I had a self-introduction prepared, with info about my home, family etc. but when the teacher checked it she said to use "ha ha" and "chi chi" instead of "okaasan" and "otoosan" when referring to my own parents. so fine, no worries. except i went on and on about how my dad is really big and looks scary but is actually kind of soft and gentle...

and yeah, i said "chin chin" instead of "chi chi". like 7 times.*

the speech went over well and i came 2nd. have you got a funny story about a mistake you've made or an assumption a japanese person has made about you/your country?

*for those who've just started studying, chin chin is cock.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

forgot to say, japanese people know all about david attenborough, so a mockumentary style speech could be good.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I think maybe a mokumentary about gaijin would be kinda fun... do the otaku type, the type that has all the japanese girls after him, the kanji obsession type... it's only 7 minutes so I think it could be done. I think I really want to go for a comic themed one and be a little different.

*edit but yours sounds cool Wicket. I don't have anything funny like that though. Except when I said "私はシャーロットと思います" instead of "と思うします"
    Last edited by Miss_igirisu; February 3rd, 2010 at 09:07.

I think maybe a mokumentary about gaijin would be kinda fun... do the otaku type, the type that has all the japanese girls after him, the kanji obsession type... it's only 7 minutes so I think it could be done. I think I really want to go for a comic themed one and be a little different.

*edit but yours sounds cool Wicket. I don't have anything funny like that though. Except when I said "私はシャーロットと思います" instead of "と思うします"
    How about the white girl who chases Japanese guys?

This is the NHK one, yeah? I was thinking of trying for it. My Japanese isn't so great, but I like to challenge myself. I was thinking of doing it about gokons and ikemen. Not very academic, but maybe done as a BBC mini doc style, but in the end just being silly or something.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

It's this one 英語・英会話学校(新宿・東京)日米会話学院,(財)国際教育振興会
    That sounds really cool! I think it'd be cool to teach them how things look from our point of view, like the gokons and stuff.

I want to do it because my accent sucks, but my speeches at uni were always quite good. I want to have the chance to practice again, and give me a challenge.

大家好
    我有很多的书就靠在中文
    如果它有一个下午,我想
    If its sanity you are after there is no recipe like laughter.
    watches | cheap watches | replica watches | wrist watches