Thread: High ability student

Default High ability student

In one of my first year (senior high school) oral Communication classes I have an individual student who is of a very high ability. She produces work to a standard above that of many of my 3rd years before they left.

I want to give her work that will stretch her but I don't really know the best way of bringing that into the lesson plan without other students feeling left out/behind.

I picked up a load of those english reading books from AJET at orientation so my current plan is to try and give her one of those after class and just try to talk to her about it and general stuff out of class (as I write this that sounds kind of lame). But that doesn't solve the problem of her being unchallenged and a little bored in class.

Is anyone else in a similar position or have any good ideas of how I should go about this?

I think it depends on what sort of things you do in class. I had the same situation when I was teaching a small class, so sometimes I would ask them more difficult questions, try to give them trick questions to make them really think about it, sometimes give them more difficult texts with the same basic information and grade their writing at an intermediate level instead of a lower one/ask them to write more or with more detail.

I've seen a video on this and talked to my teacher about it. They said the best way is often to separate people into ability groups using the excuse of group work and give them different difficulty level work, but on the same topic as being taught in class. Just not to mention the different level to the students themselves. This required a lot of preparation though and doesn't help too much if it's only one.

If you access to teaching books or possible websites, look for differentiation. That's the idea of different levels of work for different ability students, so it may give you some ideas.
    Last edited by Kewne; February 13th, 2010 at 21:27.

Default Re: High ability student

Thanks for the ideas! I've been trying to give the class things like write three sentences about ~ ~. Then getting her to write 6 sentences instead and an extra paragraph on something relating to it. It's not ideal as it's only extra writing practice and not speaking but it seems to keep her busy enough.

Thankfully (and sadly) I only have her for one more class before she moves up a grade and I no longer teach her anymore. But I'm interested in the idea of differentiation - I didn't know the proper term for it before - so I will look into that for future students.

Thanks!