Thread: Interview Worries!

Pandilex

Default Interview Worries!

Yup it's looming up and I'm kind of worried! So I figured all you bright cheery happy helpers could perhaps give a hint in the right direction...

I have a lottttt of reading to do, I basically want to learn about the royal family, the government, a brief history, as well as think of some stuff the country is famous for, props I would take to Japan...

Basically what it boils down to is, what is our country famous for! I live in England and I wanna know some cool things that our country is famous for. Stuff I can basically mention about promoting cultural understanding and stuff. My mind is blank, argghhh! Any help is appreciated.

Relax.

That is perhaps the most salient piece of advice I could give you, apart from suggesting that you don't hit on the interviewers, nor should you start touching yourself in the bathing suit area when they speak to you.

Remember, they are looking for how you respond to the questions, and not necessarily the answers. If you worry and panic now, and that carries into the interview, you might do more harm than good, regardless as to whether or not you got the answer right.

Flexibility is the key.

Oh, and if you are going to study for it, expect an easy English culture test (which I fluffed as I had been out of the country for five years), a grammar test (remove the worry about the fact they used the word grammar, and just describe how you would explain the difference between certain sentances), and a Japanese culture test (I forgot to answer the last two questions on this).

In the interview, just remember that while you may be English, you are part of the UK, and that you may be asked to explain the differences between the countries/cultures. (I don't think I was asked this, but your stressing of studying English culture prompts me to remind you that you should be at least aware of the other countries so you don't get a "deer in the headlights" look on you should they ask you such a question).

Cornelius has explained it all, I think. Be relaxed and be yourself - they're not looking for people who can talk bullshit about Japan for 15 minutes, they want adaptable people who can cope with moving to a foreign country and have a definite interest in living there.

I'd tell you good luck but you'll be fine, so I'm sure you won't need it.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Pandilex

<3

Hey! You know what I think about that symbol!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

You're lucky you can think about it. Personally, I have no idea what it means...

I thought it meant "less than 3". Am I missing something?
    :?

Exactly, 'less than 3' is a very negative attitude to have before an interview!

The 'wordsearch' thread in the teaching section has the whole sorry story.

Aaahh.

I see.

Pandilex

IT'S A HEART!!!!

Because I love dob after he posted something positive about me.

Awww!!

Now if only I actually looked like my avatar...

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Awww!!

Now if only I actually looked like my avatar...
    Actually I was still trying to think of something humourous to post in relation to your photo...

> England and I wanna know some cool things that our country is famous for.

Manchester United, David Beckham, Football Hooligans, Chav Scum.
    Highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe. Tea, old fashioned snobbish bahaviour. Different ways of speaking in almost every city. Public Transport, Moaning and of course great weather.

Take your pick.

Oh, and good luck Shimon san

Hey there yeah i have my interview i london on the 11th so i quite nervous too the best thing i have done so far is scavenged for past questions people have been asked off the net then got my mum to do mock interviews with me it really gets your mind into gear....

Other than just reading up on japantime.com to have a general overview of the news and also the news in england too!

Hope i see some of you in london then i am going down on train and it looks like i am going to be there well early!!! but i was worried something might effect train times and didn't want to be late!

Rycean Good luck to all of you!

sorry japantimes.com

Hey cool, your interview is on the same day and at the same location as mine Maybe I'll run into you.
    Being the worrier that I am my train is leaving the day before though, plus I like London so extra time there is always a good thing IMO.

Hey...my interview is on the same day as you guys, maybe i'll run into you too!

Oh and dont say anything negative about yourself....even the smallest of things, even if they ask you what your weeknesses are say something totally humerous like, my addiction to chocolate....or something that happened lightyears ago that you've improved on since...

and ive got to get train too!! going to leave my home super early

Good luck guys.....i bet none of you are as nervous as i am right now!!

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    Different ways of speaking in almost every city
    That's a good one! I never thought much of it...

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    Oh, and good luck Shimon san
    Only sean connery calls me that... it's Saimon, and it sounds bizarre... サイモン

Otherwise it sounds like she-man in a jamaican accent 8O

Various other things about england that are rather dull but still applicable are industrial heritege, empire/commonwealth, warmongering and the change of late to being almost entirely services (just think Mrs Thatcher).

If all else fails just mention the monarchy and how mush power it allegedy has but never uses