Thread: Can anyone reccomend a textbook?

Default Can anyone reccomend a textbook?

I took a Jap class a few years back and we used JAPANESE FOR BUSY PEOPLE.

It was ok but my only complaints were that the book seemed outdated, had only romaji, and centered around business.

After that I self-studying on and off, I came to Japan, studied kanji, attempted the JLPT Lvl3 and passed with 69%.

I went to the book store and looked through some Minna No Nihongo. I honestly didn't know which one to pick up. Some of the material in the ones I looked through seemed too elementary. I'm looking to patch up things I missed on the test and work towards Level 2. But I don't want to study solely off of JLPT guidebooks like I did last year. Just want focus on developing vocab, grammar, reading, writing, speaking etc...

anyway.... suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Oonter View Post
    I took a Jap class a few years back and we used JAPANESE FOR BUSY PEOPLE.

It was ok but my only complaints were that the book seemed outdated, had only romaji, and centered around business.

After that I self-studying on and off, I came to Japan, studied kanji, attempted the JLPT Lvl3 and passed with 69%.

I went to the book store and looked through some Minna No Nihongo. I honestly didn't know which one to pick up. Some of the material in the ones I looked through seemed too elementary. I'm looking to patch up things I missed on the test and work towards Level 2. But I don't want to study solely off of JLPT guidebooks like I did last year. Just want focus on developing vocab, grammar, reading, writing, speaking etc...

anyway.... suggestions?
    genki 1 and 2 are excellent, in my experience. however, if you passed level 3, I'd think you would be ready to move onto authentic material at this point.

how about genki 2 to supplement your current knowledge, then drilling yourself on kanji and vocab? sounds boring, but 2kyu and 1kyu both require lots of raw knowledge that eventually necessitate rote memorization in some capacity.

aside from those, how about watching dramas/movies and reading japanese books? stuff by hoshi shinichi is pretty interesting, and you could probably tackle it by this point.

Default Re: Can anyone reccomend a textbook?

I'm a Minna No Nihongo fan, but Genki and Minna No Nihongo basically go over the same things.

I'd second the positive comments about Genki although they get pretty dull from the intermediate book onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Oonter View Post
    JAPANESE FOR BUSY PEOPLE
    If you are a busy person
    you should not study Japanese.

This isn't directed towards you, just, I think the name of that book is pretty oxymoronic in a way.

There's another thread floating around where everyone really picks apart all the options.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

I used Minna no Nihongo at Uni and then Genki when studying abroad (as the professors there wrote the damn thing) I preferred Minna no Nihongo personally but it's more personal. I liked the structure more!
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.