Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to JET

Default Alternatives to JET

reading through this forum, I get the feeling that there's a difference in opinion on how easy or difficult it is to get accepted into JET.

In case I don't get accepted, I'm looking for good alternatives. I've heard NOVA is good. Does anyone have recommendations for other programs/companies for new teachers in Japan?

Pandilex

I heard nova is BAAAAD.

From people on this forum, people on other forums, and my Japanese teacher (who is from Tokyo).

She told me to look in The Guardian on Tuesdays (if you live in the UK) because they have a section (students or jobs or something I forget) that often has advertisments for jobs abroad, including Japan. I bought it once to see (cheap because the uni subsidises newspaper costs or something) and indeed it does.

She also told me to be careful because not all schools are reputable, so I should ask her advice if I want to follow it up.

So my advice to you is, if you don't get accepted and are stlil passionate about going, comb the newspapers for jobs and find someone native japanese to ask about the schools, in case they are a big no-no.

Also try to find people that have done this previously to ask for advice from.

I heard nova is BAAAAD.
    i would have to kinda(just little) disagree with you on that... when it comes to NOVA its a ESID some NOVA schools have great working conditions and staff while others have really bad working condition and really horrible staff so with NOVA its the luck of the draw.

Some choices? hmm...you might want to check out ECC/ECC Junior or AOEN or which i think is a better option go to www.gaijinpot.com they lists of jobs with little/private English school and also ALT jobs BUT stay clear of INTERAC their locations may sound great but the company is f**ked often you pay comes late(like a month or 2) and stuff like that. Aaa...if you dont mind living in Okayama Prefecture i know Kurashiki cities BOE offer ALT Positions i cant remeber the details so you might want to check it out.

well....i hope this helped

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    and find someone native japanese to ask about the schools, in case they are a big no-no.
    I would suggest that even if the school maybe a no-no it would still be a good idea to take the job. Firstly becuase any school is better than no school, but most importantly because it gets you here and on a visa. Then you can look for jobs far more effectively and with a higher probablility of success than if you were still in blighty or the Bush empire.

Quote Originally Posted by shinjukudude
    Kurashiki cities BOE offer ALT Positions i cant remeber the details so you might want to check it out.
    That's cool; Kurashiki is a lovely city and Okayama is close by to go shopping! I went to both last weekend and had a great time.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

http://www.city.kurashiki.okayama.jp...nformation.htm

Here's a link you might want to check it out...the websites changed since i last saw it before it details about pay and interview stuff etc...(maybe im blind?looking in the wrong place for those details?)

Teaching solo is so much better.

I much prefer it and the students seem to respond better, like they have a stake in the class that they didnt have with a Japanese teacher there.

When your solo its YOUR class.

I cannot translate for them in the way that the JTE casn but in every other respect I find solo teaching more enjoyable and more productive due to increased genkiness in the wee ones.

its all a personal preference i'd say

and it depends how your jte is with team teaching, i mean some just do a normal lesson and have you reading from the text book

some its a tagteam deal where you take it in turns to teach, some split the class and you effectively have 2 classes going on at the same time, and then you get the decent team teachers that u have a good relationship with, make jokes together, do skits and generally work as you should as a team, complementing each other...

personally i've found these lessons to be the best i've had and the kids have responded best to those (and i've felt theve learned the most)

solo wise i find its a novelty for the kids to have the alt as the teacher which gets them all genki but actually teaching wise, unless your japanese is fairly decent its difficult to really teach well...
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

I had to go to an Enkai last night with some Japanese folks and there was a foreign private school teacher there.

They all seem to have a rough deal, and in my humble experience are complete pricks.

Not to mention have a thinly veiled dislike for JETs...

Yeah.....all of them.

Other than getting slightly paid more, why would the non-JETs dislike JETs?

Because they didnt get accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by socalDave
    Other than getting slightly paid more, why would the non-JETs dislike JETs?
    Well as nicklad said, a lot of them are non successful JET applicants (thats a nice way of saying reject). And I don't think its a case of slightly less paid - it actually works out to be a lot of money when you factor in paid airfares, subsidised accommodation, various conferences and tax concessions. This is without mentioning that JETs are bona fide government employees who have some official backing in various situations - i.e the boe can and will be the guarantor for many things ranging from bank accounts to apartments. I mean, our bank accounts are set up for us - regular ALTs don't always get that luxury - not to mention the effortless work visas, the (relatively) great support networks and so on. JETs don't have a union as such, but we do have CLAIR and AJET which I believe does work out better than nothing.

Additionally its hard for us to get fired - i mean its beating/abusing a student hard to get fired - whereas the private school ALTs all have strict files kept on them - so I heard from another JET who used to be one - which will be used in a Agent Smith/Neo style meeting come dismissal time.

So, really there are a number of reasons for this dislike, call it jealousy if you will.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

The big thing that makes me want to go JET over the Eikawas is the business aspect of language schools like NOVA and GEOS, etc. They're businesses, and often the teachers in those schools end up doing as much selling as teaching.

JET eliminates that problem, giving its teachers more time and energy to focus on the langauge, and the Cultural Exchange part of the process, whereas the language schools tend to discourage outside interaction with students. It's that cultural exchange, and the focus on education that really are the highlights of JET for me.

And the pay/benefits aren't bad, either. :wink:
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

Fuck selling if the job doesn't/shouldn't require it... Teaching is a job that shouldn't require selling and that's the main reason I'm for JET instead of an eikawa.

nova pay = 16,000 GBP
    Jet Pay= 19,000 GBP

Nova holiday = 10days
    JET holiday= 20 (plus bank holidays and time off at schools discretion)

Nova aint all that bad, but if you want benefits like good pay, nenkyu, daikyu, health care, then go to JET. it's run by the government for Pete's sake. it has to be good.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com