Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternatives to JET

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgoofball
    JET eliminates that problem, giving its teachers more time and energy to focus on the language, and the Cultural Exchange part of the process, whereas the language schools tend to discourage outside interaction with students. It's that cultural exchange, and the focus on education that really are the highlights of JET for me.

Hahaha! Check this guy out! You're as indoctrinated as my dad is with IBM.

Shame on you for doubting The Word, Cantdo!!! Shame! :x
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Default and another thing...

while I'm on the subject. I've also heard that January until March is the prime recruitment time if you are seeking employment as a teacher in Japan. Is this true? Should I be actively applying for alternatives to JET right NOW ?

According to what Nova/Geos/ECC recruiters told me, just apply for 2~3 months prior to when you want to work. They never said anything about an application window though...

hurla,

Its true but not just for English teachers its right across the board as far as job recruitment goes i.e. office work too and employment usually starts in April.

The big 5 English schools like NOVA etc... recruit all year round due to their large number of schools and the fact the average teacher at their schools only stay 1 or 2 years or less(i.e. found better jobs). Also Private English schools also recruit year round however this goes for some of the big schools too the bulk of recruitment is in the time frame you mentioned.

I have noticed a sizable number of female Russians here in Japan.

Perhaps it may be an option to ask them what they do in Japan and see if this line of employment might be a realistic alternative to JET.

Default teaching SOLO

many peoples seem to think that teaching solo is *THE* mint deal. as a JET who has the weiiiiiiiiiiird situtation of only teaching shogakko (without the aid of a JTE) let me assure you that while, yes, it can be fun planning your own lessons....it's shit loads of work. you have to develop a curriculum, invent lessons, write lesson plans, make visual aids, worksheets and meet one-on-one (IF you're at a "good" school) with the homeroom teachers so they can hopefully understand what you will be teaching. then you have to teach it. you have no textbook to help you. no JTE to help. nothing. be prepared to pull lots of stuff out your ass. ganbatte.

You can also check gaijinpot.com for non-teaching (as well as teaching) jobs in Japan. There's lots of companies/places of business that don't have a teaching emphasis (if teaching really isn't your thing) if you have a good grasp of Japanese.

I've met non-native Japanese working at bars/clubs, the Outback restaurant (in Nagoya, the foreigner's hangout), and seen lots of postings for companies looking SPECIFICALLY for people from Australia or the U.S.A. to work for them.

Do some research. JET is far from the last stop in working/living in Japan.

You can also try this new site - Japan Jobs: JobCube but it seems to be IT heavy at the moment. The American chamber of commerce runs a site as well, but the name escapes me at the moment. Try googling it.