Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The waiting game begins!

Seeing another gaijin is a mini dilemma if its not one of your mates.

How do you proceed???

Man, I live close enough to Narita to see all flavours of freaking Gaijin. Each day their presence in My Japan angers me a little more.

Soon I'm going to walk around slapping them with my Alien Registration Card just to show 'em like.

Goddamn tourists. Can't stand all these outsiders.

Have fun waiting noobs - this is the worst part.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklad

How do you proceed???
    I follow the same rule as urinal etiquette.

Yeah I guess your experiences must be quite different for many other JETs. I can quite easily go for weeks without seeing another gaijin here. This makes me a novelty for the Japanese and I am sure they act differently toward me than the Japanese who live next to the airport that brings daily gaijin deliveries.

I got to wear kimono last weekend for a tea ceremony. When I sat down at the back of the room some ladies turned round, then a a couple of seconds later turned round again! It was very amusing! They had to take a second look to make sure they hadn't imagined me!

I found it very strange in Oz over xmas cos everyone looked different! I also felt very small!

Advice for the waiting game: do try and learn some Japanese if you have time. There are not always chances to take classes in Japan especially if you are in inaka.

I personally didn't have time before I came (busy job) and if you are at uni I don't recommend you distract away from that too much but if you don't have anything to take your mind off waiting I definitely recommend taking night classes or a bit of study.

Even if you don't get on JET you can show off down the pub at the fact you can say "washing machine" or something in Japanese!

Enjoy!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklad

How do you proceed???
    I follow the same rule as urinal etiquette.
    Nice~ I literally fell off my chair laughing. ops:

> Even if you don't get on JET you can show off down the pub at
    > the fact you can say "washing machine" or something in Japanese!

I find that writing other people's names always goes down a treat.
    Or other stupid stuff like "I eat cheese".

Indeed,

I wrote many of my christmas cards in Japanese to my friends. The insults in "making out in japanese" truly come in handy! As do other weird phrases that no-one I know can read!

JT

It's like an elitism. I do enjoy writing my 'to do' or 'shopping' list in Japanese just so noone can nosey on what I'm planning to do. It for one really annoys my mum

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    This is what should be in the CLAIR language book! "The true usefulness of Japanese..."
    What, number 1, confuse your mum?

If you go down to the pub you might as well say "anata wa baka desu" and tell them it means "you are wonderful". Maybe they'll remember and tell their girlfriend/boyfriend.

Hows the waiting going guys?!

Its not so bad, last couple of weeks went pretty quickly surprisingly, only around 9 weeks to go!

...must say my skills with the piano are going to improve like crazy by the time this waiting is over! oh wait they already have!

Not going so bad, after months of working non stop I've been able to wind down, complete some of the games I'd not hard time for, perfected my katakana, revised the little kanji that I knew, watched Full Metal Alchemist again... and admittedly done a fair amount of work on my final year project. But even so its been a welcome relief, since this is the closest to relaxation I've come in roughly 4 months its made the stress due to waiting much easier to bare.
    Besides, the first worry is exam results at the end of this month

In a bizare way, i am glad i have lots of exams coming up to keep my mind off waiting (thank you legal practice course).

Also slightly off topic but can anyone suggest anywhere online that i can find out about Japanese classes in the North West of England. (Sadly the College of Law doesn't offer any foreign language programs)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Also slightly off topic but can anyone suggest anywhere online that i can find out about Japanese classes in the North West of England. (Sadly the College of Law doesn't offer any foreign language programs)
    I looked into this too and found some absurdly expensive ones in Liverpool (look in the Merseyside Yellow Pages). There was a free class at Standish High School in Wigan, but I don't know if that's still going. I can possibly find out from my ex-girlfriend if you like (she lives in Standish).
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Hey Andy
    Try UMIST and uni's like that to see if they offer those courses, I'm sure jim could pop into the language department if you asked him. As you know I'm doing the passport module at Hull, but not as a module which makes up part of my degree, rather I pay about £100 for it which anyone, student or not can do (and its great fun). I'm certain many more universities must offer this.
    Ofcourse having said that most courses probably started at the beginning of the academic year so with about 6 months to go I'd guess you probably should be looking for private tutors instead.
    When I get back in May I could tutor you if you'd like, it would be a good way for me to practice my skills anyway. If you do find a tutor let me know, I want to make a real go of Japanese this summer assuming I've got the place (if not I'll just take passport level 2 during my MSc).

BTW are you still horribly confused by that anime I loaned you or has it grown on you yet?

The University of Sheffield (I think, let me check when I get home) does a distant MA in Japanese that you can continue anywhere in the world. They also do a beginners' course. If anyone is seriously into learning the language, that could be an option as you can study while in Japan too. The course fees are pretty hefty, though.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by redfieldblair
    I'm doing the passport module at Hull, but not as a module which makes up part of my degree, rather I pay about £100 for it which anyone, student or not can do (and its great fun). I'm certain many more universities must offer this.
    Sadly if you're not a member of the uni it's £200, which I don't think is worth it vs. the cost of having private 1 to 1 tuition which will be catered for your progress

Well in any case I wasn't suggesting andy take the 2 hour drive upto hull every week, just that universities might run what he's looking for, I would expect a personal tutor would be even more expensive. But I do have to agree with pandilex, in terms of quality and practicallity you're probably best off looking for a personal tutor... now where to find one... I mean I'm sure if you're prepared to drive to manchester you can manage it its just hard to know where to look.

Cheers for the responses, i now have a few leads to follow up. Much appriciated.

Red,

As for the anime, i am still rather confused. Flying robot turtles WHAT THE F**K!

Maybe i'm just not meant to get it. :?