Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The waiting game begins!

Flying Robot Turtles? Redfieldblair, you didn't lend him 'Love Hina' did you? Hooboy...

Anyhow, slightly different but linked to 'Waiting' and all that it entails...Is JET everyone's 'Plan A' in terms of what to do next year / post-graduation? What's 'Plan B' if the waiting game ends in being booted out the door?

Just being curious...my way of waiting is worrying, it seems!

Hola,

Have no idea what plan B i should do if JET falls through. As a 2004 graduate applying for JET '05, I can say without hesitation that trying to fill up a year whilst waiting for the JET process to get moving is a Hellish process. You may really want to go on JET whilst at uni, but other prospects such as starting a career in the UK for good money will tempt you.

Had my interview on wednesday and am quite unsure of how well it went. The interview was most strange, the Japanese embassy chap being very friendly and the JET official being quite testing. My nerves were going nuts beforehand and it took a few minutes to calm them down.

Well let's hope it all works out. I don't know whether I could go through it all for GEOS etc...

JT

I have to say I'm kind of surprised and impressed that there are so many people so keen to get on JET, even if they speak no/minimal Japanese. . I'm pissed off enuff waiting/studying for my interview. Afterwards I plan to distract myself by sending off job applications to firms who probably won't have the courtesy to even acknowledge my CV.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinDave
    Flying Robot Turtles? Redfieldblair, you didn't lend him 'Love Hina' did you? Hooboy...
    I did, to be honest I thought I was starting him off easy, its not like its Ranma 1/2 or anything :P
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." Isaac Newton

I had my interview today...

Leading up to it i was SO nervous, amd the worst part was sitting waiting to get called in... shaking like bag of spanners. 8O

But i have to say everyone at the embassy was so friendly and chatty it really settled me down, although it seems just like most of you, ive just got no idea how it went. I said my piece, and the whole thing seemed to go ok, but theres always things you wish you had/hadnt said...

Good luck evry1, let the painful waiting process begin
    JON

ARGH!!!!!!!!!
    Im sorry for my ranting but this waiting is hard.
    And its only been 4days!!

After the interview i was actually quite relaxed, but with each day i am analysing what i said in my interview more and more.... its driving me insane! If it carries on like this, ill be loony by april.

WTF should i do. A friggin mess ive been reduced to. :?:
    Please assure this is part of the norm! I was in denial b4, but now i am indeed admitting to myself how important the outcome is......

Yoiks!

Its part of the norm, however for me with my very limited time these days it only took a few hours for me to get to that point, by the next day I was working my self stupid getting a piece of coursework done for the following day.

Best solution, occupy yourself somehow. My current solution is a bizarre mix of Final Year Project and Japanese Language practice, filling my spare moments with Mario 64 DS, Anime and 24.

Another thing is just to remember that JET is not the be all and end all of life, there will be other oppertunities to go to Japan should you wish to pursue them.
    (unless you're 39 or somthing in which case my comment is bollocks)

My advice would be just kick back and enjoy what you're doing now and maybe take up training monkeys to re-enact the battle of gettysburg for the stone cutters lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    (unless you're 39 or somthing in which case my comment is bollocks)
    Why? are they introducing Logans run style carousel? I'm sure you will be able to come to japan if you manage to live past 39
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Shit, i cant believe i didnt think of monkey training, this could be my saviour! This could be what i was put on this feeble earth to do!
    And I love monkeys. I cant believe the careers advisor didnt suggest that to me when i was stressing at school. Blah!

Im off to find a monkey to snatch haha!
    MONKEY

Sorry, i meant over 39 was just for JET as i think that is the oldest you can be when you apply.

Sorry for any confusion

Ah, it's so nice to see that I'm not the only one walking around in a worried/depressive haze after the interview. I felt like mine went well, save for one or two stumbling points (which I have, of course, made a post about), so I'm really worried, but I'll try to stay confident.

This morning I realized that I don't want to go to Japan just on JET - I want to go to Japan to teach and live for a while any way I can, so if I do miss out, this won't mean two years of studying Japanese will be all for not! I'll just have to go through it the hard way and start off with Nova and hope to find a real teaching gig sometime, I suppose.

Still, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one worrying myself to death.

indeed, there's NOVA, GEOS, AEON and so many more ways to teach english, I know plenty of people which use these methods.
    pay is less, as it holiday, but they still enjoy it.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

well....hello again fellow waiters

hows everyones patience treating them? good i hope! keeping your mind off JET? sure you are!! it is bloody difficult isn't it! that little voice in the back of my head is playing tricks on me right about now...

how to get rid of him (the voice, i think its a he) i have no idea..he's telling me that i didn't do so terribly at all in my interview and that i've got the job, and then there's the real me (me supposedly thinking as logical as possible) telling him to shut the hell up to stop getting me excited! its dangerous to think that i'm in i know but i cant help it!

hows your inner voice treating you guys? is he (or she) deceiving u as is mine?

Ah, mine's currently wondering what I have due for homework in my nihongo no jyugyou tomorrow! I guess I better get on it...

My waiting is going fine, I'm currently spending my time trying to recollect all the events that took place on sunday, then I guess I'll get back to work

Fortunatley we find out in April, long before I have more than a smattering of time to think about anything but my degree. But when I do think about it I find that I am indeed nervous, I don't have time to think about it but its a big bit of news one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    The men in white coats will be along shortly.
    You're freaking me out Paul! my inner conscience is already freaking me out! thanks a bunch mate..... :evil:

@redfieldblair....you're soooo lucky its unbelievable! concentrate on your work at uni, forget about JET..thats the way to do it. For me it's a wee bit harder because I don't do shit all week except work weekends and take Japanese classes every wednesday, there is nothing (non-japan related) to busy myself...the only mildly interesting thing I got going at the moment is my gf, who does quite a good job of keeping my mind off Japan..

Thats a point, I take Japanese every Thursday too... and have coursework I need to be doing in that too eeeek

But yes girlfriends can be very distracting, as I first learned during my A-levels. Has she applied to JET too?

Well my interview was yesterday. I drove 10 hours down there and 10 hours back for 20 minutes. I guess now it is wait and see but I didn't really get a good feeling from the panel. They seemed mostly distracted. Oh well, there is always alternatives.
    Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.