Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post your sucessful lessons here!

Star Wars Personality Quiz

I posted this up in downloads. I just made a quiz for the kids to test which Star Wars character they match up to. But it's pretty generic, so you can adapt it to fit any movie/manga/book genre you're working with.

If you get mostly A's: you're the class clown, enthusiastic party-goer, but not exactly going to win the nobel prize (Jar Jar Binks)

Mostly B's: You're brave, willing to give things a shot, generally a nice guy/girl/other, want to become someone important/famous (Anikin Skywalker, before Darth tendencies)

Mostly C's: You're hard-working, studious, headstrong, independent, and generally want to help everyone get along (Amidala)

Mostly D's: You're a genius, you know all the answers, you're wise, and you never get anything wrong (Yoda)

I handed these out to the kids, and then went through each question and response, with the JET translating when the kids didn't get it (fairly often in my school). At the end, I got all the A kids to stand up, and then showed them a picture of Jar Jar. Their responses were brilliant. I did the same for the other three. At the end of the lesson, when we took rollcall, I got them to shout out what character they were instead of the usually deadpan "hai".

Worked like a bomb.

Hand-slap Race

I think everyone knows this one, but for those who don't...

I use this whenever I have too much time left, or the lesson has bombed and the kids are asleep.

All the kids form two lines from the front to the back, with the front being on either side of me. I stand with my hands outstretched to either line. The first 2 step up, I ask a question, the first one with the answer hits my hand and tells me the answer. If they're right, they can go back to their seat. If they're wrong, they go to the back of the line, and the other team gets a shot (same consequences, right or wrong). The first line to be sitting down wins.

I usually incorporate the day's vocab into the questions (what is the weather today, what is "humid" in japanese), and if all else fails, ask them random things like "what's your name".

Warning: the shy kids tend to sneak back to their desks, have your JTE herd them up.

az

Hide Something from sensei,

Also another good warmer or filler, Good for direction classes.

Have an object and get the students to hide it in the classroom while you're not looking. No peeking!!!

Come back in and get the students to tell you where it is using direction words only, i.e no pointing.

You can replace yourself with another student and the hidden object with candy!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by az
    Hide Something from sensei,
    oooh! that's a goodie! i'm doing direction words tomorrow, and i think that one's going to be used! thank you love!

Direction words!?! Blindfold one kid and have their group give them directions around obstacles. Make it a race between 2 teams, e.g. "take one step forward, turn left slowly, stop!" Draw obstacles on paper (i.e. spikes, deadly snakes, drunk salaryman) and space them out between the students and the objective.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

grah. i've now collected like 4 different games using directions and the teacher insists on using the crappy textbook that bores the kids to tears.

*fume*

Blindfold the teacher, then! Christ, do I have to explain everything!?!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

az

Running Gapfill

Better for smallish classes.

Students in pairs (or groups for bigger classes). One is writer, one is runner.

Get students to move the desks and set up one for each writer (group of writers) at the opposite end of the room to a wall.

On the wall stick up some copies of a text. Have a worksheet with gaps for the writer(s).

The runner has to run to the wall read the sentence(s) and then run back and tell it to the writer.

First to finish wins the PRIZE!!

Gets the students up and doing something kinesthetic.
    Works all four skills, reading, writing, speaking and listening. YAY.

az

Mime the illness.

Today we did Are you all right (lesson 5 hello there)

For a start I thought ok I'll write up the vocab on the board, head ache etc,etc. i drilled the pronunciation in chorus and individually then...

I thought lets play a game. I mimed the first illness and the class had to guess what it was, they all laughed at me and it was funny...

But then who-ever raised their hand and got it correct could then choose the next "actor"...

This game ended up being hilarious as it gave the students motivation to answer, for the pure fact that they wanted to see their friends make a fool of themselves,

Oh and it was good concept reinforcment of the vocabulary items and some speaking/pronunciation practice.

Anyone got any good Halloween ideas? I had a quick look at Paul's lesson plan in the downloads section but although it looks good its a wee bit hard for my jhs 1st grade and elementary students. was thinking about do the "mummy" game but its a bit mottainai on the bog roll side of things. Looking for sth genki and relatively easy if poss! Cheers!!

Go to http://www.go.com and click on the Disney Section. They have cut outs and crafts that little ones can do.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

az

Finally got my quietest class to speak-loudly for a long time, Yay!!!!

Back to Back Dialogue Sentence Fill.

Students got in pairs, moved their chairs and desks and sat back to back.

The dialogue was a conversation between Hello Kitty and Doraemon.

Student A was Hello Kitty and had gaps where Doraemon's speech was.
    Student B was Doraemon and had gaps where Kitty's speech was..

Student A had to read his/her line out loud and Student B had to write it down, so on and so forth.

Fantastic- they had to speak or they couldn't do the activity.
    Worked all four skills but mainly it got them speaking out loud!!!!

nince one az, gonna steal that. Except I'll have it has a Halloween convo between Ghost and Zombie. My kids love the word Zombie. Probably because I yell it everyday.

Why? are you in a Cranberrys tribute band?

az

The Cranberries rule!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic
    Why? are you in a Cranberrys tribute band?
    It'd be a pretty crappy tribute band if we yelled "Zombie". We should be crooning.

And yes, the cranberries rule