Thread: Book recommendations for advanced English student

Default Book recommendations for advanced English student

I have a friend who is very good at English (currently a junior (3rd year) at an American university maintaining around a 3.8 GPA) who has never read a novel in English and wants me to suggest something good for him to start out with.

I'm kind of blanking. Most of the stuff I've read recently is really convoluted ("Cats Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut), really long ("World Without End" by Ken Follett, or somehow not worth recommending.

For Japanese authors, he likes Mishima Yukio a lot. He recently read Crime and Punishment (in Japanese). He doesn't want to read something translated from Japanese to English, however, so I am looking for recommendations.

Default Re: Book recommendations for advanced English student

There might be some recommendations here.

I've also been asked this by one of my wife's friends. Some of the stuff I thought about included The History of Love, Remains of the Day, A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, The Happy Prince and other stories, Waterland, Amsterdam, and Cloud Atlas.

I really have no way of knowing whether those books are too difficult in terms of the English they use, but they're the books that I have enjoyed that seem, to me, to use very precise English, which I thought might make it easier for someone for whom English is a second language. In particular, A Thousand Years of Good Prayers was written by a Chinese author who had only recently learnt English, and is made up of short stories, which might make it easier to read.