Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has everyone heard back yet?

Default Has everyone heard back yet?

Greetings and Salutations all,

This is for ALT applicants for 2005, have you all heard back for a rejection or interview one way or another? I dropped my application by hand to the embassy in Picadilly before the original deadline and had the stamped envelope back and all.

So has anyone else not heard anything back yet? I called them and they said the letters are going out still, and it could be as late as mid-feb before i even know!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Shame they cant just tell us straight up whats going on, as we all have lives to live and plans to make! :cry:

JT

Welcome, Welcome to the JET application system. which, I see, is being particularly difficult this year.

you are talking to those in the throws and those in the know. we can only sympathise and say "it doesn't get better until you land in Tokyo"
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

I'm in the same position. I know they've got my application and I haven't heard back one way or the other yet.
    I'm not too worried yet, one of my friends got an invtation last week.

Well I only got my interview notification very recently and I sent mine in November. So there is still hope yet.

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Not heard anything.

They do say they do ALT interviews until mid-Feb so there is still time yet.

Hiya, yeh im another in the same boat...

i checked my application today, and they said they still havent looked at it yet! but i guess i can expect that after handing it in a couple of hours before the final deadline, so im trying not to let it bother me

but yeh it is very difficult not knowing one way or the other, exactly what the future holds...

i saw a rumour from the 2004group that JET are expecting to take more ALTs for 2005 than in previous years, so thats some good news to clutch on to!

Good luck with applications everyone
    JON

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse
    Hiya, yeh im another in the same boat...

i checked my application today, and they said they still havent looked at it yet! but i guess i can expect that after handing it in a couple of hours before the final deadline, so im trying not to let it bother me

but yeh it is very difficult not knowing one way or the other, exactly what the future holds...

i saw a rumour from the 2004group that JET are expecting to take more ALTs for 2005 than in previous years, so thats some good news to clutch on to!

Good luck with applications everyone
    JON
    Interesting. I'd really like to know what order they look at applications in, if any. For all I know they could have looked at mine and chucked it in the bin back in December, which would be ultra harsh .

Patience guys! Most of the people on this site have shown the incentive to find out about Japan. Despite my occasional cynicism about people making plans for their time in Japan before they get the gig, I am sure that EVERYONE here has a very, very good chance of getting the job.

The JET application process takes over 6 months, with perhaps 3 pieces of correspondence from your embassy in that time. You need to relax, please.

Also stay away from Big Daikon as well. It is probably not a bad idea, once you've had your interview, to leave here for a while, Japan is going to take over your life for maybe 3 years, you need to concentrate on your friends and loved ones over the next few months. Believe me, I wish I'd hung out with my big brother one last time or gone for one last walk with my amazing dog.

You will regret it when you get here and you realise that all your questions, though valid, are perhaps not as relevant to the position that you are going to take, wait for your pred. to contact you, do not listen to us, or if you do, take a vat of salt with you.

minasan ganbatte

You'll all do fine, I have spoken

That's all well, that it takes forever and we should all take sedatives, drink tea and watch the crystal maze etc. (well maybe not, way too exciting seeing O'Brien at work),

But JET is still a job and its realistic to want to get on with looking for something else or get on with preparing for the interview. As such, 2 months can seem like an eternity, thus we vent.

Or maybe i just dread the oft-asked question "What are you planning to do for the next year or so?". If I had a penny for every "um...", "maybe..." and "Japan" i have to say these days....

JT

I have to admit i've noticed how many times I've said "hopefully Japan", fortunatley my backup is fairly certain, I'll be applying for the Games Programming MSc (only need to get a 2-2 since I'm from the uni running it and I'm pretty confident of getting a reasonable 2-1).
    I have to say though it would be soooooo nice to goto Japan before the MSc, these 3 years at uni... well I've visited a lot of other unis to see friends but I don't really feel as if I've expanded my horizons. Sure I've gained a lot of new interests, but I've had to give up tennis, cycling and even my intermitant piano during term time, if anything I've been holiday fewer times since joining uni, seen less of the world than when I was young, fewer new experiences. I've got an itching to get out there. Plus teaching was my backup job plan, it'll be nice to find out how well that would have agreed with me.

Red. If you're thinking of doing the Hull MSC Games Programming degree then you'll need about 7000 pounds minimum to cover living and tuition fee costs. If you do get on the JET program, all I can say is SAVE SAVE SAVE! If you can that is.

Meh that shouldn't be a problem, its really not all THAT much different from what each year of the BSc is costing. Although... that is the kind of amount I'm pretty sure the 'rents would want paying back Either way I'd eventually end up paying but the order isn't the be all and end all.
    Also we do get some kind of loan correct? In second year I had to phone about my current loan so its a question I posed, I was told that I would be able to get one, although I did get the impression the person I was talking to wasn't all there.

I don't think I could cope with an MSc, I've had enough of academic computing!

I can't stand programming on its own any more, but I really enjoy anything games realted, the graphics side of things especially but also physics and maths. I've met most of the people who lecture for the MSc and have to say it looks like it would be fun, they're all pretty friendly and I don't fall asleep whilst talking to them

Just wait till the lectures start and then with some lecturers you may change your mind.

The compulsory 60 minute presentation on an advanced topic of maths or physics is by far the most stressful thing you have to do on the MSc. The best thing is the final year project. 3 months of no lessons and a project that YOU want to do.

My project was an Alien Breed style computer game in C++ and OpenGL using advanced colloborative AI programmed by myself. Ie you could play the game but the other members of your team were computer controlled and thus went around doing their own thing and talked to you and each other on screen, (they could even complete the entire game on their own accord if you just stood there yourself and watched)
    It also featured duel language support with English and Japanese, implemented for no other reason other than that I could!

3 months of no lectures and doing what you want was great.

Anyway, ahem. Sorry for highjacking this tread temporarily.

Thanks. Although I just prefer to be known as a computer geek.

They don't really teach game programming in regular degrees because they consider it unnecessary and not really academically useful. Also because it's so much more difficult than regular programming. Mainly due to the fact that there are literally so many ways of coding something and math based.

It's very easy these days though to get started, especially with simple 2D games. If you're interested Paul then I'd suggest the easiest place to start is by using Blitz:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/

The demo is free.

Well you already know my Final Year Project (space combat game with an infinite terrain system + LOD). Currently sat infront of my PC trying to come up with realistic shadows, finally found a good method on gamedev.net but its horribly documented so I'm having to take the 1 paragraph explanation and completley design it from scratch.
    I was wondering, is there any chance they'd let me expand my final year project for my MSc project? I'd like the opportunity to add A.I. something I've never done before, and also mission scripting. It seems wastefull to start again from scratch particularly when those are such large projects in themselves.

Well there's nothing stopping you from starting your project early. At least to familiarise with new techniques or commands. What I do these days is
    For example I wrote a romanji to hiragana/katakana convertor that will allow me to display Japanese characters in graphics bitmap fonts that I created.
    Now whenever I need to use it I just append it to the top of my project and call the commands I wrote and then I can display Japanese in any of my projects. Start writing things now and make them into libraries. Hell at least the experience of doing it the first time will make it much easier the 2nd time.

Besides when you get cracking, 3months is a very long time when working almost all day every day and you might get well addicted to doing your project and add even more things. (If you're like me that is)

If you're new to AI then I suggest you make a very simple game. Such as Connect 4/Space Invaders/Pacman and then write some primitive logic for it. Learn about A* too. Even a very simple game, requires a fair bit of AI logic.

Did Space Invaders before uni, here I've done the R-Type coursework and I *think* I added basic guessing tech to the battleships, if not I atleast planned it, but I assumed there was a LOT more to the subject than that. I meant really get my hands dirty with the subject. Although mission scripting is my high priority right now, already made a minor start on that but a bit busy with my FYP to take it very far atm.

I'm not familiar with mission scripting. Although I'm sure if you explained it to me, or I bothered to look myself then I probably do what it is.