Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A stab in the dark

  1. #1
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default A stab in the dark

    After I'm done on JET, I want to do my masters (in TESOL, education or linguistics at a push) but I'd like to do it in a non-English speaking country, so I can work as a teacher on the side.

    The City University of Hong Kong has a really good programme, 11 people apply for every 1 spot. I've found a few in Korea too.. but if possible somewhere nearer home, in Europe would be better.

    Right now I'm collecting info ready for when I want to make a decision but I'm not finding so many websites that help with this kind of thing. Does anyone know of anything that can help in my search?
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Perhaps consider programs in major cities in English speaking countries. Anywhere with a large enough immigrant population will have English teaching jobs going.

  3. #3
    SENIOR MEMBER Neb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    EVILUOYEREHW
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    After I'm done on JET, I want to do my masters (in TESOL, education or linguistics at a push) but I'd like to do it in a non-English speaking country, so I can work as a teacher on the side.

    The City University of Hong Kong has a really good programme, 11 people apply for every 1 spot. I've found a few in Korea too.. but if possible somewhere nearer home, in Europe would be better.

    Right now I'm collecting info ready for when I want to make a decision but I'm not finding so many websites that help with this kind of thing. Does anyone know of anything that can help in my search?
    now why would you suggest an English speaking country? im sure she wants to get a new language under her belt as well, which is why she chose non-english speaking

  4. #4
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default Re: A stab in the dark

    Indeed I do. I wa going for Korea but if I went to Europe it will be cheaper for me, the uni will be of higher class and I could get my French back
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    now why would you suggest an English speaking country? im sure she wants to get a new language under her belt as well, which is why she chose non-english speaking
    Yeah I didn't think she'd be greatly enthused about the idea. Personally I wouldn't turn down a good program just because of where it was.

    Europe also avoids the working on a student visa issues. You might even be able to find some EU diversity/exchange/all one big happy family fund to help you pay for it.

  6. #6
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default Re: A stab in the dark

    I'm not turning down good programmes based on their location. I just want to see if there are any good programmed in places where I want to live. I've been offered a nice little place at a uni in Nagoya, where they are trying to balance the extreme amount of Chinese students they have with more Western people. The place they offered me comes with a part time teaching job at the same university, so I can earn whilst I learn. If I can find something like this in a place that isn't Japan, it would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    Senior Member 3ngrishsensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    922

    Default

    There are always "English" schools in many countries - instructed entirely in English - designed for international students from around the world for various purposes...like for children of intl' ambassadors, etc. for example, I used to live near one international school in Europe near a NATO base. Usually these schools like to see some international experience on your resume, so having JET would look good, and you might actually have some Japanese kids in your class, along with some polish, russian...dutch? who knows?

    This is just off the top of my head, so if you're interested I'll dig some more info up from some stuff I saved in my time in Europe. Let me know.

  8. #8
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ngrishsensei View Post
    There are always "English" schools in many countries - instructed entirely in English - designed for international students from around the world for various purposes...like for children of intl' ambassadors, etc. for example, I used to live near one international school in Europe near a NATO base. Usually these schools like to see some international experience on your resume, so having JET would look good, and you might actually have some Japanese kids in your class, along with some polish, russian...dutch? who knows?

    This is just off the top of my head, so if you're interested I'll dig some more info up from some stuff I saved in my time in Europe. Let me know.
    But this would mean that I would be teaching a subject in English. I am not able to teach anything but English to non native people, and I think most of these kids would be fluent.

    The job is not the problem. Finding a good website with information about masters in other countries (that isn't studyabroad.com because that is limited to a certain extent) is what I am looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Senior Member 3ngrishsensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    But this would mean that I would be teaching a subject in English. I am not able to teach anything but English to non native people, and I think most of these kids would be fluent.
    Right, gomen. forgot about that.
    You know, all those required pieces of paper for teaching are worthless junk compared to experience. Unfortunately this world is so concerned with paper.

  10. #10
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default Re: A stab in the dark

    When people round here say that I'm dumb, they are mostly right. I have no idea about math, poems, science... pretty much any school subject. My degree with in Japanese and teaching English. This is what I do. Put me in another classroom and I'll sink faster than Lego's ego when someone says they don't like DoABarrelRoll
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default Re: A stab in the dark

    A Brit saying math and not maths? Intersting...
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

  12. #12
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default Re: A stab in the dark

    An English teacher not being able to spell interesting after complaining about hid students' bad spelling... 面白い。。。
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    Senior Member 3ngrishsensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    hid
    psst

  14. #14
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default Re: A stab in the dark

    I'm using an iPhone. I have an excuse. And I have never complained about my kids' spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •