Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputation

Default Reputation

You may now leave positive/negative reputation points for every post on the site. I haven't decided what to do with negative points, maybe the post in question will be hidden automatically when it gets 3 or so negative rep points? Not sure yet.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Default Re: Reputation

Interesting.

I'd say give it more than three negative rep points, because three people could pretty much hide everything on the site if they wanted. Maybe more like ten?

After a person acquires a certain number of negative ratings, could their posts be automatically hidden from everyone? Say, for example, if I acquire a reputation of -500 or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Question about the colour notifications. I'm guessing it will be Red, Green and Yellow? Also the comments showing as you hover over them i.e. "word is on a distinguished road" what do the others say i.e. for red or yellow? (If that's the colour scheme)
    Also where does one find out how they're doing apart from hovering over their coloured button? Can they see who voted positively/negatively track their own progress or whatever?

This is the 1st forum I've used to this extent so have no idea of the workings of these other than to see who's nice and who isn't...

Banned

I've seen these in a different forum, with green/yellow/red depending on negative or positive points. I would recommend that posts aren't hidden (and if you were going to do that, then make it rare - i.e. they had like 100% negative reputation + a significant number of negatives). But it is a good way for posters themselves to decide who is useful/informative/a total cock and who to put on their ignore list.

Edit:

The main problem with the rep system on the other forum was that, as can be expected, some friends would just continually give eachother positive reputation back and forth. This was solved by 2 features:

1) You couldn't give someone positive rep twice in a row unless you gave rep to like 3 - 4 other people in between that. So I could give to Sinderella, but then would have to give to X, Y and Z before I could give it to her again.

2) Another nice feature was that people with a lot of rep carried more weight. I don't know how it was implemented from an admin point of view (but it looks like the same system - little green/red boxes). But basically someone who already had thousands of rep gave proportionally more rep than, say, a newbie.
    Last edited by Hikari; March 7th, 2010 at 03:21. Reason: More info

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

what happens if a group of people decide to gang up on someone and give them negative points just because they don't like them?

[i'm just saying... there's lots of folk out there who hate me just because i was a mod., let alone all the other reasons!]
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Yep, that's a problem. It's a balancing act as always.

Well, the rep system is there but its just recording numbers at the moment, no action will be taken just yet.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    I've seen these in a different forum, with green/yellow/red depending on negative or positive points. I would recommend that posts aren't hidden (and if you were going to do that, then make it rare - i.e. they had like 100% negative reputation + a significant number of negatives). But it is a good way for posters themselves to decide who is useful/informative/a total cock and who to put on their ignore list.

Edit:

The main problem with the rep system on the other forum was that, as can be expected, some friends would just continually give eachother positive reputation back and forth. This was solved by 2 features:

1) You couldn't give someone positive rep twice in a row unless you gave rep to like 3 - 4 other people in between that. So I could give to Sinderella, but then would have to give to X, Y and Z before I could give it to her again.

2) Another nice feature was that people with a lot of rep carried more weight. I don't know how it was implemented from an admin point of view (but it looks like the same system - little green/red boxes). But basically someone who already had thousands of rep gave proportionally more rep than, say, a newbie.
    good points. point 1) has already been implemented. I'm not saying how many exactly, but you do have to give to other users before re-repping someone.

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    Question about the colour notifications. I'm guessing it will be Red, Green and Yellow? Also the comments showing as you hover over them i.e. "word is on a distinguished road" what do the others say i.e. for red or yellow? (If that's the colour scheme)
    Also where does one find out how they're doing apart from hovering over their coloured button? Can they see who voted positively/negatively track their own progress or whatever?

This is the 1st forum I've used to this extent so have no idea of the workings of these other than to see who's nice and who isn't...
    To be honest I'm not sure! It's the first time I've used a forum with it, nevermind admin one with it installed.

It's a work in progress and we'll see what happens

Why do you care? Points or no points the site is just fine the way it is. I say leave it alone like you planned on doing, stop trying to invent new things that are bound to fail or actually reinforce the moderation policy. There's no need for this colour coordinated crap. This is not youtube. Stay not caring or fix the moderation issues (i.e. more than one moderator needs to ban/delete posts).

thats the whole point - if we go for rep, then more than 1 person needs to disapprove of the post before anything is done. The site would moderate itself without the need of admins/mods. sounds perfect to me.

I wouldn't auto-ignore anyone on the whole site after any under of points. As people above have said it'd be supremely easy for a group of people, as few as 5, to search for my say few hundred most recent posts and disapprove of them all - essentially muting me.

If those 5 people think I'm an ass they can ignore me individually.

Perhaps you could mix the 2 systems of control, have moderators (controversial I know) whose role is to review the posts of anyone with more than say 100 negative points overall to see if they need to be banned or warned.

The idea being to avoid the perceived abuses from the old system. If the community as a whole have voted that a person's case be reviewed it leaves less room for abuse. Okay you may from time to time get a case review which goes the 'wrong' way as far as the users are concerned. At least in these situations you have been seen to listen to them by reviewing the case of people they've disapproved of as a group.

Similarly you could set individual posts to hide pending review once 10 points have been accrued on that post. Mods could then either keep it hidden, as an offensive post, or unhide it as an unpopular but valid point.

The key would be to remind everyone that the reputation system ties into site moderation, i.e. that people get in trouble got negative points and it isn't intended as a system for showing agreement or disagreement.

Not sure if any of that is technically possible at this time; but it's an idea nonetheless.

Also; for overwhelmingly positive reputations you could perhaps have another set of medals (as you do for length of service and post counts). Not really sure any other reward is appropriate. Again positive reputation should be given for useful posts (good lesson plans, good advice in applying, amusing stories) rather than to show approval or agreement.

To be honest, the more I see this discussed, the less I care for it. Djordje is right; this is needless complication in an attempt to solve a problem that could probably be solved far more effectively with a bit of better moderation. I don't wanna be too critical, FishBulb, I know you guys deal with a lot of stupid whining about stupid butthurt. I just think this is just another cluttery thing that will either be wildly abused or completely ignored.
    Last edited by word; March 7th, 2010 at 20:55.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Is there a way of seeing which posts have recieved negative rep? I haven't posted anything new for a week, I've clicked on my last 20 posts and it says none of them have received any reputation yet I magically have -190 points. Are people using the search function or is there murder most foul afoot?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Go to your User CP page; you should be able to see a listing there.
    Last edited by word; March 8th, 2010 at 09:54. Reason: Er, I mean User CP, not Profile.

excellent, thank you my little sugarplum fairy. Any reason why I started out on -190 or is it like golf and I was given a handicap to compensate for my massive testicles?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Since when do you take this so seriously anyway?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Since 0932 January 12th 2005

Whilst I can see where you're going with this, I don't think it's going to work out how you intend it to.
    Example being in the space of 30 minutes Doug has gone from having 6 green blocks to having 6 red ones.
    ITIL's core members are a pretty close-knit community, many having met in real life, and one of the biggest complaints from a community aspect is the amount of "circle-jerking" that goes on around here. Because of this, members are going to good reputations from friends and people they dislike are going to get shit reputations (as Wicket said).

Whilst there is nothing wrong with having the reputation meter there as say, a reference, at the same time having action be taken from it (such as hiding posts) could just get REALLY messy. And you don't want that now, do you?
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Yeah, i had a chuckle at how i have 1 negative rep. And now i have -439 points. Prior to I was like 200+ and 5 positive reps.
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

I have -842 points.

Negative reps received were because "I object to the use of the word hella" and "Private message?"

Neutral reps received were because "She's hot!" and "one more for the korean whore"

One positive rep with no comment
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.