Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Default Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

This thread contains links to many, many online stores where you can acquire things that might be difficult to find or impractical to buy otherwise. Check it out!

Oral:

Toothpaste---Can be found in Japan but lacks whitening agents.
    Mouthwash---Yes
    Specific Mouthwash---Listerine, yes.
    " "---Scope?
    Toothbrushes---can be found in Japan.
    Floss---yes

Face:
    Anti-acne agents---Yes
    Anti-acne agent Solugel---Unknown
    anti-acne agent PanOxyl---?
    St. Ives facewash---?
    Biore---Can be found in Japan.
    Oxy Pads---yes

Body:
    Deoderant---cloaking kind, anti-persperant found in pharmacy.
    Dove Soap---Yes
    Different kinds of Dove Soap---yes
    Old Spice---Yes
    Perfume---Yes
    Cologne---Yes
    Condoms---can be found in Japan.
    Birth control---can be found in Japan
    Plan B pill---?
    Axe---Yes

Hair:
    Volumizer---yes
    Conditioner---yes
    Shampoo---Can be found in Japan.
    Brands available---Dove, Pantene Pro V.
    Shaving Cream--?

Drugs:
    Weed---illegal, not decriminalized.
    Advil---illegal; fever advil available; cold/sinus not available.
    Tylenol---can be found in Japan
    Aspirin---yes
    Polysporin---similar brands are available

Food:
    Red-hot chilli peppers---?
    Oregano---Yes
    Spices---Yes
    Turkey---Rare
    Ham---Yes
    Chicken---Available.
    Whale meat---available.
    Blocks of cheese---rare in japan.
    Chocolate Milk---none
    Chocolate Syrup---yes.
    Bacon--rare
    Peperoni--barely
    Large ovens are also rare.
    Kitchens are small.
    Garden Cocktail--Yes
    V8--Yes, more rare to find, but Yes.
    Tomato Juice---Yes
    Tomato Paste---Yes
    Avacado---Yes
    Tenderflake---?
    Baking dough---yes
    Bread--yes/barely any slices
    Turkey--yes, but rare.
    Spinach--Yes
    Broccoli---yes

Other:
    Cable---yes, CNN, FOX, BBC
    Internet---yes
    Satellite to watch CNN, FOX...etc---??
    Netflix/Hulu will work with a VPN setup. Proxies are usually detected and blocked.

FUN:
    Theatres readily available. May be expensive so check for deals.
    3D, 2D Theatres also present.
    Seaworld--yes
    Disneyworld---yes

Last edited by word; June 14th, 2011 at 14:24. Reason: Cleaning, added a few things, changed font color from that godawful red.

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Blocks of cheese are rare in Japan if what the others have said is anything to go by

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

i am soooooo sick of hearing that you can't get antiperspirant in japan. you can. just look in the pharmacy rather than on the supermarket shelves.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I live in Johannesburg, originally from Durban though.

No wait back to the block of cheese... if they dont have blocks of cheese, then what cheese do they have?

On a similar note, does anyone know if they have feta or haloumi?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

definitely yes to feta. also to blocks of cheese. almost anything you want, you will be able to find in japan. just not maybe in YOUR japan - you might have to wait for a trip to tokyo or osaka then stock up, for example. or you might have to order it online from the foreign buyers club or something.
    bottom line, you don't need to take it with you!!!
    [unless it's enormous shoes or clothing, in which case it will be far more convenient and cheaper to post some to yourself before you leave].
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    if they dont have blocks of cheese, then what cheese do they have?
    Think Kraft singles style.

On the subject of cheese, good luck finding Mac n Cheese, I had withdrawals

I was able to find block-style cheddar cheese at a liquor store when I was a student.

Unless you're a toothless limey with a 20kg weight limit, I suggest packing your suitcases to the brim, unless you want to be a knob spending $20 on a block of cheese.

Mouthwash: My inaka town, and slightly larger towns nearby all sell Listerine (mint and orange flavours).

Toothbrushes: can be found, but they suck. Bring a few from home.

Floss: I've seen it around. Seems fairly common.

Acne stuff: Lots of Biore stuff, as well as Oxy-Clean and random spot-treatment gels. Might be better off bringing some of your preferred treatments from home though, just in case.

Deodorant: anti-perspirants are different from deodorants, but in either case, I've never seen any (in a pharmacy or elsewhere) other than Axe. Don't play Smelly Foreigner Roulette and hope you land near a place that sells the real stuff; just bring 6-7 sticks from home and save yourself the worry.

Dove: I've seen Dove soap, and those foaming face cloth things.

Old Spice: Haven't come across it.

Perfume/Cologne: Uncommon, but not impossible.

Advil: Not necessarily illegal; the one for fever/pain is fine, but the cold/sinus kind (as are most Western cold meds) are illegal.

Spices: Everywhere

Turkey: I haven't seen it myself, but I would imagine bigger places have the sliced turkey lunch meats.

Ham: Tons of it.
    __
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

You can get a variety of shampoos and conditioners here. There are several J-Brands, and I've seen Pantene Pro-V sold here, too.

Toothbrushes tend to be small-ish, but if you shop around, you can get some decent ones.

Aspirin can be bought in Japan, although I had to go to a drugstore to get it. It's sold in blister packs, not bottles, presumably because of the high humidity.
    Last edited by word; March 8th, 2010 at 09:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrography View Post
    On the subject of cheese, good luck finding Mac n Cheese, I had withdrawals
    Foreign foods stores have it. I just saw it on Saturday.

Anything you want you'll be able to find, maybe not in the middle of the countryside however in large cities? yes. There are mail order companies (check the Japan/JET forum for loads of links) that will get pretty much anything to you.
    Last edited by word; June 14th, 2011 at 14:25. Reason: Added link.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Brazilian stores are great for hard to find sandwich meats here, such as mortadella.

Toothpaste: can of course be found and, contrary to popular belief, sometimes has flouride and sometimes has a whitening agent. I'm on my second tube of aquafresh extreme clean whitening that i bought in Don Kihote.

Turkey: I've never seen it and I've looked, even in import shops. My guess would be that turkey is extremely difficult to find in Japan in a shop or grocery store.

Aspirin: widely available, can be found at many drugstores, specifically Bufferin brand aspirin.

If there is something you need and you want to throw some money at getting it, you can get a lot of things on ebay sent over to japan. It's not the cheapest solution, but it will get the job done without seemingly endless searching. (*not a recommended solution for obtaining blocks of cheese.)
    Last edited by jakegio; March 8th, 2010 at 10:36.

I have only seen turkey in the form of a smoked turkey leg for 1600 yen during the run-up to thanksgiving/christmas time when the stores are inundated with weird forms of specialty meats.

Mac and cheese is rare and expensive (300 where I've found it) at some import grocery stores. Big blocks of cheese are available at costco, but get used to "spreadable" cheeses in the form of Belcube or the wedges. Hokkaido-brand string cheese, alarmingly, is goddamned delicious.

When I make my home-people send me care packages, I really only ask for a few things: tons of mac and cheese, triscuit crackers, big beefy breakfast cereal (cheerios do not exist here or at most import stores unless you buy from the flying pig in massive bulk), and rice a roni.

Oregano and cayenne pepper can be found at an import store, I got a massive tub of cayenne at a costco for about 700 yen. Shampoo and conditioners are no problem, we like the Shiseido brand in the red bottles and refill pouches. Also clothing detergent is in easy supply and with a zillion varieties.

We have a small english bookstore around here, but you can also find almost anything on amazon.co.jp and go pay at the conbini. If you don't mind a hellish shipping fee, small media can also be purchased and shipped internationally from amazon.ca and .com.

Aspirin-100% yes
    Dove of all variations-yes.
    floss-definitely
    Cheese - Feta yes but expensive. havent seen haloumi in 4 years (cries) you can fins tiny blocks of gouda, chedar and mozarella, just more expensive than you would want them to be (inaka soupermarket info)
    Hairproducts - tons. Shampoo and conditioner you can find a lot of foreign brands (lux, pantene, Loreal etc) if you have curly hair you might have more trouble for obvious reasons.

The only thing I cannot find in Japan in choclate milk.

Seriously. I found the toothpaste with the whitening in it but they don't sell chocolate milk here.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    The only thing I cannot find in Japan in choclate milk.

Seriously. I found the toothpaste with the whitening in it but they don't sell chocolate milk here.
    that crisis can be averted by picking up some hershey's chocolate syrup, which is also available at Don Kihote. if you cant find it or don't have that shop nearby, look by the pancake stuff in your grocery store. i've seen Morinaga brand chocolate syrup next to the maple syrup a bunch of times.

I don't own a satellite but I receive the channels that were requested and about 60 more.
    I have hikari tv as part of my internet package and receive cable channels.
    Check out asahi.net for an idea of what they offer.
    There are many different providers who offer similar things but asahi is my current internet provider which is why I've recommended their site.
    You will not be without cnn or fox etc. You might be a bit behind on some tv shows, but you won't be without.

Getting a credit card in Japan can be quite hard. The conbini lets you pay for nearly everything you might ever need a credit card for and is actually really convenient.
    I first used COD for my payments for amazon, and then once my JCB card arrived, started using that instead.
    You could use an international card but it makes more sense to just be able to pay in the local currency at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
    I don't own a satellite but I receive the channels that were requested and about 60 more.
    I have hikari tv as part of my internet package and receive cable channels.
    Check out asahi.net for an idea of what they offer.
    There are many different providers who offer similar things but asahi is my current internet provider which is why I've recommended their site.
    You will not be without cnn or fox etc. You might be a bit behind on some tv shows, but you won't be without.
    Are your channels in English (ex: CNN) or Japanese with subtitles?