Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Quote Originally Posted by osu941 View Post
    Why would you have to pay at a conbini? I figure you're set up with a credit/cash card, right?
    you can pay for amazon.co.jp purchases by credit card. they also do cash on delivery for a small fee. you can also order online and pay at a conbini with cash if you dont have a credit card and want to avoid the COD fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje View Post
    Are your channels in English (ex: CNN) or Japanese with subtitles?
    Wonderful wonderful English.
    Some are dubbed in Japanese but you can change it back to English.
    Some foreign movies and shows are only in the language it was made in eg French.
    Some are in Japanese only.
    But the majority - English. Aah.

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Sorry that should be ASAHI Net

Four years plus in this country. There isn't much you can't find.

Pain pills are the one thing you should bring if you need the really strong stuff.. Or have sent if you're worried.

Besides that, random medical/ body stuff if you have a certain brand you really really really can't live without.

For example, I have very sensitive skin and thus I can really only use a certain brand of antiperspirant.

Really though, unless you're really in the middle of nowhere, you'll be fine. If you're in a medium sized city or bigger, you'll be aces.

here's one.....anyone seen a slurpee in japan?

No, and I was devastated to find Japanese 7-11 stores don't have the tasty icees that the U.S. 7-11 stores always have.

Deodorant with antiperspirant isn't easy to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Of course it might be argued that (almost) everything is gettable in Japan, but here's what I get sent/brought from home because it's not worth my time to find or the price that's charged at the import shop:
    Neutrogena facial wash, cardboard applicator tampons, maxi pads with adhesive on the whole bottom surface (instead of just in the middle so it moves around and gets all uncomfortable), degree brand antiperspirant, crest toothpaste, waterproof sport sunscreen, sunscreen for my face, facial moisturizer, dried chile peppers, exotic spices, ibuprofen, pepcid AC, my favorite black tea.

Books: available on amazon.co.jp but might be cheaper to order from amazon.com thanks to discounts

Stuff that I have found:
    They sell whole turkeys at the meat shop in my town. They are ridiculously expensive (like 4000 yen for a turkey the size of a large chicken)

Most ham is the processed and re-shaped kind.

The roast beef is quite good.

You can watch almost any TV show you want to for free on the internet.

Cheese: think of the 20 most popular cheeses at your grocery store. That's probably what I can find at my local import shop. My supermarket has spreadable cheese, cheddar, shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, string cheese, and mimolette. You might be able to find 50 kinds if you go to Osaka or Tokyo or shop online.

I've been to her Japan. It's all lies!

There's one in the list that really needs repeating: SUNSCREEN. I've only ever seen the girly SPF 9 billion kind in the tiny bottles that the J-girls use to avoid looking like Filipinos. A few bottles of sunscreen from home is a wise investment.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

There's a nice foreign foods store, at least in the Kansai region, called Yamaya. They carry a good selection of real cheese, many many different kinds of alcohol, American soft drinks (thing Dad's Root Beer) and other snacks/foods you might not be able to get at your local grocer (like Skippy peanut butter).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrography View Post
    Oh, you can get condoms just fine if you look around a bit, but it's probably good for your reputation if you ask your friends to send them from home anyway.
    Japanese condoms suck!!! I don't know if I'm on a bad streak and purchasing every shit brand on the shelf...but yeah. Might want to bring a big box of whatever you're used to.
    C'mon you faggot who we're piling on! Quit being such a bitch ass cunt!

Bring as much hot sauce, corn tortilla's and re-fried beans as you can carry (if you like mexican)...You can find it here in the bigger cities, demo takai desu ne!
    Also, if you like American style beef jerky, bring that too...Japanese jerky is pretty sad.

For those carnivores out there, check out Grade-A Meat and Cheese delivered to your door in Japan! The Meat Guy

You can get all kinds of burgers, steaks, all the way up to gator, kangaroo and boar meat! He's out of Nagoya and he delivers for a fee.
    C'mon you faggot who we're piling on! Quit being such a bitch ass cunt!

+1 on cheese

- Mexican Food
    - Decent Pizza
    - Good Variety of Beer
    - Gravy
    - Vegetarian/Vegan Stuff
    - Doritos (They have them, but they not the same as the ones found in the US)
    - Big Sushi Rolls
    - Medium/Hard Tooth Brush
    - Brownies
    - Cherry Coke, Most Varieties of Diet Soda,
    - Whole Wheat Bread
    - Chili
    - Normal Sized Condoms
    Genki?

what about olive oil and balsamic vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by Omoplata View Post
    I remember once I was walking through a shopping center with a Japanese friend and there was a store giving out samples of olive oil and that kind of stuff. My friend said that she had never tasted olive oil before. So if that's any kind of indicator, then there is olive oil in Japan but not many people use it.

how about museli?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

gravy? WTF? all you need for gravy are meat juices, plain flour and the water from cooking your vegies.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Hmm, I think the thing I'd really miss (if I get in) is an oven in my apartment. I understand they aren't very common in Japanese homes, correct?

Does anyone reading this have one, or know someone with one?

Quote Originally Posted by Omoplata View Post
    how about museli?
    If you've got a Kaldi Coffee in your area you can get it there. Otherwise FBC has it. Olive oil is no problem, balsamic might be at a well stocked supermarket and definitely at import shops.

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    I've been to her Japan. It's all lies!

There's one in the list that really needs repeating: SUNSCREEN. I've only ever seen the girly SPF 9 billion kind in the tiny bottles that the J-girls use to avoid looking like Filipinos. A few bottles of sunscreen from home is a wise investment.
    Marche, Kaldi, Fressay Clas: D? Don't you have a car? You could hit all three in one day next time you're in the city.

Yeah, sunscreen. The ones I've tried have a watery texture so I never feel like I have enough on. And they come off as soon as you start to sweat.
    Last edited by ciaobebe; March 9th, 2010 at 16:53.

Those of you not currently in Japan or thinking about the past remember that things can change.

I've found olive oil in regular stores. Even out here there is a store that started carrying salsa, taco kits, and corn chips.

Almost everything listed in this thread can be found if you find a Kaldi or Yamaya or the internet. It's just not as convenient as home and more expensive.