Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Omoplata View Post
    how about museli?
    Import stores have it. Very easy to get.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Omoplata View Post
    what about olive oil and balsamic vinegar?
    Oh yeah. I LIVE off of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Most of the medium sized cities should have stores that carry it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    C'mon you faggot who we're piling on! Quit being such a bitch ass cunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post
    Hmm, I think the thing I'd really miss (if I get in) is an oven in my apartment. I understand they aren't very common in Japanese homes, correct?

Does anyone reading this have one, or know someone with one?
    Yes it is correct that "normal" ovens are not common. However, a lot of people that move here don't realize (because the buttons are in kanji) is that their microwave doubles as an oven. You might have to downsize whatever you're baking, but I bake cakes and pies and shit in my microwave just fine. Ask your neighbors how to use it! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaobebe View Post
    Marche, Kaldi, Fressay Clas? Don't you have a car? You could hit all three in one day next time you're in the city.

Yeah, sunscreen. The ones I've tried have a watery texture so I never feel like I have enough on. And they come off as soon as you start to sweat.
    The two Fressays I go to (and the occasional Piago) have mixed shredded cheese, shredded mozzarella, tiny plastic-like cubes of mozzarella, processed cheese and those really big cheese-sticks.

The store in Keyaki Walk has a better selection, but they're so tiny and expensive..
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

I've bought both olive oil and balsamic vinegar at my local grocery store. They have several different brands to choose from. Not to worry. Also, if you enjoy pesto with your pasta, I bought that at my local grocery too.

Oh I should add certain fresh fruits. If you like apples, kiwis, and bananas then you're good to go. But if you want fresh strawberries or raspberries, they're only offered in season and can be expensive. I did find a small carton or raspberries for 1500 yen at the Hankyu department store, though!

ok. Things you can't get in Japan:

All the cool and yummy sounding foods and things listed above for a CHEAP price.
    And if I'm wrong about this on something
    then you've made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Oh I should add certain fresh fruits. If you like apples, kiwis, and bananas then you're good to go. But if you want fresh strawberries or raspberries, they're only offered in season and can be expensive. I did find a small carton or raspberries for 1500 yen at the Hankyu department store, though!
    Strawberries appear to be pretty cheap (well, relatively cheap) at the moment.

I miss raspberries..

Other fruits you can get easily: oranges, mikans, watermelon, honeydew/cantaloupe and pineapple.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Yeah strawberries are ok now because it's strawberry season! And I get lucky because my favorite ones are the small, more orange berries that are always the cheapest.

I only saw fresh raspberries for a decent 500 yen price in December, except for that insane 1500 yen package sometime in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    Other fruits you can get easily: oranges, mikans, watermelon, honeydew/cantaloupe and pineapple.
    Ohhh I am mad at pineapple because they stick it in everything. I see what should be a nice fruit salad in the store, and it's always mostly pineapple.

I'm not a big pineapple fan either. Figures they stick it in the fruit salads more than anything else.

Also, the grapes here are huge, but expensive, which is a shame. Seedless grapes, anyway. The seeded kind aren't that expensive.

To all incoming/Jet hopefuls...if you get in, ASK YOUR PREDECESSOR WHAT WILL BE IN THE HOUSE WHEN YOU GET THERE. A lot of people come here thinking they have to pack their whole life into a suitcase. DON'T. The house/apartment you get will likely be chock full of crap that your predecessor's predecessor's predecessor left. I have both my closets packed full of shit that I don't want/need that was left here and it's near impossible to get rid of it. The houses are usually pretty small and I'm already running out of room! Bring only what you need. The rest you can usually buy.

Almost forgot! For all you snowboarders/skiers out there...I don't know if this is how it is EVERYWHERE, but snowboards/equipment is pretty expensive. (You can find decent used equipment though.) I just found my $115 snowboard goggles that I got in the states for $264 in a board shop here! The pants will run you around 30000 yen ($300) and bindings will put you back about 2 or 300 big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post
    Oh yeah. I LIVE off of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Most of the medium sized cities should have stores that carry it.
    You'll probably have to keep the olive oil in the fridge in winter to keep it from freezing. Japanese houses don't have central heating, so sometimes the fridge is the warmest place in the house! (with the exception of the room you're heating with a kerosene heater...)

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    The two Fressays I go to (and the occasional Piago) have mixed shredded cheese, shredded mozzarella, tiny plastic-like cubes of mozzarella, processed cheese and those really big cheese-sticks.

The store in Keyaki Walk has a better selection, but they're so tiny and expensive..
    Sorry, I guess the way I wrote Fressay Clas: D didn't render properly before. There's a special Fressay near the Besia Culture Hall (used to be the prefectural culture hall) that specializes in import and gourmet goods. They have a fantastic selection of cheese, but yeah, it's too expensive.

party cups
    ping pong balls
    regulation sized beer pong table
    30 racks of PBR

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMart View Post
    party cups
    ping pong balls
    regulation sized beer pong table
    30 racks of PBR
    i would love a 30 pack of PBR right about now! interestingly, i did see PBR available in a grocery store in Changsha, Hunan province China, but never in Japan

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Yes they sell conditioner, this isn't a 3rd world country.
    They also have chocolate milk. Sometimes with school lunches.

Someone said balsamic vinegar. Yes, you can get it easily. I also bought malt vinegar the toher day.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Is it hard to find shoes for big women's feet? 9.5 - 10 American? I guess it's 25.5-26 cm.
    Only closer to bigger cities?
    Thanks.
    Jenna
    Married, aspiring JET for 2010, with 4-year-old girl.

Will Japan have Sauerkraut?
    Last edited by miks; March 13th, 2010 at 05:53.

Quote Originally Posted by miks View Post
    Will Japan have Sauerkraut?
    Pretty much any big city in Japan has an international store that sells sauerkraut, or cheese wheels, or whatever. There are various websites as well that cater specifically to the gaijin population. The international stores are pretty expensive, but with the JET salary, it shouldn't put too much of a hole in your pocket. They have costco in Tokyo, and Nagoya (that I know of) and you can probably find the food you want in bulk.