Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaplus2 View Post
    Is it hard to find shoes for big women's feet? 9.5 - 10 American? I guess it's 25.5-26 cm.
    Only closer to bigger cities?
    Thanks.
    It might be possible to find those sizes in a larger city. You don't want to shop for shoes in a smaller city (inaka) anyway. The clothes and shoes they sell are largely geared toward old ladies and farmers (aka curtain's from the 70's sewn into aprons and dresses)

You could always just buy from the men's section. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two styles honestly. The men here are all about being "pretty" and in fashion! lol

You might be better off bringing a few pair with you to last you until your next trip to the states.
    Last edited by phenom; March 13th, 2010 at 12:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    C'mon you faggot who we're piling on! Quit being such a bitch ass cunt!

Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post
    The clothes and shoes they sell are largely geared toward old ladies and farmers (aka curtain's from the 70's sewn into aprons and dresses)
    Are you mocking my style? I've been rocking inaka for awhile now. If there's anything you can learn from these folks it's how to dress completely badass. Just wait. I've seen the rice farmer jump-suits catch on in the cities already. Just cut off a leg and they call it "style".

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Looking completely badass in inaka, and looking badass in the city is a completely different animal, 3ngrish. Those looks of awe and wonder you're no doubt getting in the city are probably really looks of "WTF? I thought gaijin were supposed to look cool and hip and....NOOOOOO!?"

Looking completely badass in inaka, and looking badass in the city is a completely different animal, 3ngrish. Those looks of awe and wonder you're no doubt getting in the city are probably really looks of "WTF? I thought gaijin were supposed to look cool and hip and....NOOOOOO!?"
    why don't you just go screw your little photoshop, phenom?

I'm losing all my friends...first tender, and now you. I suck at this whole friends thing...*sniff* ITIL is such a ronery prace.
    Last edited by phenom; March 13th, 2010 at 12:51.

It might be possible to find those sizes in a larger city. You don't want to shop for shoes in a smaller city (inaka) anyway. The clothes and shoes they sell are largely geared toward old ladies and farmers (aka curtain's from the 70's sewn into aprons and dresses)

You could always just buy from the men's section. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two styles honestly. The men here are all about being "pretty" and in fashion! lol

You might be better off bringing a few pair with you to last you until your next trip to the states.
    thanks for the info.
    Jenna
    Married, aspiring JET for 2010, with 4-year-old girl.

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

for women's shoes, your pickings might be kinda slim even in the cities, unless you know where to look. shopping in a department store the other day, the biggest size they carried in the shoes I wanted was a 24.5 (about a US 8.5). i've seen some bigger sizes at little boutique stores. it just takes more hunting. if you don't love shopping, it can be really irritating.

i brought a bunch of shoes with me, and I'm glad I did.

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMart View Post
    party cups
    ping pong balls
    regulation sized beer pong table
    30 racks of PBR
    Party cups from CostCo
    Ping pong balls borrowed from school
    A bunch of folding tables put together
    Lots of Kirin

It's not the same, but beer pong is still possible. being on JET is all about adapting, right???

re: olive oil, I saw several shelves full of various types of olive oil at my relatively small grocery store today.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    for women's shoes, your pickings might be kinda slim even in the cities, unless you know where to look. shopping in a department store the other day, the biggest size they carried in the shoes I wanted was a 24.5 (about a US 8.5). i've seen some bigger sizes at little boutique stores. it just takes more hunting. if you don't love shopping, it can be really irritating.

i brought a bunch of shoes with me, and I'm glad I did.
    Yea, I'm 9.5 in US sizes and when I was in Osaka I had a terrible time finding shoes. I even decided to buy a pair of men's converses - had the same cutesy designs as the ladies - and had issues in most shops (pretty much only the smaller, converse-only store could help). Department stores? Forget it.
    shortlisted!

Jock straps.

If you get an international driver's license, how long will it be valid for?

Me.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMart View Post
    Jock straps.

If you get an international driver's license, how long will it be valid for?
    One year from the date of your arrival in Japan / the start date on the permit. Get your AAA to post-date it to start on your first day in Japan.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Has anyone had luck with grape jelly or jam? Even through flying pig there is nada. This makes me sad, strawberry just isn't the same in pb&j.

Oh, and if you posted here going "you can find EVERYTHING here hur hur hur" then send me some grape jelly and I'll believe you. :/
    Last edited by scarreddragon; March 16th, 2010 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by scarreddragon View Post
    Has anyone had luck with grape jelly or jam? Even through flying pig there is nada. This makes me sad, strawberry just isn't the same in pb&j.
    All my grocery stores carry it, as well as a wide range of jams/jellies. Mixed fruit, grape, blueberry, unknown-berry, strawberry, some yellow one w/ seeds, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    All my grocery stores carry it, as well as a wide range of jams/jellies. Mixed fruit, grape, blueberry, unknown-berry, strawberry, some yellow one w/ seeds, etc..
    Where are you located and which grocery store? I've asked everyone and they all are like "... grape jelly exists?" -_-

Oh and OP on oregano, it is in my local supaa. Turkey you can get through special order butcher people but you pay out the NOSE on it. Worth it though. The problem is more cooking it...

Any Fressays or Co-ops in your area? They usually have it.

Oh, and if you posted here going "you can find EVERYTHING here hur hur hur" then send me some grape jelly and I'll believe you. :/
    I know what you mean. Everything is obtainable in Japan on some level, but some things, depending on your situation, are just more realistically done without (i.e. would you drive 5 hours and spend a ton of yen on it?) My guess is you live somewhere rural?

Friends of mine in the next village once mentioned to their local grocer some items they really like, and the grocer ordered one of the things for them. Not saying it could happen to you, but it helps to get the word out if you are looking for something in your area. For instance, I have long since fully stocked my house with crunchy peanut butter, and yet I still run into people sometimes who are like, "OH! hey! There is peanut butter "crunchy type" at SATY etc. etc......"

And if you ever find your grape jelly.... stock up in case it's never ordered again!

You can't find grape jelly? Both grocery stores in my town have it.

I'm sure this has been talked about multiple times already, but I hate Japanese toothpaste. It makes me feel like I've rubbed my teeth with buttery mashed potatoes.

Where are you located and which grocery store? I've asked everyone and they all are like "... grape jelly exists?" -_-

Oh and OP on oregano, it is in my local supaa. Turkey you can get through special order butcher people but you pay out the NOSE on it. Worth it though. The problem is more cooking it...
    Aren't you also in the crane-in-flight-prefecture?