Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Can't be found in Japan- Common sense

Has anyone said that yet? I couldn't be fucked to read all these pages.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    You can't find grape jelly? Both grocery stores in my town have it.

I'm sure this has been talked about multiple times already, but I hate Japanese toothpaste. It makes me feel like I've rubbed my teeth with buttery mashed potatoes.
    Yes, for the love of God, bring your own toothpaste. I cannot stress that enough. You also might want to bring some extra floss because it can be pricey here.

Also, if you need powerful protection, bring your own deoderant. All they have here is roll on, gunky white stick, and weird spray on. I have not seen any kind of gel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

patjs sensei no ato ni tsuite yomimashou

"Aquafresh"

It's available. It has fluoride too . I checked.

Yeah, I brought a lot of toothpaste, too, but the Aquafresh you can get here seems fine. J-paste sucks ass, though. My teeth would feel cleaner if I brushed them with butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Oh also at Loft I believe I saw Crest, but in a strange looking package.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    patjs sensei no ato ni tsuite yomimashou

"Aquafresh"

It's available. It has fluoride too . I checked.
    Aquafresh isn't bad, it is at least made by Glaxxo Smith Kline and not by Lion or Sunstar who are like the snake oil salesmen of the toothpaste world. I still prefer Crest if I can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Oh also at Loft I believe I saw Crest, but in a strange looking package.
    Interesting. I'm going to have to check this out.

I have NEVER seen Colgate or Crest here. I'm sure if you go on a wild goose chase you can find decent toothpaste, but I'd rather just have the American stuff in reserve. Makes a world of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    Any Fressays or Co-ops in your area? They usually have it.
    Neither have it here, I check most times I go too. Blueberry, Strawberry, and some sort of light-colored ones are the norm 'round here, but no grape. Kaldi Coffee doesn't have it. The Flying Pig doesn't have it. Costco is way too far away for me to physically go and actually be worth the trip. I thought at first I was just missing it, but at this point I don't think I could be THAT blind.

I wouldn't say "rural"... I live in a small-med sized city in Gunma, a short trainride from Takasaki. Never seen it in Takasaki or Maebashi either. I check especially when the grapes are in season thinking they might have a "special edition" Japan likes so much, with no luck. I even check when I go to rest stops on the way to anywhere looking for it. I don't get it. Maybe it is so popular it flies off the shelves? Or maybe I'm just screwed.

I'll keep asking around... I don't know if anyone would be able to order it, but I'll ask if it is possible. I know you can do that at certain stores in the US, so it is worth a shot!

And yeah, I will buy enough grape jelly to last me a few years if I find it!

I think 3ngrishsensei hit the nail on the head... yes, probably EVERYTHING that is available overseas is available in Japan somewhere... but chances are that it is a small local shop, or only a region; you wont be able to find everything you want in one place. I find peanut butter easily (both smooth and crunchy), spices, etc. but that obviously isn't true for other areas. Just like mine seems to be a grape jelly free zone :/
    Last edited by scarreddragon; March 17th, 2010 at 11:12.

A good way to bypass the sadness of not being able to have something you love is to find the best possible substitutes, for now.

So, I'm going to post a few of mine:

Feta cheese cravings - Usually the Japanese cottage cheese combined with some sort of balsamic or wine vinegar does the trick.

"real" spicy sausage cravings - find some ground beef/pork and throw in some pickled hot peppers plus lots of the juice

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I also just want to point out that the opposite is true- many Japanese things can be found in America.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Nah, I'm talking about the Aquafresh stuff. Granted I used Crest back home, but I swear this stuff is just liquefied chalk. It's awful.

About Ali's last point: I went to visit Seattle and saw the internet in the room was provided by Docomo. I was shocked!

I am still miffed/disturbed by the lack of Costco in the Chubu/Tokai region. You'd think Nagoya or Aichi could get one.

Quote Originally Posted by scarreddragon View Post
    Neither have it here, I check most times I go too. Blueberry, Strawberry, and some sort of light-colored ones are the norm 'round here, but no grape. Kaldi Coffee doesn't have it. The Flying Pig doesn't have it. Costco is way too far away for me to physically go and actually be worth the trip. I thought at first I was just missing it, but at this point I don't think I could be THAT blind.
    Hm. Try that fancy grocery store in Keyaki Walk (across from Kaldi Coffee), perhaps? There's a new-ish chain of stores called Piago (formerly Joy Mart). I haven't been, but they seem large.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Nah, I'm talking about the Aquafresh stuff. Granted I used Crest back home, but I swear this stuff is just liquefied chalk. It's awful.

About Ali's last point: I went to visit Seattle and saw the internet in the room was provided by Docomo. I was shocked!
    I think you might be using a different kind. I've seen aquafresh and then I've seen aquafresh extreme or whatever it is, which has orange in the packaging. This is the exact same taste and everything as the version at home.

As far as the Crest Gezora, now that I think about it I can't remember if it was Loft or if it was the drug store in the mall in Narita City (it seems to cater to the foreign tourists)

Anyone graced with a dishwasher, washing machine and a dryer?

haha keep dreaming. You're lucky to get that gas range in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje View Post
    Blew out the electricity once when I tired to run my air conditioner and my microwave at the same time. Even if I was lucky enough to have the above, I think my house might explode.

I do use a hair dryer on clothes when I'm desperate. works okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje View Post
    of course, what sort of peasant do you take me for?

oh, you mean on JET? fuck no, I was living in some kind of brazilian favela
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I've got a washing machine and dryer, but no dishwasher. That's something that seems completely foreign here.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"