Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Quote Originally Posted by Tomonster View Post
    On the topic of allergies, I have a nut allergy. Am I likely to find "may contain nuts" written over every food item imaginable like in the UK or are they pretty good at labeling allergens on food?
    Not too often, unfortunately. But they are getting a lot better about that sort of stuff. So some packages for snacks or freezer food may have a list of allergens, but not everything is that user friendly. And it's tough to maneuver that stuff in restaurants. My mom's deathly allergic to nuts and shell fish so whenever I went anywhere they were either really confused when I asked them what was in their food or they brought out ingredient lists for me. That said, make sure you study food names and related words very diligently. And understand that waiters and waitresses may not know what makes up the food. We had a pretty scary moment in Hiroshima when mom tried okonomiyaki after they insisted there wasn't any shellfish in it (I'm guessing it was the sauce).
    Last edited by Ananasboat; April 21st, 2015 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomonster View Post
    On the topic of allergies, I have a nut allergy. Am I likely to find "may contain nuts" written over every food item imaginable like in the UK or are they pretty good at labeling allergens on food?
    A good number of things are labeled with potential allergens, like milk, wheat, etc. But in Japanese. Otherwise, you'll be doing a lot of reading the ingredients and playing it safe. Learn the katakana/kanji names for nuts. I know a few ALTs who have allergies that manage just fine using common sense and a little language skill. Mostly it'll mean forgoing a lot of omiyage stuff - sometimes the individual packets aren't labeled with ingredients, only the big package.

You can order Costco stuff online and get it delivered to you

Quote Originally Posted by CUPS View Post
    You can order Costco stuff online and get it delivered to you
    Is that right? Is that a separate company that does that? I think I've heard of that before.

What I hate is that I always want one of those huge cookies, but I also don't want to buy 12 of them at the same time because they'll make me fat.
    Last edited by johnny; April 26th, 2015 at 16:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Ya. Separate company. Something market... Yoyomarket I think. I've used it a few times. Pretty handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    What I hate is that I always want one of those huge cookies, but I also don't want to buy 12 of them at the same time because they'll make me fat.
    Be a man and share your food.

Not a bad idea actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.