Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

You get used to it. Initially, it does seem pretty gross, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Do they have 'nose drops' for blocked nose, and dry eyes drops? If they don't I have to pack some.

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    Japanese milk is chemically pasteurized..causing the taste and smell difference.
    Well that explains it, I thought it was just becuase they all seem to have like 4% fat content.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Do they have 'nose drops' for blocked nose, and dry eyes drops? If they don't I have to pack some.
    They love eye drops. You can find all kinds here. Vicks nose inhaler is like illegal or something here but they have similar stuff. I prefer vicks (that just got auto corrected to cocks...) and brought two tubes home with me from singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Tums. Make sure you bring them. They don't have them here at all. They will save you when your told to eat some lunch that would be on par with cruel and unusual punishment.
    "Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    A non-food question: Has anybody had their home magazine subscriptions sent to Japan?
    Yeah. They won't charge you for changing the address. But if you sign up for a new subscription here, it'll be $$$
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Shankerbelle View Post
    Blocks of cheese are rare in Japan if what the others have said is anything to go by
    Not necessarily - Costco has huge blocks, and you can find cheese in other ways:

Find cheese in Japan @ my blog

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Yes, can get nose drops and sprays, and eye drops very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    What about milk, butter, cream, buttermilk, and the like? I vaguely remember that Japan only really had 2% milk (fine with me), but it's been five years.

Most things can be found one way or another; it might take a trip into the city at an import store to find a few items. If not, you can always bribe somebody back home to ship you stuff.
    Can get fat free (無脂肪乳) and low fat milk (低脂肪乳). Some supermarkets may have a limited selection though.

Buttermilk - nearly impossible to find here.

Can find butter and cream very easily at any supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje View Post
    Lots of red text.
    Actually you can find whitening toothpaste - though not all stores will carry it.

Deodorant - many at the store actually do contain aluminum (anti-perspirant ingredient). Can also find Western brands. See how to find deodorant at my blog.

For my info about birth control pills in Japan: a guide to birth control pills in Japan @ my blog.

As for shampoo/conditioner, the western brands are actually not the same as what you will find in your home country, but that aside, there are many, many more brands available and it's possible to order what you are familiar with via Amazon Japan, FBC, etc., as well as find in stores such as Loft. Natural varieties are also available. how to find the haircare you need @ my blog.

Shaving cream is easily available.

Advil is NOT illegal, if you mean straight ibuprofen (which is usually what Advil is). You can also easily find ibuprofen in Japan (info from my blog).

Oregano is available at most supermarkets.

Chocolate milk is everywhere - you can find it at many convenience stores.

Satellite is available - varying plans/programs/pricing, etc.

Red hot chili peppers are most certainly available at most supermarkets.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Blah blah blah, vegetable broth, milk, blah blah blah...
    Vegetable broth should be available at most supermarkets (though some smaller ones may not have it). Of course it's also easy to make your own. They still may call it "consomme" or "bouillon", but I haven't found it with anything but veggies in it.

Low fat milk is: 低脂肪乳 and fat free/skim: 無脂肪乳. I've only seen one or two that have any additives in them, most are just milk. I usually only drink fat free milk and always try to avoid anything with chemicals. Some are even fortified with vitamin D.

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    Japanese milk is chemically pasteurized..causing the taste and smell difference.
    Do you have a source to prove that? As far as I know they use heat sterilization for dairy products like most countries do.
    Last edited by word; June 1st, 2011 at 08:28. Reason: User needs to learn to use the multiquote feature...

Whats the deal with sun cream over there? I hear its pretty expensive?

Banned

I dunno about bigger cities but in my inaka it's super expensive for a tiny little bottle. I'd def bring a few large bottles, especially if your placement is near a beach or in Kyushu/island etc.

Can anyone suggest to me some small, dried/packet things to take to Japan, foods that are easily available in the UK but not Japan? I'm going to visit someone in Japan next week and I want to take lots of goodies for the family to try. I've had a quick flick through this thread and there are loads of contradictions on what is and isn't available over there. I'm guessing regions are different (I'm going to Nagano). I can't take things like cheese or meat in my suitcase.

One thing to remember is that while a lot of us go to foreign food stores here/use foreign websites, a lot of Japanese don't (or they just go for the booze) so pretty much whatever you bring will be welcomed with awe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Thanks. So far I've decided to take Thorntons choccies, Earl gray tea, Battenburg cake, flapjacks, english mustard and branston pickle. I'm sure I'll think of some other goodies.

Does anyone know if you can get dilutey juice anywhere?
    You know, like robinsons squash and the like. A little bit of juice and then water.
    My supervisor says it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    Does anyone know if you can get dilutey juice anywhere?
    You know, like robinsons squash and the like. A little bit of juice and then water.
    My supervisor says it doesn't exist.
    Never heard of it, odds are, if they don't have it in America, then they don't have it in Japan.
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Are you sure?
    I'm certain you have that stuff in the US. Its quite universal everywhere in Europe at least and it just doesn't seem logical it wouldn't be in America.
    Squash not ring any bells?
    Last edited by Tyr; August 10th, 2011 at 22:23.

Squash juice? If I had seen it in America I feel like I would have bought/tried it for the novelty.

Are you sure?
    I'm certain you have that stuff in the US. Its quite universal everywhere in Europe at least and it just doesn't seem logical it wouldn't be in America.

Maybe it's what we call fruit juice concentrate? I've never seen if for squash though.

In America I've seen cold chocolate milk stuff that wasn't quite syrup, and you're supposed to add water to make a gallon from a small milk carton of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Squash juice? If I had seen it in America I feel like I would have bought/tried it for the novelty.
    It is a type of concentrate. If you want to try some legit British squash you can get Ribena in Black Current flavor at most Fred Meyers (or Kroger depending on your location). It tends to be expensive because it is considered a British Import, but I'm rather fond of it.

Are you sure?
    Not as a juice, no.
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Interesting....if you find it Tyr, let me know.