Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Default Re: Official "Things that can and cannot be found in Japan"

Smucker's natural is easy enough to find, if mildly pricy. Almond milk can be found, but you might have to travel to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Smucker's natural is easy enough to find, if mildly pricy. Almond milk can be found, but you might have to travel to get it.
    Cool thanks. Is soy milk maybe a little more common? As long as it's not dairy, I'm good, I just prefer almond if I can get it.

From what I've heard, you can find peanut butter, but it's usually in a very small container and costs a fortune (outside of Costco?). As far as finding natural peanut butter, I have no clue.

Edit: Finding stuff will probably depend on where you're placed too, haha.
    Last edited by ambrosse; April 16th, 2015 at 00:06.

Oh it totally will, yeah. I'm bringing at LEAST one jumbo jar of pb... two if I can fit it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Oh it totally will, yeah. I'm bringing at LEAST one jumbo jar of pb... two if I can fit it lol.
    I've never had any trouble finding peanut butter at convenience stores and grocery stores in my rural area. I'm talking about regular old Skippy. The jars were small, but it's there. Obviously I can't speak for the whole country, but I feel like bringing jars of peanut butter would end up being a waste of space and weight in your luggage.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I've never had any trouble finding peanut butter at convenience stores and grocery stores in my rural area. I'm talking about regular old Skippy. The jars were small, but it's there. Obviously I can't speak for the whole country, but I feel like bringing jars of peanut butter would end up being a waste of space and weight in your luggage.
    I'm a PB elitist... I will only eat the natural kind haha. I have it every day without fail and I know it'll be a comfort food when I get homesick. If it ends up pushing my luggage over the edge, obviously it'll be a no-go, but that still won't stop me from sneaking a smaller jar into my purse or carryon...
    Last edited by weepinbell; April 16th, 2015 at 01:03.

Cool thanks. Is soy milk maybe a little more common? As long as it's not dairy, I'm good, I just prefer almond if I can get it.
    Soy milk is available everywhere. I don't remember seeing any other non-dairy milks, but there's always Costco.

I'm a PB elitist... I will only eat the natural kind haha. I have it every day without fail and I know it'll be a comfort food when I get homesick. If it ends up pushing my luggage over the edge, obviously it'll be a no-go, but that still won't stop me from sneaking a smaller jar into my purse or carryon...
    Didn't you say Skippy? I used to buy a small jar of Skippy every week at my grocery store.
    車庫 B1F

Didn't you say Skippy? I used to buy a small jar of Skippy every week at my grocery store.
    Is it the natural Skippy? That's the only kind I like.... I guess I may go for the normal if I get desperate. :P

Is it the natural Skippy? That's the only kind I like.... I guess I may go for the normal if I get desperate. :P
    Oh, I'm not sure. I'm not so educated about peanut butter types. I thought your earlier post meant that Skippy is natural pb. It was the regular turquoise-lidded stuff.
    車庫 B1F

Oh, I'm not sure. I'm not so educated about peanut butter types. I thought your earlier post meant that Skippy is natural pb. It was the regular turquoise-lidded stuff.

Nah, that's the normal kind, the natural one has a brown lid. In times of desperation I can do the normal skippy, but it's just soooo sugary/chalky to me. On sandwiches, fine, but I'm that weirdo who eats a spoonfull of pb for a snack so I need the good stuff haha.

Not weird.
    車庫 B1F

You can always check out Kaldi or Jupiter or Yamaya etc for those things. Kaldi and Jupiter are much more likely to have the natural peanut butter, but I don't eat it so there's no loss there for me. I've seen almond milk at a couple Yamaya branches - next to the fruit juices. Soy milk is in every reasonable grocery store. And probably conbini too.

The last time I was in a Kaldi they had natural peanut butter from Smuckers. I didn't even know they made peanut butter.

It's all right if you like the natural stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Banned

I think I've seen Japanese branded natural peanut butter in regular grocery stores here several times. I made note of it, because peanuts butta was supposed to be super rare, but I seem to see it a lot. I don't buy it though, so I don't know for sure that I wasn't looking at like, tahini, or something.

There are a few brands of Japanese peanut butter. Always creamy, and a bit more salty/less sweet than American brands, imho. The Snoopy (Peanuts) branded stuff is actually pretty good.

Don't confuse it with Peanuts Cream, though, which is just margarine and granulated sugar mixed with PB.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

The snoopy brand is good, but pretty darn expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

There are a few brands of Japanese peanut butter. Always creamy, and a bit more salty/less sweet than American brands, imho. The Snoopy (Peanuts) branded stuff is actually pretty good.

Don't confuse it with Peanuts Cream, though, which is just margarine and granulated sugar mixed with PB.
    Word. I made the peanuts cream mistake. I have never tasted something so vile in my life. I imagine it's what cat poop tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Word. I made the peanuts cream mistake. I have never tasted something so vile in my life. I imagine it's what cat poop tastes like.
    I bought it, tried to use it on toast, hated it, tried to cook with it, failed, then threw it away.

The sugar definitely feels like cat litter, and it never goes away.

U da real mvp.

Banned

The Snoopy (Peanuts)...
    Oh, yeah, just got that.

The peanut creme comes with my kyuushoku sometimes. It's not bad, but I only use a bit for each chunk of bread that it comes with.