Thread: Last Class Game

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Last Class Game

Last class for my 1st year JHS students is next Friday.

The teacher asked me to make a 'free activity' game for the class, about 30 minutes.

This is a class that likes to run around as much as possible. Does anyone have a good game that doesn't revolve around them sitting at their desks?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Default Re: Last Class Game

I'm not good with these kinds of games... if you are able to go outside, it would be better..
    What about a line race game? First kid of each line turns to the second and says the target language ("hello" "hello" "how old are you?" "I'm 14 years old" for example) then high touch and go to the next kid. When kid 1 gets to the back, kid number 2 goes through asking. Then the next and next until the original kid is back at the front.

The gesture game is always a good one. Could get them to sit away from their desks and if you are giving the target language from outside the classroom then they are still running.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Something Read and Run? I do a lot of scrambled sentences read and run, and they seem to really like it.

If you aren't familiar with it, basically, it goes like this:
    5-10 scrambled sentences (using grammar points they have learned) are cut into strips and put up around the room. In groups, 1 student at a time goes to read the strips and report back to the group. I usually number the strips and have one sheet per group with numbered lines. The students who are sitting work on unscrambling the sentences. First team done wins.

Reading, writing, speaking, listening, constructing sentences based on grammatical rules and getting to move around are all included.

Sometimes the JTE and I each have a strip of paper, too, scrambled or not, so that they have to ask and listen instead of reading.

I've also done similar with pictures on the paper and strips of paper corresponding to the pictures.
    Last edited by twiceinalifetime; March 12th, 2010 at 23:30.
    Oklahoma to Okayama

Ooh you reminded me of another. Take a paragraph of text and copy it out onto a big piece of paper and place it on the wall outside the classroo
    . Kids are in pairs and one is the writer and the other runs to the paper, remembers a part of it and then runs to dictate it to his partner. A very noisy game and works every time hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Take a paragraph of text and copy it out onto a big piece of paper and place it on the wall outside the classroo
    . Kids are in pairs and one is the writer and the other runs to the paper, remembers a part of it and then runs to dictate it to his partner. A very noisy game and works every time hehe
    I've played another variation of this. It might be good for higher ability classes or be modified for lower ones.

Separate the students into small groups of about three each. Place three texts of appropriate difficulty (anything from couple easily understood paragraphs to a full article with technical language) outside the room in different places. Good for training skimming.

Each group should be given a question sheet, the answers to which can be found by reading all three texts. The question sheet has to stay in the room, so they also have to remember the questions. Only one person from each group can exit the classroom at one time and they can only read one of the texts (i.e. Student A can only read text A, student B, text B, student C, text C). It's a race to find the answers and return to the group, who then sends the next person out.
    Last edited by Kewne; March 14th, 2010 at 08:03.

okay, let me append my little dilemma onto here!

I have a few SHS classes that don't like to run or even MOVE. they'll stand up for a quiz game, but that's about it. right now I'm thinking I could give them some kind of jeopardy-type of game and then give candy to the winners.

any other ideas? what have you done with classes that are a bit less enthusiastic? this is a completely open period for every class I have. probably starting wednesday, I will do it 5 times.

Do you know attack 25? When they give you a correct answer they get to have a coloured square jn the grid. When a coloured square is sandwiched between two of another teams' square, they steal the square, like othello. You caviar your jeopardy questions

@ kingmongkut

First I'll preface this, saying everything I mention was for often mixed nationality classes taught here, in England, so it may be different.

For less enthusiastic classes, sometimes an interesting story works well, with appropriate tasks for the language or skill you want to teach. Of course it's completely hit and miss sometimes, so it's not good when you have to repeat it 5 times, unless it's something you're sure they'll like. For instance I did the Carla and Greg wedding (married without ever meeting because they won a competition), one class loved it, the other completely not interested. One activity which went well here, was being given role cards and asked to act out their roles, gossiping about the bride and groom with what they know.

Realia is a good way to increase interest. A few cans of food, a bottle of milk and some fruits turned a lesson on comparatives and superlatives, with a boring text about food in supermarkets into something interesting enough to keep their attention for an hour.

Did you just want games? It depends what they're being used for. For verbs you can often act them out (or ask a s-s from each group to) and have them guess for points, or do the same but use flashcards with a picture on. Vocabulary bingo, having the word or it's meaning on a grid, while you read the other out and see who understands enough of them to win first. A quiz show type game asking questions about whatever you're working on, in groups, if they're competitive enough.
    Last edited by Kewne; March 15th, 2010 at 11:52.

You might not have enough time for this now, but for people bored out of their minds during spring/summer break making a snakes and ladders board is a good idea.

I just took a big piece of that large graph paper they have, colored in a bunch of squares, and made piece out of some of that card stock. It's good for when teachers say things like "hey can you do a game tomorrow for 45 minutes. it can be anything"

Even my third years were pretty into it. If your kids are low-level then I suggest making the questions really easy so they can have fun. I tried it with hard questions and they lost interest.

If you have the resources to do it, Jeopardy in Powerpoint with sound effects was a hit. Even back in the day, though, just on the chalkboard always went well with the right questions. I tend to go for some categories where the English is easy, but the question itself is hard, like capitals of different countries, etc.
    Oklahoma to Okayama

Not a running around game, but I did it and I liked it!

I like doing a quiz game (I did it as a betting game -- double or nothing with a share of their pool of money), where you also play along and they get to take revenge on you with a question of their own after each one. (Their questions are about Japanese, of course, like "write X kanji".) It's a lot of fun and I think they enjoy getting to switch roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.