Thread: Looking for something to read

Default Looking for something to read

I've been looking for something good to read that an keep my attention. I've asked tons of people, but I have gotten no good suggestions. I started reading Death Note. The grammar is ok but there are too many words I don't know and I have to look up. Anyone got any suggestions?

Default Re: Looking for something to read

if you are looking for manga that is easy to read, anything set in a school setting is pretty easy to follow because you will know all the vocabulary already. that being said, they are usually boring.

another option is anything by Rumiko Takahashi. she is entertaining enough and the vocabulary she uses is fairly consistent.

Have you tried any of the Kodansha bilingual manga's? There not that easy to find but if I managed to get my hands on some im sure you could.

hmmm, this school one might be pretty good. It doesn't necessarily have to be manga though. Just whatever can keep my interests. Do they sell Kodansha bilingual one's at Junkudo? With the bilingual one is it really hard Japanese with the translation?

Death note was a little rough at first but once you look up some of the key words and remember them they keep getting repeated so you should be alright.

I don't read a lot of manga but it seems like anything that will end up being interesting will have some tricky vocab to get through...

The Kondansha bilingual series do many types of books so if manga isn't your thing I'm sure you will find something else of use.

Try here: KODANSHA INTERNATIONAL type "Bilingual" in the search column and you'll have quite a fair choice. The difficulty depends on the text. The manga was a mixture of Hiragana and most kanji that I already knew, so I found it easy to pick up the characters i didn't recognise from the translation beneath it.

curious george

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaneo View Post
    The grammar is ok but there are too many words I don't know and I have to look up. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Maybe one suggestion is to not worry so much about the words you don't know. Especially with Manga, you can pick up the gist of what's going on from the context, and you should just try to focus on the sentences that you do understand.

I mean, there are times when it's good to go through something forensically, looking at how the sentences are put together and learning any new words that come up, but I think there are also times when you should just read to pick up what you can, for your own enjoyment, and to get into the habit of figuring stuff out from context.

I'm currently reading Suikoden and Barefoot Gen and I'm finding them both harder than they need to be because there's just so much hiragana, but it's easy to follow what's going on. I'm also reading a thriller that my wife likes called Parallel World Love Story, and while I don't understand everything, I understand enough to follow the story and to pick up new words from context.

I also enjoy reading all of the crime stories in the newspaper, or about famous serial killers on wikipedia. A lot of those I do have to go through it with a dictionary, but I find my lurid fascination for murderous psychopaths and weirdos spurs me on.

as a foreigner in Japan, ダーリンは外国人 is pretty funny. the author's actually married to an American, and her observations are pretty astute, despite being presented through a humorous manga medium.

the vocabulary isn't too bad, and it should be particularly interesting if you're dating a Japanese girl.

And it has the added bonus of being written by the wife of someone who Debito hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    And it has the added bonus of being written by the wife of someone who Debito hates.
    hahaha, score! that's one of the things I particularly look for when choosing any publication!

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    as a foreigner in Japan, ダーリンは外国人 is pretty funny. the author's actually married to an American, and her observations are pretty astute, despite being presented through a humorous manga medium.

the vocabulary isn't too bad, and it should be particularly interesting if you're dating a Japanese girl.
    Sounds like a winner.

Under the Dome