Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help?

Default A little help?

Okay, so I just got in and my sansnensai teacher just gellfully announced that he has no plan. And if I don't comeup with anything it's going to be fruit basket again (JHS chugakko sannensei, oh yes!)

So I've decided to knock up a quick game of taboo for them.

I need you to think of cards for the game, e.g.

Video (watch, TV)
    CD (music, listen)

So a simply object followed by a couple of words that they should avoid saying. Capische? Lesson starts in thirty minutes.

Cheers.

These are terrible, but there you go...

Banana (fruit, yellow)
    Internet (computer, world)
    Coffee (drink, hot)
    Chocolate (food, sweet)
    New York (USA, city)
    Winter (cold, season)
    Football (ball, sport)
    Doraemon (cat, robot)
    Tokyo (Japan, city)
    Panda (animal, zoo)
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Doraemon (cat, robot)
    hehehe

Cheers chaps.

I am the best teacher ever. In our comparatives lesson today I dropped the ultimate 'Which is better...' question:

Daddy or chips.

Got the result I expected. The Japanese aren't so different as we assume.

Sorry I wasn't around on Tues to give you a hand Cantdosleep, but I think Dob came up with some good ones.

I only found out today that Doraemon was a cat and a robot! Did you know he is afraid of mice cos one bit his ears off?! I learn such useful information from the san nenseis!

When is it on TV? I wanna watch!!

"Daddy or chips" Great!!! :P

Han

PS I say "chips"!

This could be a whole thread!!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

You should read the Doraemon comics. You can buy bilingual versions for about 800 yen each, and they're hilarious. I think you'd really enjoy them, Han, and you can buy them from almost any bookshop here.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cantdosleepflower
    Cheers chaps.

I am the best teacher ever. In our comparatives lesson today I dropped the ultimate 'Which is better...' question:

Daddy or chips.

Got the result I expected. The Japanese aren't so different as we assume.
    OK So I am doing comparitives 2moz with a crazy ni nensei class.... What did you do in your lesson?

I need ideas! Anyone!

(And yes I do want to get in the question "Daddy or chips?"
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Hey Hannah, hope this helps.

I take it you're going to be doing 'Nani nani is better/bigger/more important/cooler than nani nani'.

There are loads of ways to do this, but the best one for reticent students I found was a tournament game.

Basically take a category, say sports for the first round, and put eight of them up on the board - with pictures of course.

The students have to decide which of each pair of sports they prefer the most via the second most democratic process in Japan - raised hand voting. So everyone says together - i.e 'Which is more popular/more exciting/better Soccer or Baseball?'. The students vote and whichever wins out the students shout out together 'Baseball/Soccer is more popular/more exciting/better than ....' - you get the picture.

Any drawed voting can be settled by the number one method of democratic process in Japan, Janken. Or ask the JTE which they prefer.

The winner of each pair moves into the next round and so on until you have a winner to be deemed most popular sport in this class. At which point you can ask the students if they agree or not.

OK, all good and everything and very very predictable.

So, don't use sports. I used sports for the first round, but after that threw in all sorts of stuff - Money Vs. Love, Health Vs. Technology, Yonsama Vs. Beckham/Ayu/Whoever. Daddy and Chips can also make their debut here.

I've done this a few times now and its always worked.

Alternatively, for more active classes, get each pair of students - i think they always sit in pairs, and ask them to stand up. You ask the rest of the class who is taller, or who is older and have everyone shout out the answer.

Some JTEs don't like it because some students don't like having it acknowledged that they're a short arse, especially the boys with girls. Also, I had one class all change 'taller' to 'fatter' for one kid. They just did it instinctively like some hive mind.... and... well.... it didn't work so well then.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you so much Fyrer! That's great!

I fell asleep after school (just thought I'd take a nap) and didn't wake up til gone 10pm, so having this and not having to think something up at midnight is good news!!

Does anyone else find they sleep a lot more here?

I do a lot less work (am far less active than I was in the UK) and yet I feel really tired at the end of the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    I do a lot less work (am far less active than I was in the UK) and yet I feel really tired at the end of the day...
    Yeah, that's what happens when you work less. A lot of JETs I know are like this, including me. It sucks.

I had a job like that (where I practically did nothing all day) and ended up tired at the end of the work day. To remedy that I took an hour nap at lunch break and then when I went back to work after lunch, I ate my lunch while taking calls. Then when I got outta there at 5pm, I was ready to go out and have some fun.

I fell asleep after school (just thought I'd take a nap) and didn't wake up til gone 10pm, so having this and not having to think something up at midnight is good news!!

Does anyone else find they sleep a lot more here?
    I fell asleep reading Fyreys post, Damn get that man some cockroachs to liven him up a bit

Why did you quote me then Ini?!

Anyone else snowed in school today?

It really isn't that bad but my supervisor called a taxi to take us to school (different schools)... I could easily have cycled as the roads are mostly clear.... Now I have to wait for a lift home....

I want my independence back!!! Agh!

Why did you quote me then Ini?!

It makes me feel close to you

All my images of Inikamoze posting always have him in a small dark room somewhere.

Its not dark, I'm scared of the dark - thats why I can't sleep. They come at night and steal your soul, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake

Quote Originally Posted by IniKamoze
    gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake, gotta stay awake
    Strange.
    That is exactly what I say to myself when at work.

Pro plus + redbull + absinth, all mixed in a pint glass - I call it the grand turk and theres no way you can fall asleep after a few of them.

You look a bit on edge this morning? Yeah I was riding the grand turk all night - Ahh memories of university

Everything's covered in snow here! It's lovely! But I'm not looking forward to sliding down the hill on my way home...

I was very naughty and snuck off at 2.30 today! All the teachers vanished (to some meeting), so I got up and went! (Had to walk though as my stupid supervisor called a taxi to pick us up this morning, so I didn't have my bike...) Couldn't stand being in that place with bugger all to do any longer! I have a day of no lessons on Thursday, so any ideas for stuff to occupy the hours let me know!

And this morning, such a fuss over a bit of snow! Supervisor is gonna call a taxi 2morrow too, even though I said it was fine (and I am capable of picking up my own taxi if I feel like.) Sometimes I wonder if he realises how old I am....

It means I can't go home when I want. I wanted to escape before lunch as it is beef curry (gross) and I have an adult conversation class in the afternoon and I sometimes use that as an excuse to get out of a grim lunch, well I did last week... How can I get away? Ideas please?! (It is too far to walk in the time)

And I've signed for another year of this.... why?