Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Anonymous

Default Alternates Anonymous

If you are an alternate for the 2010-2011 JET Program(me), hang out here with your fellow red-headed stepchildren. :-)

So, how many of you are going to follow through with the requisite paperwork and everything? And how long will you hang around waiting for an upgrade?

Default Re: Alternates Anonymous

My name is cranguy and I'm an alcoholic. Oh, and an alternate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

I'm an alternate.

I will follow through the paper work because I don't want to burn any bridges completely. At the same time though, I'm not going to place much hope on being upgraded because anticipating this sort of stuff is too tiring for me.

Instead, I'll work on the things I need to do (finish school), and explore the other options that I've been researching.

Quote Originally Posted by cranguy View Post
    My name is cranguy and I'm an alcoholic. Oh, and an alternate.
    I wouldn't mind some alcohol right now.
    going for a second round!

I am also an alternate. I am going back to school in the fall, so I am going to turn in all the paperwork, and I would be willing to go up to the date when I can no longer drop classes and get my money back. I think thats right around October if I remember correctly.

Although, if they do call me up past that point, I would probably still be really tempted to go, just because there is no guarantee I will get this far again next year if I reapply.

I know a guy who got upgraded a week after the shortlisters were notified, so you should all turn in your paperwork after coming this far. There's plenty of chance you'd be upgraded in May or June and not really be on any different of a schedule than if you had been shortlisted.

Yet another alternate here to join the ranks of the hopefuls. I'm in a position where I have a steady non-career related job to pay the bills, so I'm willing to ride it out and pray that some of the shortlisters fall short. As I explained it to my parents, I've been cast as an understudy, so now I just need to pray the lead comes down with a cold the night of the show

When is the latest we will hear back Pyro? I'm in a really sticky situation with rent renewal contracts and job contracts at the moment...If I were Shortlisted, these would be a cinch to cancel. But since we're still waiting, I need to know if I'm extending them, and when until.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkun View Post
    When is the latest we will hear back Pyro? I'm in a really sticky situation with rent renewal contracts and job contracts at the moment...If I were Shortlisted, these would be a cinch to cancel. But since we're still waiting, I need to know if I'm extending them, and when until.
    I'm not an authority or an insider or anything, my info just came from someone I know who did JET a few years before me. I believe you can hear as late as October or November theoretically.

Upgrades that late won't work for a lot of people, since you'll have moved on and made other plans and not put your life on hold for a year, but you could just as easily get upgraded in May. You never know until you try, and it just seems like a waste to go through all the effort of a JET application only to give up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrography View Post
    I'm not an authority or an insider or anything, my info just came from someone I know who did JET a few years before me. I believe you can hear as late as October or November theoretically.

Upgrades that late won't work for a lot of people, since you'll have moved on and made other plans and not put your life on hold for a year, but you could just as easily get upgraded in May. You never know until you try, and it just seems like a waste to go through all the effort of a JET application only to give up now.
    My job contract runs out in November, as does my housing. That would be the perfect time to hear. The worst time for me is sooner, as I need to resign my 6 month housing lease. :I Thanks a lot though.

I'm an Alt, reply form is already in the post recorded delivery, so all u other alt Brits, BRING IT, THIS IS WAAAAAAAARRRRR! Heh heh! Ah... gotta keep myself entertained...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    I'm an Alt, reply form is already in the post recorded delivery, so all u other alt Brits, BRING IT, THIS IS WAAAAAAAARRRRR! Heh heh! Ah... gotta keep myself entertained...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That's what this forum is for I guess. I would like for all us Alts to meet up and have a giant org--get drunk, but alas lots of overtime and no money are pretty big factors.

We could battle Pokemon if you want to fight that badly though!

as soon as I find my sodding passport, I'm sending mine off today as well. Bring it. :P

I found out today that I'm an alternate too. It's a weird feeling, like I can't decide whether to be happy or not. It's still better than not knowing; I feel like I can finally concentrate on revising for my uni exams!
    I'll definitely be handing in the paperwork, some shortlisters are bound to drop out. Just hoping for the upgrade sometime soon.

sinderella: LET THE ALTERNATE WAR BEGIN!! Last alternate standing gets the upgrade, right?

Think I'll sort it all tomorrow.

I feel a lot better than I thought I would. The last week I haven't really been motivated to do anything looking for a proper job wise, but not I feel all energetic and stuff. Can't be arsed with telling people about it for the next couple of weeks, though.

[Psst.... What do you say we murder the shortlisters during their meet ups? Any one with me?]

ALT here too.

There seems to be a lot of UK alternates this year

Last year as well. Seems a little unfair to have so many people running around paying for police replies if there aren't going to be too many places for them. We'll see.

Here's a question...
    Does it benefit you to get your ALT reply in quickly? Do you think they keep the replies in order - so those who replied asap will be at the top of the list?

Or, as I hope they will, do you think they use the scores given in the application / interview stages?

Surely it must be the later...

Ordering the list by application score sounds the fairest and most likely option, but who knows. It can't hurt to hand them in early though, my forms are being posted on Monday morning.