Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 2010 Upgrades

Default Re: 2010 Upgrades

Saw that on the other board. Congrats you lucky thing!
    Last edited by Azrael; December 5th, 2010 at 02:59. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by OsakaAmerican View Post
    You guys are not going to believe this. UPGRADED, 12/2.
    No details yet; just an email that a position is available. Hopefully I'll have something more on Monday!
    Ooh you're the CIR alternate from official. Congrats and well done! That's so incredibly lucky let us know how it goes

Great to hear! Congratulations!
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Ooh, congratulations, OsakaAmerican! Such a late upgrade - you're almost mythical!

There'll be an upgrade for Okinawa soon, as JET is leaving at Christmas. (Not me.)

Woooo Congrats OsakaAmerican. I remember your posts from the official forum, good luck!

Wow, that's amazing. Congrats. I had assumed this thread would be permanently dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

Hello Everyone. It's been a long time! I applied in 2009 through Washington, DC and was accepted as an Alternate. To be honest, I was crushed. I could speak Japanese, am half-Japanese, did study abroad in Japan, and graduated with a degree in Japanese. I thought I had killed my interview too. I had the interviewers laughing and smiling, and then...epic fail. What made it worse was that my boyfriend was shortlisted. Ultimately, I did not make it, and after feeling sorry for myself for about two months I decided to take the bull by the horns, and I am so glad I did! This is the reason I am posting this today! Don't give up if you really want to come to Japan.

My desire to go to Japan was deep, and my desire to remain here has been strengthened since arriving in 2009. I scoured the internet for various opportunities, and ended up working for a small Eikaiwa in rural Japan. The job was M-F, 2/3pm to 9/10pm. However, I often finished around 8:30pm. I came to Japan feeling that my position was not as ideal as JET (such as the 50,000 yen lower salary, and working afternoons/evenings) but I was still going. It turned out to be one of the best choices I could have ever made. My mornings were free to sleep in, and/or do various cultural activities during the morning, one of which included taking a Japanese class at the local university for exchange students! That was a challenging experience let me tell you! I was the only westerner, most of the exchange students were Chinese and thus Kanji was not an issue; at least for them.

I have met so many wonderful people, and since my boyfriend (now ex, but he is still a JET) was placed in the neighboring prefecture I met him often, and partied with many of the JETs. I taught six classes a day, and my students ranged from age 5 to 70. My students and I became quite close, they would often invite me to their houses, or parties and I traveled extensively. I attended many festivals, events and met many young Japanese people through my school who became my close friends and we often go out together, drinking, laughing and just having fun.

It has been a little over a year and half since I came, and then the biggest news yet! Through a friend, I learned about a direct hire ALT position through the BOE in my city! I applied, interviewed and got it! So now, I am where I wanted to be over a year and a half ago. In addition, my salary is actually a bit higher than a JET's and being that I was directly employed I had the knowledge and luxury of being able to choose where I wanted to live.

I am sure that direct hire positions vary from place to place, but the way things worked out I feel like I have gained so much. The bottom line is if you want something bad enough go for it! Sometimes things don't work out, and it's a major disappointment for sure, but if you don't try other things then nothing happens. JET is undoubtedly a great way to come here, but it's not the only way. I wish you all the best of luck for 2011.
    Last edited by Keichan; January 26th, 2011 at 12:04.

I love how people always have to give their "list of why I got screwed over by JET" that always includes things like they can SPEAK JAPANESE or have a DEGREE IN JAPANESE.

It's a good story but here's another tip-just because you think you are qualified and speak Japanese doesn't mean that you are right for the job. JET generally seems to get things right.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

I'm not sure I would go that far patjs. I know a couple of JETs who are rather terrible at their job.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

I think you miss the point of my story. I hoped that I would get into JET and it didn't work out. My point was to inspire those who want to chase their dreams. Perhaps I wasn't what JET was looking for, or maybe it was a numbers game. Who knows. I've met so many different types of JET's in Japan,(otaku's, Japan virgins, you name it) some of whom love their experience in Japan and their job, and some who do not.

I may have felt qualified, but that doesn't mean that I felt screwed over because I deserved to be here over someone else.I chose not to feel that way. People are chosen or not chosen for their qualification or lack thereof all the time. That makes me no different. It just was. But thanks for the comment anyway.
    Last edited by Keichan; January 27th, 2011 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    I'm not sure I would go that far patjs. I know a couple of JETs who are rather terrible at their job.
    + 1

I've met more than a small number of people here that have made me seriously question JET's hiring process haha.

But congratulations on being happy now, Keichan
    Last edited by Punchy; January 27th, 2011 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Keichan View Post
    I think you miss the point of my story. I hoped that I would get into JET and it didn't work out. My point was to inspire those who want to chase their dreams. Perhaps I wasn't what JET was looking for, or maybe it was a numbers game. Who knows. I've met so many different types of JET's in Japan,(otaku's, Japan virgins, you name it) some of whom love their experience in Japan and their job, and some who do not.

I may have felt qualified, but that doesn't mean that I felt screwed over because I deserved to be here over someone else.I chose not to feel that way. People are chosen or not chosen for their qualification or lack thereof all the time. That makes me no different. It just was. But thanks for the comment anyway.

I liked your story, it's a good morale booster so cheers for sharing.