Thread: Genki vs Japanese From Zero !

Default Genki vs Japanese From Zero !

Hello everyone ! I'm Zineb

I started learning Japanese in 2007 and took a break half through 2008. ( Let's just say I was learning Spanish at the same time and Spanish was a priority because I needed to converse with my mom's Spanish speaking family ) . I started studying again a month ago and realize that not only I forgot 70% of what I taught myself , there were a lot of loop holes in the way I studied.

So I now want to start from scratch and I know my method of studying from teaching myself previous languages ( English and Spanish ) .

Not to bore you guys to death , my question is : Should I buy the genki I book ( 60$ here ) or the 3 books of the ''Japanese from Zero! '' series ( 20$ each , hence 60$) ? Which one did you guys prefer ?

Thank you in advance, Newbie Z.

Default Re: Genki vs Japanese From Zero !

Hi zineb,

I'm using both books. Both are good in their own ways.

What I like about Japanese from zero - there is no international student or business man with Japanese family scenario. They introduce the japanese writings step by step and slowly replacing the romanize or romaji with the kana as you go along. There are cultural clips about lifestyle, food, culture of Japan.

What I like about Genki: I get a feeling as if I'm learning faster. Maybe because they give important list of verbs. As for Japanese from zero they introduce more daily nouns or things in the vocabulary lists.

If you can, get both. If not, I'd say get Genki both the textbook and the workbook. Because it also comes with cd for listening exercise. Japanese from zero doesn't.

Genki. Used it in uni as a text book. Very handy.

I second (third?) the Genki books. I've used a few other texts in college but Genki just presented learning language for different scenarios and such in a way that made more sense to me (unlike Yookoso, blegh). The place I studied abroad in Japan used Genki, and I thought their JPL program was way better than my home university that didn't use it.

I liked Genki.

Thanks everyone ! The replies were much appreciated.

I guess I will buy Japanese from Zero! Series ( book I to III ) and I got Genki from a *hum hum* reliable source that won't cost me any money ...

Haha you dick.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)