Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Atlantic Canadians apply through Montreal?

Default Any Atlantic Canadians apply through Montreal?

Well, didja? I'm wondering if you have to speak French for the Montreal Embassy, because I know some folks in Halifax whom instead went through Toronto.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Any Atlantic Canadians apply through Montreal?

I thought Canada has two officially languages?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Oh it does, but not everyone speaks both. Sometimes things in Quebec are strictly French (but government stuff is always bilingual).

I'm just confused as to why folks local to me would go to Toronto for interviews instead of Montreal (which is closer to the east coast). There's gotta be a reason.

Well, which did you go through?

Me? I've gone through neither, yet.

You could always e-mail the Montreal consulate to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    god forbid he actually go through the proper channels and ask someone whose job it is to answer questions about the program
    I know, I should be put to death for suggesting such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    You could always e-mail the Montreal consulate to ask?
    ^ That's probably the best idea, god forbid.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BoltMitch View Post
    ^ That's probably the best idea, god forbid.

Thanks guys!
    It's probably the best place to start, I'd agree.

It's also always possible that the Halifax people you know chose Toronto for some other reason unrelated to language: maybe they had friends or family there they could stay overnight with or something, or it was a more convenient place to travel to -- whatever.

By way of example, Philadelphia is pretty close to both New York City and Washington, D.C., and for some government purposes we're assigned to the D.C. region. But interviewing in and flying out of New York is way easier for me, because I have friends there, because the transportation links are better, and also because I just enjoy visiting New York more than D.C. if I'm going to be making a trip somewhere. So, since JET lets us choose which consulate we want to use...
    Last edited by rosie; April 19th, 2010 at 03:00. Reason: oops, i meant "consulate," not "embassy"

Yup, I'll make some calls to the embassies and see what's up.

Montreal is closer to Halifax than Toronto by car (it would be shorter if we could cut straight through Maine!). Sometimes flights go to Toronto and then to Montreal, so by plane it might make sense to just go to Toronto.

I'll do more investigating this week!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

THERE IS ONLY ONE EMBASSY AND MUHAMMED IS HIS PROPHETER>
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    yes, yes, it's true, we should all be saying "consulate" instead of "embassy." you're quite right.

(for anyone to whom this may not be obvious: the "embassy" is normally the unique main HQ of a foreign country in the host country. all the other ones, normally in smaller cities, are technically "consulates." unsurprisingly, the actual Embassy of Japan in Canada is in Ottawa, and the Embassy of Japan in the U.S. is in Washington D.C.)

Ah! Thank you for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Русский язык

I’m from Newfoundland (but was living in Nova Scotia when I applied). I applied threw the Toronto Consulate. It takes too long to drive to Montréal, Ottawa, or Toronto. And you can get pretty cheap flights to Toronto. So I applied threw Toronto because my brother lives there and I would have a place to stay, that way I also got to visit him for a few days before coming to Japan. I can’t imagine why you would have to speak French at the Montréal consulate. The job is still to teach English and it’s a government office so everyone working there should be bilingual.

You don't need to speak French for the Montreal interviews. I go to school in Quebec but I'm from Ontario. So I went through Montreal because it was easier to get to from school. Also, they did interviews in Halifax at Dal. The 3 days of Montreal interviews consisted of 2 days in Montreal and 1 day in Halifax. When you apply you just have to put Montreal down as they're grouped together for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I’m from Newfoundland (but was living in Nova Scotia when I applied). I applied threw the Toronto Consulate. It takes too long to drive to Montréal, Ottawa, or Toronto. And you can get pretty cheap flights to Toronto. So I applied threw Toronto because my brother lives there and I would have a place to stay, that way I also got to visit him for a few days before coming to Japan. I can’t imagine why you would have to speak French at the Montréal consulate. The job is still to teach English and it’s a government office so everyone working there should be bilingual.
    ^ You could easily drive to Montreal in a day, but you're right, it's a loonngg drive. Once in a while you can get some super-cheap flights (like 40 bucks one way) to Montreal from Halifax, but on the whole you're probably right that flights to Toronto are more abundantly cheap. Also, Porter is a pretty cheap way to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by MostCommonLastName View Post
    You don't need to speak French for the Montreal interviews. I go to school in Quebec but I'm from Ontario. So I went through Montreal because it was easier to get to from school. Also, they did interviews in Halifax at Dal. The 3 days of Montreal interviews consisted of 2 days in Montreal and 1 day in Halifax. When you apply you just have to put Montreal down as they're grouped together for some reason.
    ^ Wow, interviews at Dal?? That'd be pretty great, and damn close to where I live. I do karate there every weekend! I'm going to make some phone calls and get the hoohaw on all of this stuff.

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys! It helps.

yo. of course the montreal consulate speaks english... JET is an ENGLISH teaching program, isn't it? when i was leavinig, there wasn't even any french spoken at all, except as chitchat between the participants...

anyways, i came in through montreal 2 years ago so feel free to ask me any questions... might be safer to pm though as i only thread applying when i am EXTREMELY bored... toodles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lego View Post
    You say potato, I say blead.
    You say Japanese, I say japenese.

I'm guessing there are assistant french teachers given that France is a participant and sent 8 ALTs according the break down on the US site.