Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

Default To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

Hello senpais...

I am just a beginner level Japanese student. The only dictionary I have to learn Japanese is the the oxford beginner dictionary. As I go along in my studies, I find that there are many words that aren't included ( what did I expect from a beginning level dictionary right?). I'm considering to buy a better dictionary that I can use for a very long time.

However, thinking about the bulk and weight of most dictionaries and thinking about how long it takes to flip through the dictionary to find for a word, I am contemplating on getting an electronic dictionary.

But, do you think it is the right time to get one? or should I just buy a paper dictionary instead? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

for you, i suggest getting a proper paper dictionary. and a good kanji (paper) dictionary.

once you become fluent with being able to look up words and kanji quickly, then move on to an electronic.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    for you, i suggest getting a proper paper dictionary. and a good kanji (paper) dictionary.

once you become fluent with being able to look up words and kanji quickly, then move on to an electronic.

Okay, thanks. Any recommendations on what dictionary I should buy? Thanks

I love a little program that's on the nintendo ds. you can draw in the kanji/kana and it uses the same engine as many of the electronic dictionaries, but for only 30 bucks. forget the name though.

If you think you will get serious about learning Japanese to a high level you really need to make the investment and get yourself an electronic dictionary and learn how to use it.

And by electronic dictionary I mean a dedicated one and not a cheap ds or iphone one.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

when i studied abroad in japan a few years ago, i bought an electronic dictionary and it was my best friend. i did not have a laptop, and i used it multiple times every day. when i came back to america, i continued to use it throughout the rest of college, and then one christmas when i lost it at the mall i was really sad for a long time.

so i bought another electronic dictionary when i first got to Japan on JET. This time around, i hardly use it because the times when i would, i am at a computer and these two online dictionaries get me where i need to go:

Denshi Jisho - Online Japanese dictionary
    nllbg[NnANFXy[XAN

If you are going to be at a computer a lot, you may not need an electronic dictionary. however, i still bring mine along with me when i go on trips.

Also, i think what Ali is saying has some merit. Learning to use a real kanji dictionary where you look up kanji by radicals will go a long way in making individual characters stick in your memory, as well as giving you an overall appreciation and a good feel for how kanji work, both because of the way kanji dictionaries are arranged, and also the time spent flipping pages to get to the kanji you want.

If you are serious about studying Japanese I'm with Upgrayded. Go ahead and buy a proper dictionary. I have one on my phone and a DS but when I'm studying or in Japanese class it's much easier using the Canon word tank I have. I bought it from the beginning but the better I get at Japanese the more useful it becomes.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

True story.

The most fluent japanese speaker I knokw ain't never doen owned a DENKI JISHO

or a denshi jisho, neither!
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Yes, matter of fact I think you should stop using the internet to find out the best method for buying a dictionary and do some old fashion research and go to the Library. Only use the card catalog so you can practice up on your Dewey decimal system knowledge. Don't use computers to find the books. You will learn much faster without computers.

or just buy the books with the information you need off amazon.co.jp and start building your own library today. that would really be the best of both worlds, kind of like a steampunk search engine. if your new library were on an airship, i mean.

Okaaay.... I get mixed opinions here. I am as serious as it gets when it comes to learning Japanese. I have spent a lot of time and money on it, I definitely don't intend to go half way.

I understand about the wholesome goodness of having a paper dictionary. And yes, I agree that most fluent Japanese speakers don't own an e-dictionary. My one qualm about paper dictionaries is the size and weight.

But anyways, I suppose many of you here do own a paper dictionary? What good paper dictionary do you suggest I get?

If your biggest concern is money than get a paper dictionary. If not go electronic. If the people who say get a paper dictionary because you learn kanji radicals and stroke order better get a dictionary where you don't have a pad to write kanji. My dictionary (Canon Wordtank G55) you have to look up kanji by readings, stroke count, radicals or parts.
    Most dictionaries also let you jump easily between J-E, E-J, Kanji, and J-J dictionaries which is especially useful for non-native speakers. A lot of them also have other features such as memo pads so that you can save words you looked up to study them later, search history because often you'll find yourself looking up the same word more than once, quizzes and many more features. So from a stand point of learning, usefulness, efficiency, time, and size, and weight I would go with a Electronic dictionary. The only advantage a paper dictionary has is price I think.the paper dictionary other than price? Does anyone else have any concrete examples of why a paper dictionary would be better than an electronic dictionary?

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaneo View Post
    If your biggest concern is money than get a paper dictionary. If not go electronic. If the people who say get a paper dictionary because you learn kanji radicals and stroke order better get a dictionary where you don't have a pad to write kanji. My dictionary (Canon Wordtank G55) you have to look up kanji by readings, stroke count, radicals or parts.
    Most dictionaries also let you jump easily between J-E, E-J, Kanji, and J-J dictionaries which is especially useful for non-native speakers. A lot of them also have other features such as memo pads so that you can save words you looked up to study them later, search history because often you'll find yourself looking up the same word more than once, quizzes and many more features. So from a stand point of learning, usefulness, efficiency, time, and size, and weight I would go with a Electronic dictionary. The only advantage a paper dictionary has is price I think.the paper dictionary other than price? Does anyone else have any concrete examples of why a paper dictionary would be better than an electronic dictionary?
    Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Thanks enigmaneo for the input.

Banned

I used to have a copy of kodansha's furigana dictionary (it went missing when I moved, sniff, might get a new one). But I also bought a denshi jisho and I've really liked it. It's small enough to fit in your pocket, so you can look up things on the move or practice on the train. I also loaded the kanji learner's dictionary onto it so I can practice stroke order. Check out white rabbit press if you're not in Japan and thinking about getting one.

Banned

i'm up for a kind of inter jet library too. but i'm warning you guys now, some of my books are weird shit. and not all in readily understandable english.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    "heere's an Alternative Ulser fir ye hen! Spice ay life!"
    hahahaa yeah. that scene was a younger guy though so it was in more understandable english. but you get the picture

I don't know why you would ever need a dictionary. If you get a phone out here it will probably have a perfectly serviceable dictionary on it, and the internet is full of them.

Just get a Japanese boyfriend/girlfriend and talk to them in English all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    Just get a Japanese boyfriend/girlfriend and talk to them in English all the time.
    It's so true it made me laugh.

I've never had any trouble using my DS dictionary (rakubiki jiten) and, more recently, Japanese for iphone. there is absolutely no shortage of vocabulary; if it's hard to find something using one of the dictionaries, go to space alc on your phone.

has anyone tried these methods, but still found an electronic dictionary much better? I'm considering buying one, but it seems like the advantages would be minimal.

what are we talking for battery life with one of these things? the main thing it might have on a ds or iphone, as I see it, is that you could leave it on for hours while reading a difficult novel or something.