Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC ----> Kagoshima
    Posts
    246

    Default

    i would definitely get a good, advanced electronic dictionary no matter what stage you are at. i came here not knowing any japanese except hiragana and bought one that was all in japanese (the menu etc.). granted, the first month or two i didnt really bother with it and used my paper one, but once i could read the katakana and got some friends to help me out with the features listed in kanji it has just been wonderful. even after only a few months of studying it served as a great tool to help me have conversations with people in my offices -- i would just hand it to them to type whatever japanese word they were trying to say that i didnt get or the other way around. everyday i find it more and more useful in my studies and daily conversations, and i use it to look up kanji etc. i haven't touched my paper dictionary for 6 months.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

    I think I might have to change my mind after using my Android phone dictionary for a while. It's actually made for an English learner learning Japanese. I can write kanji on it, and the dictionary is alright. At my level it can satisfy most of my needs.

  3. #43
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default Re: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

    Anyone with iPod Touch or iPhone, I highly reccomend the app called "KOTOBA". It is free and quite good.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

  4. #44

    Default Re: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

    I think an E-Dictionary is a MUST, because it'll save you a lot of flipping time. And as for Japanese, an E-Dictionary with a touch screen that allows you to input Kanji directly will make your study much more enjoyable.

  5. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Anyone with iPod Touch or iPhone, I highly reccomend the app called "KOTOBA". It is free and quite good.

    I'm considering an Ipod touch right now. I checked out Kotoba (on some youtube review videos). Looks decent. Does it allow you to input kanji directly??

    (won't buy an ipod too soo though, waiting for Sept to see whether a new generation is coming)

  6. #46
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default Re: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

    Can you input Kanji directly?

    Not sure what you mean.

    All ipods have international keyboards, so you switch to Japanese keyboard and type that way.

    the ipod comes with a chinese keyboard where you can write the kanji and the system will reckgonize it. even though it is under the file for chinese, you can use this method to get japanese characters as well
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

  7. #47
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakaeyellow View Post
    I think an E-Dictionary is a MUST, because it'll save you a lot of flipping time. And as for Japanese, an E-Dictionary with a touch screen that allows you to input Kanji directly will make your study much more enjoyable.

    inputting kanji direcvtly is a cop out
    if you learn the radicals you can look up kanji just as quickly and learning the radicals fluently has other benefits as well
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ryuu Kyuu
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post

    the ipod comes with a chinese keyboard where you can write the kanji and the system will reckgonize it. even though it is under the file for chinese, you can use this method to get japanese characters as well
    Just make sure you set the keyboard to traditional Chinese and not simplified. I had it set to simplified at first, and it wasn't very good at recognizing input, but traditional seems to work just fine. Course, if you've got sausage links for fingers, good luck inputting complicated kanji on the iphone.

  9. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Can you input Kanji directly?

    Not sure what you mean.

    All ipods have international keyboards, so you switch to Japanese keyboard and type that way.

    the ipod comes with a chinese keyboard where you can write the kanji and the system will reckgonize it. even though it is under the file for chinese, you can use this method to get japanese characters as well

    I have a Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten for my DS. There are options to search with Kana and romaji but not Kanji (like a normal e-dictionary would by searching radicals or stroke orders.) That's what I meant by input kanji directly.

    Thanks for the input by the way. Sounds good to me.


  10. #50
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default Re: To buy or not to buy - Electronic Dictionary.

    Yeah, with kotoba you can search by indiviudal kanji or just by one or two or (more) radicals.

    And it's free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •