Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2011 intake

Default Applying for 2011 intake

Hi, does anyone know when the forms will be open to print out to apply for next years intake?

Default Re: Applying for 2011 intake

November no doubt. They are meant to be out in october, and for most countries they were, but last year they were quite late.

Your japanese embassy / country/state JET website will give you a pretty good indication though. Well the UK one does at least.
    Posted via Mobile Device

We have changes to make for the 2011 intake but look for the release to your governments in September. No deadline has been set for release yet.

Can't wait for the first crop of 2011 applicants. Looking forward to watching others enjoy the anguish that I had to go through.

Even though I am back in NZ now, do you think the fact that I taught English in Japan for 2 years a few years ago, goes against or for me?
    thanks for the replies btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarey View Post
    Even though I am back in NZ now, do you think the fact that I taught English in Japan for 2 years a few years ago, goes against or for me?
    thanks for the replies btw.
    For you. Alternative: Being a drunk like mothy. Addicted to drugs and a hobo...

Intake capacity for 2010 has been reached, but once it drops to an acceptable level (typically 28%), the intake valve will be opened.
    minor rant: abe vigoda

Remember that the application form is, if anything, the easiest thing to do. There is plenty of supporting documentation you can have ready to go before then. Crucially your personal statement.

I wouldn't start any of this until July at earliest. You'll just go crazy dragging it out even more.

I would also recommend grooming those you want for references, as many have a hard time with this later on. Also what Jordan said, a lot of queries with the app can be resolved by calming down and re-reading the guidance notes

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    I would also recommend grooming those you want for references, as many have a hard time with this later on. Also what Jordan said, a lot of queries with the app can be resolved by calming down and re-reading the guidance notes
    Grooming Sinders? Something should be done about you people...

Well with the premise that their references will be over 18, all should be well.

Yep, I can't wait to start posting in here again now that I can soon apply. I know I can post in ITIL anytime I wish, but it feels more validated if I am trying to get into JET, rather than bumming around. XD
    "I can't prove it, but I can say it."

Banned

YES. Butter up your references. Your references are really important, I am sure they are a large part of the scoring system - not just a validation that you can do the job once you've got it.
    I should have buttered up my refs better the first time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I wouldn't start any of this until July at earliest. You'll just go crazy dragging it out even more.
    + 1

Agreed on scoping out your references too. You'll want people who know you and love you.

Also, if you can, get involved with stuff that would bolster your application. For example, I became a reading tutor for my city's youth literacy program. It's a lot of fun and I think it helped make my application more solid

Quick question: I have been attending a university for animation and traditional art. Do you guys believe it would be wise to mention my work being sold in a New Orleans gallery? The gallery itself is situated on one of the most well known streets in the french quarter(Rue Royale). I believe this would show my ability to meet deadlines as well as dedication. Do you guys believe that the gallery curator would be a good reference or should I stick with my professors and educational mentors?
    "I can't prove it, but I can say it."

I think with references the most important thing is what they can say about you. Their professional title or role is secondary. It seems like a lot of people went for heads of department (because of their title) or Japanese teachers (because it was Japan-related) who didn't really know them that well. If you're really close with the curator and s/he knows a lot about you and your dedication to your work, then I'd go for it, but if you think it would sound more impressive, then skip it.

I also definitely second Ian's advice... I did some volunteering while waiting for apps to come out and it was a lot of fun and probably helped my app out a lot.

I'll also be applying for next year also but after looking at the forum I feel so under prepared and I'm slightly freaking out!

I finished uni like 3years ago and I don't have anything wow to put on my application...do you think I would still have a chance?

It's not about what we think.

If you have the qualifications and desire to do it, go for it. You still have a loooong time before the next application process. Do something with that time if you're serious about it and find something "wow" to add to your app.

hmm well i shall start thinkin of some awesome stuff I can do that I can add to me application. if I cant hopefully my determination to succeed will hopefully get me somewhere...yeah i know that sounded mega cheesy!lol

so long as the guys looking at your app can see that you want to go on the JET programme for all the right reasons (and you have a degree) you should be fine.