Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visibility of Anything Goes

Default Visibility of Anything Goes

Like before, you couldn't see AG unless you were logged in. Also, you couldn't post in AG until you reached 20 posts. This was a pretty good policy, and I'd like to make a push for this to happen again.
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

Default Re: Visibility of Anything Goes

without a visible anything goes forum noobs spend 20 of their first posts mincing around talking rubbish in the applying forum. By the time its visible to them they dont care and continue to post irrelevant tripe in applying. All the hidden forum and 20post thing does is encourage an "us Vs them" mentality between the established posters and the new people. This site has always been too cliquey, keeping it open to everyone is a much better idea.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Okay, well what about it not being visible unless logged in?
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

how about having it visible from the front page but when you try clicking on it to enter you get a log in screen saying this forum is for registered users only? That way new people to the site can see a general forum exists and it encourages them to sign up?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

That would make sense.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Yeah, I like that idea, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHakujin View Post
    Like before, you couldn't see AG unless you were logged in. Also, you couldn't post in AG until you reached 20 posts. This was a pretty good policy, and I'd like to make a push for this to happen again.
    I shall take your motion into account and cross reference it with the baron............unless I don't get the "job," then to Hell with policies and pushings of all natures, sexual or not for that fathom.

how about having it visible from the front page but when you try clicking on it to enter you get a log in screen saying this forum is for registered users only? That way new people to the site can see a general forum exists and it encourages them to sign up?
    but wouldn't this create a lot of one-shot accounts of people who wanted to read something one day? Then never return....?

the site survived for years having the general forum visible. There are literally hundreds of accounts that have post counts of 0. None of this seemed to hurt it. I don't understand why all of a sudden everyone wants it hidden, isn't that what the VIP forum is for?

I never said it should be invisible. I don't have any opinion on that.

Just thought forcing users to register would create more dead accounts. How much of a hassle that is? I don't know. maybe it's not. Just saying.

its not forcing them to register any more than keeping it hidden and saying you need to make 20 posts will

Use the invisibility cloak.

Invisible to everyone.

Banned

I did try invisibility and this happened... I need to control it better.

I agree it's existence should be known to new people but not that only registration should be required.
    As 3ngrish points out this may lead to a lot of trash accounts simply used to lurk in AG with no posts.

Perhaps a limit as low as a single post would help alleviate the problem. Someone could create an introductions sticky/forum for people to make their first introductory post in. This would encourage people to engage even just a little bit with the site's membership and present a window of opportunity for us to welcome them and convince them not to retreat into lurking.

In fact a "first post must be an introduction" rule might help in all aspects of the site not just AG; though everything should remain as readable without registration as it is now except of course AG.

I think Jordan has a good idea, having a minimal post count, as well as the login screen for AG would work quite well, whilst keeping AG visible. I'm not a fan of introduction threads tbh, peoples first posts seem so corny, but i understand the point of having there.

There was an introductions thread in applying if i remember correctly.

Just make it visable to everyone before we start getting bogged down with needless rules, arbitary post limits and other silliness. Its a open forum about teaching in Japan, if you want to build some little closed off community then piss off to facebook or something

I don't see the point in hiding it.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

That's what the VIP forum is for
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Looks like thats a service they have to pay for Cat.