Thread: Geos school chain files for bankruptcy

Default Geos school chain files for bankruptcy

"Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."

Banned

Default Re: Geos school chain files for bankruptcy

Poor AVN.... if you're reading this, girl, good luck with everything!

Man, that is terrible news.

GEOS has been dying for a long time.

The big eikaiwas don't really offer what the market wants. Look at Gaba and why they can grow. Huge differences in business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    Poor AVN.... if you're reading this, girl, good luck with everything!
    She mentioned this on the IRC earlier. Seriously fucked situation, but said she was expecting it as they were discussing it over at letsjapan. I was saying gods are in her favour, as she was accepted for JET.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceDivison View Post
    Why would you even care? You got shortlisted

These big chain eikaiwas have so much BS involved with them. Smaller eikaiwas are proportionately more productive... mainly because they don't REQUIRE students to blow cash on text books and the like. My friend is taking class at NOVA and she said that the class is 4500yen for 40 minutes. And if she cancels, its a 4000yen cancellation fee.
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHakujin View Post
    These big chain eikaiwas have so much BS involved with them. Smaller eikaiwas are proportionately more productive... mainly because they don't REQUIRE students to blow cash on text books and the like. My friend is taking class at NOVA and she said that the class is 4500yen for 40 minutes. And if she cancels, its a 4000yen cancellation fee.
    Fast food english why do you think they used to be called McJobs

Cancellation fees are how they make money. Everyone cancels at least once. THe fees for textbooks are a huge markup that the market used to accept as there were not all that many ESL texts "made in Japan" for the "Japanese market" thus the consumers though they were getting something special and unique. Thus 10,000 per text 2 or 3 times per year was thought to be an investment not a complete rip off.

At least the bunny is dead. Nova continues in name alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
    At least the bunny is dead. Nova continues in name alone.
    Bought by the same people that are buying most of Geos, in fact. They'll continue the Geos name, apparently - heavens forbid people should realise how few companies are actually in a particular business...

I find it interesting that Geos has gone bankrupt when the main allegation that gets aimed at EFL companies is saving money by shoddy employment contracts. Either this is a financial dodge of some sort, or EFL is almost impossible to make money in.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Bought by the same people that are buying most of Geos, in fact. They'll continue the Geos name, apparently - heavens forbid people should realise how few companies are actually in a particular business...

I find it interesting that Geos has gone bankrupt when the main allegation that gets aimed at EFL companies is saving money by shoddy employment contracts. Either this is a financial dodge of some sort, or EFL is almost impossible to make money in.
    Yeah it is funny that one. Both owned by the same people now.

The main allegation by teachers is the shoddy contracts not by the students. Nova's collapse was a direct result of them not being able to create contracts for 6 months whilst many students were canceling and leaving (with government ordered refunds). GEOS no doubt is much of the same.

The market is over saturated, too many companies with a finite (and shrinking) number of customers (who are actually supposed to get better at the language) means that there should be a limited lifespan to these places. So GEOS from 1986 to now is pretty much the normal life span I think.

Gaba will flourish for a while, since they don't actually have any employees just "consultants". Thus without the labour costs they can direct a huge pile towards ads etc. But then once the students realize that they are not actually learning all that much they will peel away.

The single man/ woman places should take over in the long run. Basically what needs to happen is there to be a national network of teachers (thus a standard of quality is maintained for the students, there is training, wages etc) better system I think.
    Last edited by Shirokuma; April 22nd, 2010 at 14:08.

What they need to do is realize English education is pointless for most people. The idea that a bunch of housewives and highschool dropouts need to learn english to go on jtb holidays and talk to foreigners in bars is madness.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    What they need to do is realize English education is pointless for most people. The idea that a bunch of housewives and highschool dropouts need to learn english to go on jtb holidays and talk to foreigners in bars is madness.
    Yep

Don't forget the pointless TOIEC scores as well. University entrance exams etc.

Also there is still the idea that taking classes with a native is a magic bullet to learning the language......

Now the Geos president wants to stop the bankruptcy proceedings.

This might go from "interesting because we teach English too" to "interesting to watch the shitstorm".