Thread: Alternate Status and other roads to Japan?

Default Alternate Status and other roads to Japan?

First off, congratulations to everybody headed to Japan this summer . Like many of you, I got Alternate Status (Washington, D.C. group).

Unfortunately, the email stated pretty clearly that they are hiring less alternates than in previous years; I am holding out and hoping that JET comes through, but it would be nice to know my chances as I consider my options moving forward.

Does anybody have any experience with other programs for teaching in Japan (eikawa, etc). What are the most reputable organizations? What are the best resources for understanding the application processes? How is the expense process different?

Thanks for the help/advice! This is a great community and I hope to have good news in the couple months.

Default Re: Alternate Status and other roads to Japan?

Hmm, I don't have any info for you myself, but you're probably best off heading over to the "Non-JET Career/Education" sub-forum. I didn't look around a lot over there, but a quick glance seems to indicate a lot of people over there are discussing the exact things you're asking about.

I hope you hear good news from JET soon, but in the meantime I agree it's a good idea to keep your options open. Best of luck!

you may want to try and jump on IRC and catch AVNich when she's online. i think she's working for a company out there right now. i guess you can pick her brains and see how she feels about it...

anyway, g'luck man!

Just a note on Interac: they don't pay for your airfare out to Japan. I've also heard stories about people not getting paid and other things like that with Interac, so just make sure you do your research before committing to any company.
    going for a second round!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMart View Post
    you may want to try and jump on IRC and catch AVNich when she's online. i think she's working for a company out there right now. i guess you can pick her brains and see how she feels about it...

anyway, g'luck man!
    Umm yeh, about that... as of today they kinda don't exist anymore...

I'd say like most said and check out the non Jet careers pages. Also i know people applying to Aeon and some one who got through with Interac this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    Umm yeh, about that... as of today they kinda don't exist anymore...

I'd say like most said and check out the non Jet careers pages. Also i know people applying to Aeon and some one who got through with Interac this year.
    wait, what????

Oh, and GEOS went bankrupt today, so forget about them.

Banned

I'm sure someone last year did a list of companies in the non-jet forum. Maybe by trivial? I'm sure if you browse to about this time last year give or take a few months, you'll find it. Or use the search function.

if you are applying from overseas go for one the big ones, interact, westgate, aeon etc. I'd stay clear of geos as they have just gone bankrupt. Looks like the people who bought nova will take them over but I'd give them a few months to get their shit together before getting involved with them.

All of them are pretty much the same. You will be able to find horror stories online for all of them because they are private companies who try and get the most work out of you for the least amount of money, unlike the wasteful government who throws cash at you for nothing. They are the easiest way to get to Japan and once you are here and have your work visa don't feel bad about quitting halfway through your contract once you find a better job.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I was an alternate 2 years ago and back then I believe 80% were eventually upgraded. Some after the year had already started. I'd say hold out. Your chances may be a little less good but it's still worth waiting since you probably have a decent shot at JET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Okay, I think this thread is over. Mike won the internet.
    http://www.japanliness.blogspot.com

I've heard some good and bad things about AEON, they don't pay for your airfare, Saturday is the busiest day at the school and they pay a little less than JET (~270,000 per month). However, they do sort out accomodation for you (capped at around 55,000 Yen per month, which can be real shit or good) and there are heaps of other foreigners/english speakers to hang out with.

good luck dude!

Every other opportunity in Japan that doesn't require years and years of accredited teaching experience is a load of wank. I'm off to China or Taiwan if this goes tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by dakyras View Post
    Every other opportunity in Japan that doesn't require years and years of accredited teaching experience is a load of wank. I'm off to China or Taiwan if this goes tits up.
    haha! nicely done.

But yes, from scouting around online, none of the alternatives apart from Interac and Aeon really lead me past their home pages. I later gave up on bothering with Aeon, and turned down a position with Interac when i found out i had an interview for JET. What ever the outcome, i'm pretty glad i did, would rather not have the chance to add to all the other horror stories.