Thread: Total Japanese noobe

Default Total Japanese noobe

I know my question has probably been answered already, but since I'm getting really impatient of looking, I thought I'd ask again. Anyway, I recently brought the Heisig book to help me learn how to write Kanji. It's only been like two days but I do feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I am a complete noobe and I would like to find a way to really get a grasp of understanding Japanese.

Now this may have already been answered already but i just wanted to ask. Since I'm learning to write Kanji, do I also need to learn Kana?

Also what books or methods should I use to learn how to write sentences using Kanji and also to be able to speak Japanese. I keep reading the Romaji isn't the best way to learn the correct pronunciation but I don't know what else to do...help!

Default Re: Total Japanese noobe

learn hiragana and katakana, pick up a copy of genki, study until your ears bleed.

or give up once you have learnt how to order a beer and pull a slapper.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I was a little worried when I saw that Ini got to you first, but that's probably the best and most to-the-point advise you'll get.

Lol thanks guys!

Knowing kanji without a knowledge of kana is like knowing the names of all your friends but not their faces. It's so assbackwards I don't even know where to begin.

Getting a good basic-level book would be a great idea! Put aside kanji for a few days to learn the kana really thoroughly (if you have facebook, the app kanji box has a kana drill section that will work you through them pretty well), and then once you've learned them, hang with the kanji at whatever pace suits you if you like, but make sure you are pursuing some kind of study of the language itself as well.

stick with heisig, people will tell you its useless but being able to understand the meaning and recognize the funny swiggles written on the blackboard will help you a lot in your first few weeks in the staffroom.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I know this is stupid question but still i am asking.shall I learn both kanji and kana?Is there is any relation between them?

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
    I know this is stupid question but still i am asking.shall I learn both kanji and kana?Is there is any relation between them?
    I hope they ban you for trolling.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.