Thread: Departing from a different consulate than where you interviewed

Default Departing from a different consulate than where you interviewed

Is anyone else planning on doing this?

How long does it typically take the interviewing consulate to transfer you over to the other consulate after receiving your reply form?

For anyone who has done this in previous years, which consulate did you end up sending your IRS/FBI forms to when you received them?

Could this delay placement?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for your help!

Not sure if this is an option in other countries besides the US... future applicants should keep in mind that they can only switch to a different departure city within the same group.

Group A
    Atlanta
    Chicago
    Denver
    Houston
    Los Angeles
    New York City
    Phoenix
    Salt Lake City
    Seattle
    Spokane

Group B:
    Anchorage
    Boston
    Detroit
    Guam
    Honolulu
    Miami
    Nashville
    Portland
    San Francisco
    Washington DC
    Last edited by kuzco; April 29th, 2010 at 03:08.

I am. I interviewed in Detroit and selected to depart out of San Francisco so I could spend some time with family in the west before I leave. I wanted to leave out of Phoenix, but like you mentioned you have to leave out of city in the same group you interviewed in. I imagine its pretty common for people to do that..especially recent college grads who move back home before departure.

I'm curious to see the answers to your questions. I was wondering about some of those things myself.

I'm doing the same (Group B, applied through Honolulu, going out of Boston). I assume that you'll do everything with the one that you applied through and will just leave from (and do orientation with) the one you changed to.

Default Re: Departing from a different consulate than where you interviewed

I interviewed in NYC my year and left out of Houston.

I can't remember exactly when all my stuff got switched over but I remember it being pretty early, at least by mid-May. I think all the reply form stuff (FBI, IRS) got done through the first consulate though? They will tell you along the way.

Your visa will be processed by the consulate you leave out of, however.

It has no bearing on when you get your placement information. (I think NYC still got my information and patched it through to my perm address? not sure.)

So just send everything to the consulate where you interviewed, until they tell you to change to the other consulate.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo_stick View Post
    I think all the reply form stuff (FBI, IRS) got done through the first consulate though?

Your visa will be processed by the consulate you leave out of, however.
    yes and yes.

My advice to those leaving from a different consulate:
    keep in touch with your interview consulate, and if you don't hear from the the new one for awhile, call your interview consulate and make sure the transfer was made. A simple mistake in your email or contact info can leave you in the dark. So check to make sure when it has been handed over; once your departure consulate contacts you, you will be in the clear.
    Expect to have to repeat some information to them though, since they will have no idea about your situation other than the paperwork they were sent.

Keep in mind you have to either mail or hand deliver your passport to the departure city consulate for your visa - give yourself time for this.

and have a good trip, greatpumpkin! Hope you found a good deal on your transport to SF

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngrishsensei View Post
    yes and yes.

My advice to those leaving from a different consulate:
    keep in touch with your interview consulate, and if you don't hear from the the new one for awhile, call your interview consulate and make sure the transfer was made. A simple mistake in your email or contact info can leave you in the dark. So check to make sure when it has been handed over; once your departure consulate contacts you, you will be in the clear.
    Expect to have to repeat some information to them though, since they will have no idea about your situation other than the paperwork they were sent.

Keep in mind you have to either mail or hand deliver your passport to the departure city consulate for your visa - give yourself time for this.

and have a good trip, greatpumpkin! Hope you found a good deal on your transport to SF
    If I remember correctly, that was your idea so thanks! I'm still a little bitter I can't just leave out of Phoenix but ah well. I've never been to San Francisco before so it should be fun. And Southwest flights are cheap!

they should put you up for a night in SF too, right?
    I've never been there either. I'm putting it high on my list of places to visit next.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngrishsensei View Post
    they should put you up for a night in SF too, right?
    I've never been there either. I'm putting it high on my list of places to visit next.
    I originally thought they would, but now I'm not so sure. I think I read something that said we are responsible for all of our own costs up till we get onto the plane to Tokyo. So it would be nice if they do, but I'm not banking on it.

I might go down a day or so early so I can see a bit of the city anyway.