Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japanese TV: I hear its terrible

Default Re: Japanese TV: I hear its terrible

NHK fee comes out to about 1,000 a month.

If you want more channels look into getting TV through yahoo or the hikari tv service. It's not cheap but I think it usually includes channels like cnn etc.

Hikari's so fat we can view channels on her

All TV sucks. Japan is no exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

It's not that bad. Just takes time getting used to.

Japanese TV is Japanese TV. You have decent odds at turning it on and finding something that is entertaining, even if it is entertaining solely for the fact that it is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by jandek View Post
    Red Theatre is pretty hilarious.
    I love Bakusho Red Theatre! It's one of the few programs I have to watch every week.

I also recommend Haneru no Tobira (Hanetobi). The sketches are quite funny. Arashi's new variety is pretty entertaining, though not as good as the old one Himitsu no Arashi-chan.

Also there are some great dramas showing this season including Tumbling (male rhythmic gymnastic team - think Waterboys/Gokusen) and Yankii-kun to Megane-chan (Gokusen-esque). Ok, so J-drama is pretty predictable, but it's still entertaining!

Even the morning news, Mezamashi TV has a segment on current fashion trends/new snacks you can buy from the convenience store and local specialities from a variety of prefectures. I don't know how anyone can say Japanese TV sucks! And besides, if you stay up late enough you can watch Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (and possibly more western drama), and there's the English movies to look forward to at least once a week. They show pretty current ones too... like they showed 300 just the other day.

I pay for NHK... 7,650 yen a month if you do 6-monthly direct-debit, which I stupidly signed up for to get rid of the pesky NHK man. I don't even watch NHK and the best show is Ryoma-den (a historical drama about Sakamoto Ryoma), which I'm not really interested in. *sigh*
    Last edited by Putaro; May 11th, 2010 at 22:11.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Convenience store food?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Convenience store food?
    Yeah! Seasonal snacks like umeboshi (pickled-plum) flavoured potato chips. XD

I have cable, which includes on demands and pay per view like services. It cost me 4600¥ a month. I get CNN, the history channel, MTV, BBC, animal planet, FOX, and more. It was worth it to me because I like to have something on in the background even if I'm not watching it. You can turn off the Japanese language dub on most shows to get your English fix.

Music station is a good show, and I like Red Theatre too. Also, the Arashi variety shows aren't bad.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
    Music station is a good show, and I like Red Theatre too. Also, the Arashi variety shows aren't bad.
    I love the Arashi variety shows too much. I've downloaded a couple eps here and there over the past year, and I love it. It's good, clean, guilty-pleasure TV.
    shortlisted!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

TV is such a time waster. It is one thing to have one or two shows that you like to watch and to have those be the only time every week that you actually sit down and watch TV, but other than that, TV is crap crap crap.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post
    I love the Arashi variety shows too much. I've downloaded a couple eps here and there over the past year, and I love it. It's good, clean, guilty-pleasure TV.
    I agree. Especially if you add some babies in the mix, Arashi variety shows make for the best type of variety television

I like it when they put live animals in a box and then make the celebrity reach in and guess what it is.

surprise its a poisonous snake!

Did you guys watch the 'Doubt Action' segment on Himitsu no Arashi-chan last night?

For those that don't watch it, two teams (Arashi and 5 comedians) compete against each other to see who is the best at faking reactions. E.g. Arashi must simultaneously eat a sausage dipped in hot sauce, only one of them gets a serving which is 50 times hotter than Tabasco and the other team (Comedian) has to guess who got it.

Or all of the comedians get essence of old socks smeared on their upper lip but only one gets water and Arashi have to guess who is faking their extreme reactions... it's so funny.

I wanna try it.

You can also get a satellite. Not cheap to install, but cheap(ish) payments every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Putaro View Post
    Did you guys watch the 'Doubt Action' segment on Himitsu no Arashi-chan last night?

For those that don't watch it, two teams (Arashi and 5 comedians) compete against each other to see who is the best at faking reactions. E.g. Arashi must simultaneously eat a sausage dipped in hot sauce, only one of them gets a serving which is 50 times hotter than Tabasco and the other team (Comedian) has to guess who got it.

Or all of the comedians get essence of old socks smeared on their upper lip but only one gets water and Arashi have to guess who is faking their extreme reactions... it's so funny.

I wanna try it.
    I love the fake CGI boss they have running the segment. It's so 90s.

I'm watching Willy Wonka dubbed over in Japanese on my crappy TV right now. First time I've seen this one (with Jonny Depp).
    positively Thrilled.