Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catastrophic Health Insurance

Default Re: Catastrophic Health Insurance

Our tax is about the same as America's. If you earn less than £37,000 here you pay less than 20% overall.

People need to let go of the idea that normal people pay significantly more tax here. We have less multi-millionaires and less terrible poverty.

In the US some states don't have any sales tax (New Hampshire, Delaware, etc) but - on average - the sales tax runs at roughly 5 - 7%.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    33.5%? Where you getting that from?

But yes I agree we're more heavily taxed (and unfortunately that is likely to continue with the present deficit). Though income tax is actually banded, from 0% for those with low-incomes and 10% on savings, to 50% for the highest earners.

And VAT doesn't directly fund the NHS - surely the US has sales taxes too.
    Single adults w/o children have an average rate of 33.5%. Married w/ 2 kids: 27.5. In the US: 29.1 and 11.9%, respectively, with only Mexico taking in less tax as a percentage of GDP than the US. Think your taxes are bad? - MSN Money

Most states have sales tax, and as mentioned, the others run between 5-7%. There's no federal tax (like the GST in Canada) or VAT though.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    Single adults w/o children have an average rate of 33.5%. Married w/ 2 kids: 27.5. In the US: 29.1 and 11.9%, respectively, with only Mexico taking in less tax as a percentage of GDP than the US. Think your taxes are bad? - MSN Money

Most states have sales tax, and as mentioned, the others run between 5-7%. There's no federal tax (like the GST in Canada) or VAT though.
    Ah you confused me by saying income tax. Your OECD figures are calculated from a range of taxes, including things such as National Insurance and taking into account benefits.

But I guess it boils down to whether you believe in a comprehensive social security system to look after those who can't always look after themselves. You selfish bastard.

Okay, are we talking sales tax or income tax? In NYC, there isn't a sales on on everything, but I damn sure paid city, and state taxes. And trust me, you get screwed.

The US does not have a VAT, currently. Apparently, the idea is being considered by the current administration. There is no blanket percentage of what a family of 2 or 3 children would pay. Your actual taxable income is not equal to the income in your W2. Deductions are taken (itemized or standard), excemptions are claimed. That's why people rush to add to their 401Ks! There are a lot of factors involved. Let's say your job pays you $100K a year. You paid $30K in federal taxes and ultimately took home $62K. There are many legal ways to bring that $62K down to a whopping $20K or less if you're savvy (and can prove it to aviod an audit).

Also, if you earn under a certain amount (I don't know what it is), when/if you file your taxes, you get back every penny you paid.

One more thing - in anticipation of the new healthcare laws, my company revised health insurance plans. I pay about $60 a month for coverage and my deductible is $300 (I think - I don't live in doctors' offices). After that, I am responsible for 10% to 20% of my medical costs.

I forgot to say that the percentage of tax paid is dependent upon what you earn. A family with 2 children, earning $200K is not going to pay the same percentage as the same size family earning $50K.

And New York's tax is 8.875%. And I hate it!

Their rationing policy - Scotsman.com News

and your 33.5% income tax / 17.5% VAT disagree with both those statements.

Your article, she does not exist.

I'm just going to assume that you're middle class and have never had to worry about financing your own healthcare.

It's amazing what graduating high school, getting a good job and not being a shiftless welfare queen can do in terms of the health coverage and lifestyle it provides.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Word: don't let that shiny new badge go to your head! It seemed obvious he meant health coverage, not insurance coverage, would wipe a person out. Then again, he didn't specifically say it like that, so you both lose.

The JET coverage is pretty comprehensive though, so long as you're hurt in-country (or are covered under the overseas policy). It never hurts to have a bit of extra insurance though. I have an $8/month policy (up to $500,000) through my credit card, plus there's the JET life insurance policy as well.

lax: will that plan you're talking about be taxed as one of those "Cadillac" plans?
    Yeah, you're right; in hindsight, I'm sure that's what he meant. Forgive me; it was like 5 a.m. when I typed that. I'd never heard of "catastrophic health insurance," but I have a really good supplemental plan that covers such things.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Remember kids, if you die on the job, JET pays out $10 million to your family. Sometimes I just stand under this crack above the frame in the doorway to the gym, hoping it'll go.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Remember kids, if you die on the job, JET pays out $10 million to your family. Sometimes I just stand under this crack above the frame in the doorway to the gym, hoping it'll go.
    Catastrophic. What about suicides?

There's a lot of long and wordy posts in here.

If you're ill or about to drop dead, then I wouldn't suggest going on JET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

I had pretty catastrophic health insurance before I came to Japan. It was awful! It barely covered anything!

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    There's a lot of long and wordy posts in here.

If you're ill or about to drop dead, then I wouldn't suggest going on JET.
    I think you've said the best advice in the whole thread

there's a thread on BD about people who get fired mid-contract, one guy was schizophrenic but didn't bother telling CLAIR this little fact.

OOPS