Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Advice on Living Here

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Default Some Advice on Living Here

I'm from Northern California, which is a pretty culturally enlightened place compared to most of America, so I'm down to try new things. I've tried all sorts of new foods here (It's disgusting that some honkies refuse to eat sushi/sashimi here), had a bunch of great experiences, met a lot of awesome people, and done stuff that I would never back home.

What's sad is that there are people here who are homebodies and never go out. Not to sound like a douche or anything, but these people usually come from rural areas from the Midwest.

I think it's such a shame that people come all the way to Japan, and just spend all days indoors, not doing squat. You should go out and live a little! You're in a foreign country, so who cares what's going on back home. You might be here for one year, two years, but everything will be waiting for you back home. You can then go back to your dead end redneck town, work at Walmart and smoke meth with all your buds from high school.

EDIT: Cranguy is a cool dude, and suggested I add in this nugget: Things will be exactly the same as when you left!
    Last edited by Gusuke; May 6th, 2010 at 15:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    You can then go back to your dead end redneck town, work at Walmart and smoke meth with all your buds from high school.
    You forgot "Things will be exactly as you left them" for extra insulty-ness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

Default Re: Some Advice on Living Here

Ooooh good idea!

Not to sound like a douche or anything, but these people usually come from rural areas from the Midwest.
    I agree with your advice to get out a little. People who come here and sit inside are a waste indeed. but you def. sound like a douche here, Mr. fancy pants from California.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    Hahaha. I love the conclusion.

Thanks. It makes a lot of sense. I think people are just afraid- afraid to try new things, experience the unknown, whatever- a lot of times in life and living abroad is definitely one of the worst times you can be timid and conservative.
    Is this a preface to try and get everybody to go skinny-dipping again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthsauce View Post
    scotchward's superpower is: singlet singularity.

Case in point:

My city hosts a sister city ALT from Iowa, who is here with her husband. They never travel anywhere in Japan for the most part, and just stay inside in their dingy little apartment.

I've probably gone to Tokyo more in 2 months than they do in an entire year.

She once whined on facebook that there's no "American style" hamburgers available in the town, despite the Brazilian store being right smack dab in the center of town, and they make a pretty mean bacon burger.

Not willing to try new things, she complained about pancake mix here not being like home, and made a special trip to Costco to buy it in bulk. I guess she needed pancakes just like a crackhead needs their next fix.

i call BS. i can be perfectly content never leaving my room. if going out and spending money makes you feel happy, then more power to you.

and as far as that sushi stuff goes... why would ANYONE eat that. it looks NASTY!

Case in point:

My city hosts a sister city ALT from Iowa, who is here with her husband. They never travel anywhere in Japan for the most part, and just stay inside in their dingy little apartment.

I've probably gone to Tokyo more in 2 months than they do in an entire year.

She once whined on facebook that there's no "American style" hamburgers available in the town, despite the Brazilian store being right smack dab in the center of town, and they make a pretty mean bacon burger.

Not willing to try new things, she complained about pancake mix here not being like home, and made a special trip to Costco to buy it in bulk. I guess she needed pancakes just like a crackhead needs their next fix.

mmm. That couple sounds like they're a real bummer. They should get out more.
    Maybe they should visit northern Cali. People are all really open minded in northern Cali.
    They never make generalizations. Just look at every situation, fresh as can be. It's really cutting-edge.
    Last edited by 3ngrishsensei; May 6th, 2010 at 16:11.

I think it's pretty ghey how many people I've met who ONLY shop at Costco for groceries.

You don't have to make it a competition - obviously going everywhere for the sake of saying you've been there is stupid and wasteful - but getting to know people locally and having a "regular" hangout spot is a really nice way to carve a uniquely "home" kind of niche.
    Last edited by WesleyCrusher; May 6th, 2010 at 16:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

only at costco.

my god. almost anything you need can be had in a regular grocery store here in japan. sure there are a few things (mainly processed junk anyway) that you cant get, but going without isnt torture.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    getting to know people locally and having a "regular" hangout spot is a really nice way to carve a uniquely "home" kind of niche.
    +1

Thank God you noobs have such an enlightened Californian to tell you how to do things. I only wish I had my very own Californian to listen to when I came here, then I'm sure I would be able to have fully enjoyed Japan because without me eating sashimi I can't have possibly had a good time in Japan or experienced the real Japan.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Note: possessing a Japanese Wife counts for about a year's worth of trips to Tokyo.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

I'm guessing the folks that need to know this aren't on here, though. Hopefully they will drop and some well-deserving alternate will get their spot.

I'm going to Japan BECAUSE it's not where I live. I am not at all a fan of where I live now. Too many churches.

Also american burgers and pancake mix? There's ground beef in Japan. There's flour in Japan. Make your own damn shit! I make pancakes from scratch and I am a shitty cook. It's not hard.

Ugh, some people make me sad. They don't have to be from the midwest to be losers; losers come from everywhere, sometimes even california.
    Last edited by cielya; May 7th, 2010 at 00:06.
    shortlisted!

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post
    I'm going to Japan BECAUSE it's not where I live.
    + 10

Damn right! Why the hell would you go off to a country like Japan and just sit inside the entire time? I plan to get lost as often as I can and see what I find etc.

That's really lame that people have that kind of a mindset.

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

I can't decide if you're trolling, or if your inner California beast just split free from your body and went straight for the noobs
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    They're FUCKING MEETING ABOUT POTATOES AGAIN

Naw, to me it seems like a "Golden Week just ended and I had a good time so I want to pass on advice to noobs so they can experience something similar" type of thing.

Or maybe I'm just being super naive :P

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    Note: possessing a Japanese Wife counts for about a year's worth of trips to Tokyo.
    Possessing like stored in a closet somewhere or what?

Just thought it was an odd phrase.

Banned

What's a costco?

Where in Nor Cal are you from, Gusuke? I need to know so I can make fun of you (Full disclosure, I grew up in Folsom. The fact that such a town, not to mention Placerville, gets to ride off San Francisco's "culturally enlightened" status makes me sad.)

Though this is good advice and I don't think it sounded douchey at all (being from Nor Cal I just had to jump in and be all "I know the secret that makes this LOL").

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post
    Also american burgers and pancake mix? There's ground beef in Japan. There's flour in Japan. Make your own damn shit! I make pancakes from scratch and I am a shitty cook. It's not hard.
    +1000! It's like the "lol hay guys I've never done laundry b4" post on the official forums. Oh my god I don't even.