Thread: Moderation of the Applying forum

Banned

Default Moderation of the Applying forum

In keeping with article 7 of the European Convention on Human Rights the principle of Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine praevia lege poenali will be upheld. There will be no bans or infraction points given for posts made before the 10th of May 2010. However I may trim a few unsavory posts out of the stickied threads at the top of the page.

From Monday a very simple moderation policy will be enforced. No trolling, flaming, spitting hot fire, bringing it, dropping mad bombs or straight up tripping. The applying forum is for asking questions and getting information relating to the application process. Don’t post anything you wouldn't want your mothers to read and try to keep things on topic. I’m all for fostering a friendly atmosphere and threads created for people to introduce themselves or for letting off a little steam over the frustrating application process is fine, but constant derailing of topics will not be allowed. Do not think that this forum is for new people and the general forum is for people living in Japan. If you want to talk about something that is not directly related to applying/moving to Japan then feel free to go start a new thread in the general forum, if some bitter old hack gives you any grief for it come and tell me and I’ll give them a titty twister. If we keep the general chat in the general forum and the application questions in the application forum everyone will be happy. If people feel they are unable to do this they will be encouraged to change their attitude via in-thread warnings, PMs and infraction points. Any serious violations will result in an instant ban. Off topic and offensive posts will be deleted, so if you notice one of your posts is missing please pm me to ask about it rather than make a number of posts saying “hey, where did my fu@*ing post about cheese string go?” as they will just end up being deleted too.

Now we could all play silly games where you try and see how much you can get away with before you get banned and then start threads complaining about it or you could just accept the applying forum for what it is and respect the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    In keeping with article 7 of the European Convention on Human Rights the principle of Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine praevia lege poenali will be upheld. .

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post

From Monday a very simple moderation policy will be enforced. No trolling, flaming, spitting hot fire, bringing it, dropping mad bombs or straight up tripping.
    I did not realize that article 7 of the European Convention on Human Rights had prejudices against african american rappers. How can you claim there is human rights and at the same time ban rap sensation Dylan from posting?
    guys, im not playing anymore

Question: on the odd occasion that a real chump needs a bite of a reality sandwich, is tough love ok, or do we have to polish their knobs while we "politely" tell them they're fools? Is a little venom ok so long as it's in the broader context of helping them?
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

This is all fine and well but citing human rights treaties when talking about internet moderation makes you seem far harsher and authoritarian than you maybe intend.

What's your view on 'waiting game' style threads for applicants to chat and/or complain during the months of downtime between application and interview or interview and result?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    This is all fine and well but citing human rights treaties when talking about internet moderation makes you seem far harsher and authoritarian than you maybe intend.
    that's going to cost you.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

What's your view on 'waiting game' style threads for applicants to chat and/or complain during the months of downtime between application and interview or interview and result?
    They can do that in 'Anything Goes'.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Ali: We all know applicants are shy at best to step into AG and terrified at worst.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Moderation of the Applying forum

Well too bad. if they want to go off topic and bitch and such, they have to do it in AG.

You can't have your cake and consume it, too.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Also, if you get banned, create another account and come back...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    Question: on the odd occasion that a real chump needs a bite of a reality sandwich, is tough love ok, or do we have to polish their knobs while we "politely" tell them they're fools? Is a little venom ok so long as it's in the broader context of helping them?
    If you are capable of offering constructive criticism without resorting to name calling then go ahead. Going "STFU N00b!" will not be allowed

Thats exactly as harsh as I intended it to be. Waiting game threads are a touchy subject, I see the need for them to encourage new people to post but once you have a few posts under your belt you should really try and migrate to anything goes. Ranting in a thread about the applying process is ok, ranting about what happened in your last uni lecture belongs elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They can do that in 'Anything Goes'.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    I don't think it needs to be as strict as Dombay kept it here. I *do* agree with Azrael as far as wanting to avoid the mentality that Applying is for new people and Anything Goes is for those who've made it to Japan, and as such any topics expressly designed to be off-topic should be made in Anything Goes. This is where topics like the Official Waiting Game and the Battle Royale belong. However, if a discussion about, say, life in the inaka turns into a discussion about people's favorite snacks to pick up at Lawson's or something related yet off-topic, I don't see any reason to rattle the cage and get pissy at everyone over it. Such topics are still civil/friendly, do nothing to subvert the atmosphere of informative and welcoming, and often times turn up interesting information about Japan that the topic creator wasn't seeking in the first place.
    Dombay was a pushover. If a discussion about life in the inaka turns to talking about snacks at lawsons thats fine, its still about life in the inaka. When it goes onto something that has nothing to do with life in the inaka and is totally useless to a new poster searching for information then it probably belongs in anything goes or a PM.

The only thing I will say about the Beer Barons idea is that most new posters don't read the rules. They just wade in and ask questions. That is fine, but they wont know about the whole "off topic" thing. I suggest that if a poster doesn't mind their thread going off topic then they should specify this in the first post. This way the new guys on their first post have their thread protected and the more seasoned posters have the option to open it up to the unwashed masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje View Post
    Also, if you get banned, create another account and come back...
    that only works when the people wanting to come back are more persistent than the moderators.
    Last edited by Azrael; May 9th, 2010 at 00:45.

Might I suggest you have these discussions privately in the first instance. It could potentially undermine the idea of a single fair moderation system for you to state separate opinions publicly.

Banned

I wouldn't worry. It will soon be obvious what is permitted and what isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    I agree with that. Seems the default in Applying should be on-topic rather than off because Applying itself is default "on".
    Sounds good to me. When we have a staff discussion to write up a new rules page this will be included.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

the rest of you will soon find out how bureaucratic J-land can truly be.
    Last edited by Djordje; May 10th, 2010 at 14:39.

woa, who's azrael??

European, he? What if we live outside of the mighty union of Europe?

Banned

Then the European convention on human rights doesn't apply and I'm free to subject you to cruel and unusual punishment

Splendid