Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interac august intake 2010

Default Interac august intake 2010

I've been given an offer by interac a few months ago and was asked to contact them in may to confirm I still want to work with them. I have done this and am now waiting for a reply. I was wondering if anybody here knows about the interac schedule for august Alts? Reading on this forum for 2009, I think it's all pretty last minute, with most people not even sure whether they are going to japan or not until a few weeks before. Seeing as I currently have a fulltime job, this isn't something that I can except- I can't just drop everything in 2 weeks.

Can anyone share experiences?
    Are there any fellow august hopefuls here?

!!DISCLAIMER!!
    --please don't use this post as an opportunity to lecture about the bad press interac get - I know all this all too well. I've decided to take the plunge and work with interac over an eikaiwa or another dispatch company for various reasons.
    thanks!

Default Re: Interac august intake 2010

In my case, I got my offer of employment about 3 weeks after my interview and from then they sent several emails detailing what I had to do before I got to Japan. If they asked if you were still interested its probably a safe bet that you are going to Japan, but I wouldnt go out and buy tickets yet.

Heres the timeline I had-

Middle of May- Offer of Employment
    Beginning of June- Received Placement
    Beginning of July- Info about when to arrive in Japan and asking you to buy a ticket
    Middle of August- Leave for Japan

So, there should be no problem for you yet. There will probably be an email in the next few weeks with an offer of employment and telling you what you need to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimalkin View Post
    In my case, I got my offer of employment about 3 weeks after my interview and from then they sent several emails detailing what I had to do before I got to Japan. If they asked if you were still interested its probably a safe bet that you are going to Japan, but I wouldnt go out and buy tickets yet.

Heres the timeline I had-

Middle of May- Offer of Employment
    Beginning of June- Received Placement
    Beginning of July- Info about when to arrive in Japan and asking you to buy a ticket
    Middle of August- Leave for Japan

So, there should be no problem for you yet. There will probably be an email in the next few weeks with an offer of employment and telling you what you need to do next.
    Thanks for the info. May I ask; when you say 'letter if employment', does that mean I will definately get a placement/job in japan this august/September? I have heard of people thinking they will go with interac in august, but then due to placements running out they are put on an alternate list until next march.

I'm interviewing tommorrow for interac in York hopefully I'll be accepted for August I really don't want to wait till next year to go. Again I've got a full time job I was hoping to give notice to really as not to mess them around. Still I'm counting my chickens here really I guess so lets see how this interview pans out....

Quote Originally Posted by JD1845 View Post
    I'm interviewing tommorrow for interac in York hopefully I'll be accepted for August I really don't want to wait till next year to go. Again I've got a full time job I was hoping to give notice to really as not to mess them around. Still I'm counting my chickens here really I guess so lets see how this interview pans out....
    Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

I will indeed I'd sure like to know what the situatution with regards to going in august if they say yeah so it'll be a question I can ask them! I'm just finalising my japanese self introduction now I've gone for teaching colours for that video part seems easy enough to launch out a few coloured cards. Also hoping that sing a song urban legend i've heard about the interac interview process is false

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuka View Post
    Thanks for the info. May I ask; when you say 'letter if employment', does that mean I will definately get a placement/job in japan this august/September? I have heard of people thinking they will go with interac in august, but then due to placements running out they are put on an alternate list until next march.
    Offer of Employment is what it sounds like. It means they want to hire you and you need to finalize it. So you would have a job. I guess them postponing it would be worst case scenario, but I would say if you get that far you are most likely going in August. But then you still have time if you want to wait for more info such as placement before you want to quit your current job.

People are still able to apply and leave for Japan with Interac this August? I thought applications were finalized for the year? Do tell.

Offer of employment is required to get a certificate of eligibly to get a work visa. Without COE no work visa no job.

So once you have your COE you are almost 100% certain there is a job for you, until that point it is up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
    Offer of employment is required to get a certificate of eligibly to get a work visa. Without COE no work visa no job.

So once you have your COE you are almost 100% certain there is a job for you, until that point it is up in the air.
    Thanks for the information! Finally I'm starting to get my head around this just one other thing- when I (hopefully) get the letter of employment from interac, does that mean I have to then get the coe myself? I thought that was something your sponsor of the visa had to get.

Thanks for sorting my head out- i've been going mad with anxiety! It always helps to talk...

COE is something your employer must get for you, you cannot really get it yourself.

The COE will be put into your passport before you go to Japan (otherwise you land on a tourist visa) Make sure to get it ASAP as processing can take a couple weeks. Sometimes they take longer, some have waited a month in the past.

Well I did the interview so i guess it just a matter of waiting for a response now from them. I'm hopeful but i did stumble at the start of that performance but recovered at the end, they did all the other personality tests and grammer tests too but we'll see how that goes.

Also there was no indication that we wouldn't be going in August it was pretty much a "get your stuff ready now for us so we don't have to chase you for it"
    Last edited by JD1845; May 12th, 2010 at 21:16.

Well I did the interview so i guess it just a matter of waiting for a response now from them. I'm hopeful but i did stumble at the start of that performance but recovered at the end, they did all the other personality tests and grammer tests too but we'll see how that goes.

Also there was no indication that we wouldn't be going in August it was pretty much a "get your stuff ready now for us so we don't have to chase you for it"
    Good luck! Hope you get good news soon. Let us know if you go in august-hopefully I'll see you there x

So, what does the interview with Interac involve?
    Do you have to do an example lesson?
    Who do you 'teach' this example lesson to?
    Are you asked to speak any Japanese?

Basically, is it anything like the UK JET interview?

Quote Originally Posted by HareBlare View Post
    So, what does the interview with Interac involve?
    Do you have to do an example lesson?
    Who do you 'teach' this example lesson to?
    Are you asked to speak any Japanese?

Basically, is it anything like the UK JET interview?
    about an hour intro about interac where theyre based, who they are yadda yadda and question time. (All in one big group with other interviewees. I had a couple3 other guys, one who looked exactly like charisma man, and an oxford grad who didnt make it with the JET intake for '09 - he's was pretty cool and bought me a sammich! The third dude was as dull as hell, so i cant remember much about him)

Yes you do give a lesson, to a woman with a camera... you get a flip chart and some pens, i suggest you plan something before you go. (i think colours, numbers and another thing are the choices...) Said woman may nod, furrow eyebrows or even suggest to start again if she thinks your concept may be to complicated or if you suddenly start talking about killing people.

You also have to give an introductory speech to you work colleagues - in Japanese. (Again, just to a chick with a camera)

To me not really like the jet interview, it feels quite informal, you sit at a lil coffee table type thing and "chat". Plus while your not in the interview you can chat to other people as much as you want, i distinctively remember giving lessons on Japanese introductions to charisma man.

Hey thanks for the awesome info Sinderella. Now does all of the above occur within one interview?

Yep, it sure does, I reccomend taking the day off work (if you work) especially if you do not live near oxford (where they hold interviews - well for Londoners anyway) I think we finished at 4, lunch ended at around 2 and who ever interviews first get to escape earlier
    Posted via Mobile Device

Well got a response back from them saying they would be unable to offer a position for augst and said they would be willing to review it for the next intake in March. So I probably gonna say yes to that but take but have a look round in the meantime at the other. i didn't really want to do an conversational school. I wish they hadn't taken my degree off me if they weren't going to give me the job though because now i'm gonna have to chase them up for it to get it back.

Well got a response back from them saying they would be unable to offer a position for augst and said they would be willing to review it for the next intake in March. So I probably gonna say yes to that but take but have a look round in the meantime at the other. i didn't really want to do an conversational school. I wish they hadn't taken my degree off me if they weren't going to give me the job though because now i'm gonna have to chase them up for it to get it back.
    Oh - that's a long long wait. Is that because they've filled up all of their August placements, or because they... didn't want to give you a job? lol - sorry, that sounds harsh.

Interac interviews more people than it needs especially from out of country. They bid like mad to get contracts from the boards. Sometimes these contracts are for 3 months only sometimes 1 year it is a case by case issue. All of the contracts break the Education Law (the ALT is supposed to team teach the class with the JET, the ALT has no teaching license thus cannot teach by themselves. Because Interac is the employer of those ALTs only Interac can tell them what and how to teach)

There are numerous ongoing lawsuits against interac and others about this issues. Also the continuos employment of an ALT at the same school for more than 1 year breaks the labour law and in Chiba interac was ordered to take 3 months off to comply with the labour law.

The bottom line is that both laws are not being properly applied thus there are spotty applications of both. That is what causes the number of teachers required by interac to fluctuate.

Also now Interac can get loads of desperate GEOS teachers for free.